Brits in the NRL

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

True , and you just have to watch NRL games to hear the importance they put on tactical kicking . The commentators are on it endlessly . Often here it seems it’s a way just to end a set and get it down the field 

If we start picking the likes of Sneyd we really are in trouble.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DavidM said:

I watch Harry Smith and sometimes I’m impressed , and sometimes I’m very underwhelmed . I’m a bit concerned no one is really grabbing that jumper completely 

Mikey Lewis is doing a very good job of grabbing that position

• Like 1

I suggest Sneyd not because I think he's a great option, but because he's the only experienced half with a good kicking game I can think of - so would be good to have as a back up to Williams. Smith has a lot more potential and may even be a better option now, haven't seen enough of either player this year to feel strongly about it. Happy to listen to others!

• Like 2

Just 3 Brits named in the NRL squads this week.

Elliott Whitehead and Ryan Sutton at the Raiders and Dominic Young at the Knights.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 23/07/2022 at 16:51, Dunbar said:

They were. 

No doubt Young wouldn't have made a difference to the score but as the Knights second highest ball carrier and highest tackle breaker this year, his carries would have helped a little... which the Roosters got in spades from Suaalii and Tupou, getting every set off on the front foot.

Not sure he would have made any difference at all. The week before against Manly his first couple of carries he got absolutely smashed and driven backwards each time. He also made some pretty poor defensive reads in that game, but his biggest fault was the play just before HT. Manly broke down the left and Young was stranded taking nobody. Thats fine players make poor defensive reads, but its the fact he just gave up on the play and never attempted to try and cover back or get back into the defensive line, he just slowly walked back. Luckily for them the play broke down and Manly didn't score (though did get a penalty and took the 2), but its was Young's complete failure to even try to get back thats the most worrying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

12 hours ago, Saint Toppy said:

Not sure he would have made any difference at all. The week before against Manly his first couple of carries he got absolutely smashed and driven backwards each time. He also made some pretty poor defensive reads in that game, but his biggest fault was the play just before HT. Manly broke down the left and Young was stranded taking nobody. Thats fine players make poor defensive reads, but its the fact he just gave up on the play and never attempted to try and cover back or get back into the defensive line, he just slowly walked back. Luckily for them the play broke down and Manly didn't score (though did get a penalty and took the 2), but its was Young's complete failure to even try to get back thats the most worrying.

To provide some context to the Manly game he copped a rib or rib cartilage injury, he should've been taken off straight away but made it to half time before succumbing and missed the following week, was touch and go to play last week and no doubt had to get needled up to play.

He has deficiencies but cover defence isn't one of them, Young is always chasing from his wing even when it's extremely unlikely he'll get there, see the chase of Kodi Nikorima the week prior where Souths were already celebrating the try before Young caught him from nowhere.

• Like 1

Young is raw but improving all the time. Unfortunately he's playing in a team that seems poorly coached and unhappy, with senior players guilt of dropping intensity regularly. Not the best environment for him to fulfil his potential, but at least he's cemented his spot and genuinely stands out as one of their better and more consistent players. I don't think he's ready for England this year, but the experience of playing a World Cup for Jamaica could be a great experience for him and help continue his development. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Young is raw but improving all the time. Unfortunately he's playing in a team that seems poorly coached and unhappy, with senior players guilt of dropping intensity regularly. Not the best environment for him to fulfil his potential, but at least he's cemented his spot and genuinely stands out as one of their better and more consistent players. I don't think he's ready for England this year, but the experience of playing a World Cup for Jamaica could be a great experience for him and help continue his development. 

I think this is a very fair summation.

10 hours ago, UTK said:

To provide some context to the Manly game he copped a rib or rib cartilage injury, he should've been taken off straight away but made it to half time before succumbing and missed the following week, was touch and go to play last week and no doubt had to get needled up to play.

He has deficiencies but cover defence isn't one of them, Young is always chasing from his wing even when it's extremely unlikely he'll get there, see the chase of Kodi Nikorima the week prior where Souths were already celebrating the try before Young caught him from nowhere.

Except in the Manly game it would see where he couldn't be bothered !!

• Confused 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

9 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

dom young is a great natural athlete but so was dwayne chambers and he was never gonna play on the wing for England either 

Sorry jonny, I think this has to be the daftest thing anyone has ever said on here.  We are talking about a player cutting his trade in the best Rugby League competition on the planet, not some novelty act in a reserve grade game. You have to do better than this.

If you want to compare Dom Young to someone, here is one.  He has 16 more tackle busts against NRL defences than Tommy Makinson has against Super League defences this year... in 2 fewer games played.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Sorry jonny, I think this has to be the daftest thing anyone has ever said on here.  We are talking about a player cutting his trade in the best Rugby League competition on the planet, not some novelty act in a reserve grade game. You have to do better than this.

If you want to compare Dom Young to someone, here is one.  He has 16 more tackle busts against NRL defences than Tommy Makinson has against Super League defences this year... in 2 fewer games played.

so you would really select DY  in the eng team - in a crucial game - eg against oz in the final - and not expect catastrophe ?

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

13 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

so you would really select DY  in the eng team - in a crucial game - eg against oz in the final - and not expect catastrophe ?

Catastrophe?  You don't half go to extremes.

This is what I said in June.

At this stage I would go with Makinson, Percival, Farnworth and Tom Davies as all four provide really strong carries early in the set while still offering an attacking threat.

But that could turn into Makinson, Newman, Farnworth & Young/Johnstone by the end of the year.

Lot's of time and lot's of variables still to come.

Of course things have changed now and I would have Joe Burgess very much in the mix.  But I would also have Young as he is a stand out player in a poor team in the best competition on the planet.

But I suppose I have to ask myself the question, would Dwane Chambers have been as good as Young in the NRL? Or maybe not. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Catastrophe?  You don't half go to extremes.

dce munster cleary etc  would put the lad under full assault with every kick in the book from their mighty repertoire and experience - he would be a lamb to the slaughter- is that what you want? cos that's  what will happen

• Haha 3

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Just so we are clear - Makinson is world class and Young isn't.... they must be very very thick NRL tinted glasses you have....

6 minutes ago, UTK said:

I would be very surprised if Young isn't starting for England in France 2025, if he isn't we've really bottled his development (unless of course he decides to stick with Jamaica).

So he plays in the NRL but we will be to blame if he doesn't play in the 2025 WC....ffs

• Like 2

I really find it strange to see the level of criticism levelled against a 20 yr old British player who has travelled to the other side of the world to test himself in the NRL and has been more successful than most other,more experienced British outside backs have over the last decade.

Edited by Davo5
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

So he plays in the NRL but we will be to blame if he doesn't play in the 2025 WC....ffs

Sorry mate I'm Australian and a Knights supporter so by "we" I mean the Knights have stuffed up his development. Apologies if that was lost in translation.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

I really find it strange to see the level of criticism levelled against a 20 yr old British player who has travelled to the other side of the world to test himself in the NRL and has been more successful than most other,more experienced British outside backs have over the last decade.

Spot on. He's massively out performed the NRL stint of current England winger Ryan Hall, for example.

Edited by ghost crayfish
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Just so we are clear - Makinson is world class and Young isn't.... they must be very very thick NRL tinted glasses you have....

Sorry, I don't understand this point.

Makinson is is our best winger and proven over many years.  Young is doing exceptionally well in a tougher competition. 

Why can't we be happy we have both of them (and others).

8 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

dce munster cleary etc  would put the lad under full assault with every kick in the book from their mighty repertoire and experience - he would be a lamb to the slaughter- is that what you want? cos that's  what will happen

I have said on another thread that I think the biggest difference between England and Australia for many years has been the quality of their tactical kicking game.  So I agree, those players would put the Engalnd back three under great pressure.

So which wingers are you picking to counteract this immense threat if Young would be a catastrophe and a lamb to the slaughter?