Brits in the NRL

18 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yep, its up to the manager at the end of the day.

I'm sure he won't just pick players on the basis that NRL players are better than SL player like some on here seem to base everything on  - I'm sure he will look at individual players and their strengths and weaknesses. If Radley starts then someone like Knowles on the bench is a great option and shows our strength in depth - something England have better than any other team with the exception of NZ and Oz.

On an other note, hope Whitehead gets his form back.

Could Knowles play 2nd row with Radley at 13?

21 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I recognised you were being ironic. I was supporting your point.

As we discussed on another thread.  Isiah Yeo is the incumbent for Australia yet never played for them.

He really isn’t. He might be the presumptive front runner to be picked based on the form of the last 18 months but that still does not make him the incumbent.

Similarly Origin is not and should never be built up to be the pinnacle of the game.

once upon a time you could make a case for 30 of the top 34 players coming from origin with a few Kiwis and Brits making up the rest but now with many opting to forgo origin for their heritage nation that is not close to the truth.

A player is surely being blinkered in seeing it as the biggest honour to be picked by their state rather than the Kangaroos with that honour being selected from the entire nation.

On 13/08/2022 at 18:14, DavidM said:

And yet I watch Cameron Murray and think he’s pretty much the complete player and one of the best in the world. Interesting what Big Mal does . Murray may play on an edge but I think it denudes him a little bit 

Agreed. Murray is a much better player than Yeo in my opinion. He offers far more. Best loose forward in the game. He’s less effective on the edge as you say

Only two Brits named to play in the NRL this week - Dominic Young at Newcastle Knights and Elliott Whitehead for Canberra Raiders. 

But Luke Thompson, Oliver Gildart and Ryan Sutton have been named in the reserves for the Bulldogs, Roosters and Raiders respectively. 

Good news that Thompson is close to a return.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

On 14/08/2022 at 22:54, DoubleD said:

Agreed. Murray is a much better player than Yeo in my opinion. He offers far more. Best loose forward in the game. He’s less effective on the edge as you say

I think i agree with this.

Penrith are the new Melbourne; you could take players out of that collective and they're not as good elsewhere.

I listened to a podcast a few year back where an ex Aussie RU international was talking about studies on relationships within team sports and the conclusion was that a cohesive team is better than a talented team. Is this Penrith and therefore goes to explain why Cleary and Yeo just werent that good at Origin?

• Like 1

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Only two Brits named to play in the NRL this week - Dominic Young at Newcastle Knights and Elliott Whitehead for Canberra Raiders. 

But Luke Thompson, Oliver Gildart and Ryan Sutton have been named in the reserves for the Bulldogs, Roosters and Raiders respectively. 

Good news that Thompson is close to a return.

As a roosters fan it’s the biggest ###### Gildart isn’t playing. Is 5 tries not enough to warrant to a first grade game, Maybe he should aim for 6 or 7 next round.

The problem for the Roosters is that while Luke Keary and Sam Walker are very good creative players, they are both very lightweight and can be targeted at the edge in defence.  Line up Gildart next to one of those and you have a field day for some of the monster centres/edge forwards in the comp.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The problem for the Roosters is that while Luke Keary and Sam Walker are very good creative players, they are both very lightweight and can be targeted at the edge in defence.  Line up Gildart next to one of those and you have a field day for some of the monster centres/edge forwards in the comp.

We Already have that problem with momirovski, Gildart would be a much better option still.

10 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

We Already have that problem with momirovski, Gildart would be a much better option still.

Don't get me wrong, I would like to see Gildart get a run for the Roosters as they like to move the ball and I think he could be a real attacking threat.

But the bottom line is that he is (according to the NRL profiles) 10cm shorter and 10kg lighter than Momirovski and that would make a difference defending what is already a light edge.

2 hours ago, MattSantos said:

I think i agree with this.

Penrith are the new Melbourne; you could take players out of that collective and they're not as good elsewhere.

I listened to a podcast a few year back where an ex Aussie RU international was talking about studies on relationships within team sports and the conclusion was that a cohesive team is better than a talented team. Is this Penrith and therefore goes to explain why Cleary and Yeo just werent that good at Origin?

Yeah I’m in alignment with this. I suppose the big test will be how Cleary does for Australia at the end of the year. He’s clearly a very good player but there’s a little question mark there. 

I always thought Cronk was similarly one of those players who did well just because he was in the Melbourne system but then he went to the Roosters and also stood out

Gildarts 5 tries can be seen here. The last couple while playing on the wing it seems.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2022/08/14/nsw-cup-nswrl-tv-highlights-bears-v-knights-round-22/

• Thanks 2

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

4 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Gildarts 5 tries can be seen here. The last couple while playing on the wing it seems.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2022/08/14/nsw-cup-nswrl-tv-highlights-bears-v-knights-round-22/

Looks like the last 3 were from the wing.

I was wondering why a poorly performing Knights NRL team were not mixing their side up a little... Well that performance shows there isn't much in the NSW Cup side to promote.

1 hour ago, Number 16 said:

Huge opportunity for Gildart particularly given the Roosters' form and the likelihood that they'll go 'deep into Finals footy...'

Yeah He’ll be eager to show the tigers what they’ve been missing out on by not playing him, I wouldn’t surprised at all if he got a hat trick.

• Like 1

I hope Gildart goes well.  I have voiced concerns about his size in defence next to either Keary or Walker but the opposite side to that is that the Roosters shift the ball really well and he will be in a fantastic attacking team.

I hope he goes really well.

I just hope Gildart's Roosters team-mates pass the ball to him more often than they did to Ryan Hall...

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson