Brits in the NRL

Just now, Mr Frisky said:

Take it your new on here lad - first rule is have a sense of humour, 2nd rule is dont get triggered ever time someone disagrees with you - your mad about a tournament from 3 years ago..... which Great Britain and not England played in😉

Am not mad at all!! 😄

I just said that the English got a right slapping the last time they came over (which they did - from everyone) and you jumped in with a load of stuff about an Australian coach not giving young talent a shot.🥱

The discussion was about how Samoa will go against an England team including NRL guys mixed in with some from the weaker comp. I actually said I think you'll go OK, but I seem to have touched a nerve!

Instead of lecturing people about a sense of humour, why not go get one yourself?

Lad. 

Not many Brits in the NRL this week but...

I thought that Whitehead was more involved this week and seemed to come out of the blocks against the Panthers looking to lead from the front.  Overall he was ok but unfortunate to lose the ball after the Raiders first score where they had some momentum - from that the Panthers scored.

Ryan Sutton last 10 seconds from the bench being hit high on his first carry and failing his HIA.

Dom Young carried well again for the Knights in a much needed win but he lost an Adam Doueihi bomb in flight which led to a Tigers try.  Doueihi kicked well all game and the Knights back 3 all struggled with those floating bombs but it is definitely something for Young to work on.

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

17 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Not many Brits in the NRL this week but...

I thought that Whitehead was more involved this week and seemed to come out of the blocks against the Panthers looking to lead from the front.  Overall he was ok but unfortunate to lose the ball after the Raiders first score where they had some momentum - from that the Panthers scored.

Ryan Sutton last 10 seconds from the bench being hit high on his first carry and failing his HIA.

Dom Young carried well again for the Knights in a much needed win but he lost an Adam Doueihi bomb in flight which led to a Tigers try.  Doueihi kicked well all game and the Knights back 3 all struggled with those floating bombs but it is definitely something for Young to work on.

Dom is a funny one in the air, 6'6 and with all the explosive power in the world but he couldn't outjump Naden to get that ball after it bounced, not the first time this season where he's been unable to outjump someone either. Something he'll need to develop and work on as his career progresses because he could obviously be one of the biggest threats in the game there.

Not taking the catch in the first place was one of his baby giraffe moments but defensively he was very good, denying Naden a couple of tries by showing him the outside and backing his speed to make the tackle.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Programme Guy said:

Am not mad at all!! 😄

I just said that the English got a right slapping the last time they came over (which they did - from everyone) and you jumped in with a load of stuff about an Australian coach not giving young talent a shot.🥱

The discussion was about how Samoa will go against an England team including NRL guys mixed in with some from the weaker comp. I actually said I think you'll go OK, but I seem to have touched a nerve!

Instead of lecturing people about a sense of humour, why not go get one yourself?

Lad. 

The weaker comp thing and how Samoa have more NRL players so we're a better team was rolled out by the Aussie commentators in the 2017 match - which England won easily - despite haven't nearly all SL players from a "weak comp" -  as you put it.

I'm sure the WC will answer your questions - just maybe have a read up on the difference between the England RL team and the GB (British Isles 13) team.

Edited by Mr Frisky

14 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

The weaker comp thing and how Samoa have more NRL players so we're a better team was rolled out by the Aussie commentators in the 2017 match - which England won easily - despite haven't nearly all SL players from a "weak comp" -  as you put it.

I'm sure the WC will answer your questions - just maybe have a read up on the difference between the England RL team and the GB (British Isles 13) team.

Yep. I think it's a weaker comp. Definitely. 

You can agree to differ if you like. You must be the first person I have ever heard casting doubt on that one, but you are entitled to your opinion. 

58 minutes ago, Programme Guy said:

Yep. I think it's a weaker comp. Definitely. 

You can agree to differ if you like. You must be the first person I have ever heard casting doubt on that one, but you are entitled to your opinion. 

No NRL is stronger overall, that's obvious but a team like Saints could finish in the top 5 in the NRL, after say Wigan and Cats on their day there is a big drop off.

Its your blinkered NRL amazing and SL weak that isn't right - I attend both each season ( with work im in oz for 2 months a year so attend Roosters games) - there are some amazing players in SL.

Just now, Mr Frisky said:

No NRL is stronger overall, that's obvious but a team like Saints could finish in the top 5 in the NRL

there are some amazing players in SL.

Happy to agree to differ, on both points. Saints would be nowhere near top 5 IMO.  

If there are some "amazing" players in Super League - there can't be many, as none jump to mind right now. The league just seems to get weaker every year unfortunately. It's entertaining, for sure, but quality is not it's strong point. 

Anyway - happy to have my opinion while you have yours!

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, UTK said:

Dom is a funny one in the air, 6'6 and with all the explosive power in the world but he couldn't outjump Naden to get that ball after it bounced, not the first time this season where he's been unable to outjump someone either. Something he'll need to develop and work on as his career progresses because he could obviously be one of the biggest threats in the game there.

Not taking the catch in the first place was one of his baby giraffe moments but defensively he was very good, denying Naden a couple of tries by showing him the outside and backing his speed to make the tackle.

In fairness, Young is more accustomed to playing centre so is less used to having to field high bombs all the time. Also the tactical kicking and high bombs in NRL is significantly better than over in UK. I’m sure he’ll learn and improve with time

• Like 1

Sure Dom Young has areas to work on but he’s learning and improving all the time and his involvement is really good. Plenty of carries from his own end which are always strong , loads of energy , never hides even after an error , can finish a chance with pace and strength and is strong in defence man on man. He can look at himself in the mirror and be content even in an underachieving side . Whitehead and Sutton generally aren’t pulling any trees up , and particularly until he got his head smashed in Radley showed some outstanding contributions 

Edited by DavidM

19 hours ago, DoubleD said:

In fairness, Young is more accustomed to playing centre so is less used to having to field high bombs all the time. Also the tactical kicking and high bombs in NRL is significantly better than over in UK. I’m sure he’ll learn and improve with time

I still think that Young would be a better centre than winger.

But I was reading a few Aussie forums over the last couple of weeks and it was interesting to see many people advocated keeping Young on the wing because winger is a much more important position than centre in the modern game.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

14 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I still think that Young would be a better centre than winger.

But I was reading a few Aussie forums over the last couple of weeks and it was interesting to see many people advocated keeping Young on the wing because winger is a much more important position than centre in the modern game.

They actually think wing is a more important position than centre,wow.

14 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

They actually think wing is a more important position than centre,wow.

I guess there is some logic in it.  The classic centre to winger try is still there but the fullback is just as likely to throw the last pass to a winger these days - or maybe even an edge back rower.

Add in the key carries on plays 1 and 2 in a set and I can see why winger is seen as an important position.

Personally, I think centre is still an important position and I would have them as equal but I can see why the Knights fans would want Young, as one of their key attacking weapons, on the wing.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Add in the key carries on plays 1 and 2 in a set and I can see why winger is seen as an important position.

I think you have nailed it here.

With his sheer physical size, you would want him on the wing in order to utilize him on the early carries.

He would be an asset to almost any team in that role. 

28 minutes ago, Programme Guy said:

I think you have nailed it here.

With his sheer physical size, you would want him on the wing in order to utilize him on the early carries.

He would be an asset to almost any team in that role. 

Makemson is world class so he is probably first or second on the England teamsheet.

With Johnstone out injured it will probably be Marshall on the other wing, given the form he is in this year. Big is one thing but as Wigan have proved this year fast (and they have 3 very fast players) is probably more important in the wide positions, if you can't catch a player he will probably hurt you.

Edited by Mr Frisky

29 minutes ago, DavidM said:

As of now I think he’s in the right spot , especially playing outside an experienced player like  Gagai 

Yeah you’d think they’ll keep him on the wing until he gains the experience to allow him to move inside to the centre’s which is much the harder position to play well in.

Always felt Gagai is a better winger than centre.

25 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah you’d think they’ll keep him on the wing until he gains the experience to allow him to move inside to the centre’s which is much the harder position to play well in.

Always felt Gagai is a better winger than centre.

I agree with that.  Gagai may be a good player for Young to play outside of due to his experience but he not a wingers centre as his default is to run rather than try and position/find space for his winger.

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree with that.  Gagai may be a good player for Young to play outside of due to his experience but he not a wingers centre as his default is to run rather than try and position/find space for his winger.

Definitely . It’s quite frustrating at times . The Knights have two centres like that , yet ironically their wingers have scored around 20 tries 

4 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Definitely . It’s quite frustrating at times . The Knights have two centres like that , yet ironically their wingers have scored around 20 tries 

I have just had a look at the numbers.  Young and Edrick Lee have 20 tries between them but Gagai and Bradman Best only 6 try assists between them (and they have played more games than the wingers).

In fact Young and Lee have 4 try assists!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Makemson is world class so he is probably first or second on the England teamsheet.

With Johnstone out injured it will probably be Marshall on the other wing, given the form he is in this year. Big is one thing but as Wigan have proved this year fast (and they have 3 very fast players) is probably more important in the wide positions, if you can't catch a player he will probably hurt you.

I think I'd rather have Burgess on the wing instead of Marshall. He seems to be having a good season 

• Like 4

On 07/08/2022 at 13:09, Mr Frisky said:

No NRL is stronger overall, that's obvious but a team like Saints could finish in the top 5 in the NRL, after say Wigan and Cats on their day there is a big drop off.

Its your blinkered NRL amazing and SL weak that isn't right - I attend both each season ( with work im in oz for 2 months a year so attend Roosters games) - there are some amazing players in SL.

Completely off topic, but do you have any jet lag tips? I tend to go over for about a week a year on business (I stay longer when taking a holiday there), and still feel I haven’t cracked it... 

Like you, I agree that clearly the NRL is overall a higher standard, but there are plenty of excellent England players in SL. We have a very large pool of full time professional players. When we combine that with having access to some NRL players, being at home, and having our crowds behind us we can be very competitive. Fwiw, if for some reason there was a combined SL/NRL league I think SL clubs would take up 12 of the bottom 15 places for a couple of years, but would then adapt. 

13 hours ago, JM2010 said:

I think I'd rather have Burgess on the wing instead of Marshall. He seems to be having a good season 

Yes Burgess after struggling for a couple of seasons is in the form of his life. He also has the size advantage over Marshall.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Completely off topic, but do you have any jet lag tips? I tend to go over for about a week a year on business (I stay longer when taking a holiday there), and still feel I haven’t cracked it... 

Like you, I agree that clearly the NRL is overall a higher standard, but there are plenty of excellent England players in SL. We have a very large pool of full time professional players. When we combine that with having access to some NRL players, being at home, and having our crowds behind us we can be very competitive. Fwiw, if for some reason there was a combined SL/NRL league I think SL clubs would take up 12 of the bottom 15 places for a couple of years, but would then adapt. 

For jet lag, I usually just stay up when I get there and spend a few days just getting used to the time difference- usually about 3 days in all is good.

Aways head to a Roosters game but its not been the same at the SCG - roll on the new stadium.