Brits in the NRL

6 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Best what?? Not sure I've seen a loose forward for about 20 years.....

Ironically, i think both are towards the classic 13s rather than an extra middle, either as a 8/10 or a 9 like we see in Jake T or Brandon Smith

Running the Rob Burrow marathon to raise money for the My Name'5 Doddie foundation:

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ben-dyas

5 minutes ago, MattSantos said:

Ironically, i think both are towards the classic 13s rather than an extra middle, either as a 8/10 or a 9 like we see in Jake T or Brandon Smith

I hear you. I think there are a ery few middles who have the vision and ball handling ability that the old LFs used to have. Yeo is among them. 

But I do find references to loose forward in 2022 as utterly anachronistic. 

Also the idea of any differentiation between standoff and scrum half. 

25 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

I hear you. I think there are a ery few middles who have the vision and ball handling ability that the old LFs used to have. Yeo is among them. 

But I do find references to loose forward in 2022 as utterly anachronistic. 

Also the idea of any differentiation between standoff and scrum half. 

How about we settle on forward pivot  from now on? 

5 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

How about we settle on forward pivot  from now on? 

More descriptive of the role, but tbh I'm not a fan of inventing new names. There are three middles in every pack, an acting halfback and two wide defenders/ second rowers. Then 2 halfbacks. The names of the positions are no longer relevant, but quaint enough. Any serious discussion of players, their roles and tactics in 2022 cannot use the term 'loose forward' with any seriousness 

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Looking forward to watching Roosters now with English stars Gildart and the Great Victor Radley going at it 

Gildart making his Roosters debut against Wests this weekend. Should be interesting.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

Luke Thompson on the bench for the Bulldogs 

Good news

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Gildart got on for the last 20-25mins for the Roosters in a huge win over his former club Wests, who looked absolutely awful.

He had a hand in one try, supplying the final pass for a Tupou try. 

Wests we’re that bad he didn’t really have a great deal to do. But still good to be part of such a big win.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

24 minutes ago, Jonty58 said:

I think you know the context I was using.

I did.  It was only a lame attempt at a funny line from me.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

42 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Gildart got on for the last 20-25mins for the Roosters in a huge win over his former club Wests, who looked absolutely awful.

He had a hand in one try, supplying the final pass for a Tupou try. 

Wests we’re that bad he didn’t really have a great deal to do. But still good to be part of such a big win.

Turning out for the North Sydney Bears looks a far better proposition than if he’d stayed with the Tigers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Turning out for the North Sydney Bears looks a far better proposition than if he’d stayed with the Tigers.

Temporary; he's back at the Tigers next season.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

I found it a bit bizarre that you’d pick an outside back to play when you need an outside back then change it and pick a slow fringe halfback to play there . And in a game against a rubbish side . I spent the first 15 minutes of that game thinking about Sua’ali’i getting his name changed . It’s a bit of a thing in the NRL that one week you’re watching one player then suddenly you’re watching somebody else 

Edited by DavidM
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Hasn’t he signed for the Dolphins ?

Not sure - the commentators said he was still a Tigers player, but he may have got it wrong. I hope he does go to the Dolphins, or any other NRL club. Even the Titans would be better for him.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

The NRL signings tracker has Gildart back at the Tigers in 2023 and then off contract. 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/01/27/2022-signings-tracker-official-rosters-for-all-17-nrl-clubs/#weststigers

9 hours ago, burnleywelsh said:

That is great news - although NRL website still has him listed as indefinite? 

https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/01/25/nrl-casualty-ward-all-the-latest-injury-news/ 

Very nasty moment for the Great Victor Radley . Luckily he’s ok . I just hope that Roosters don’t nurse him through the finals then whisper in his ear that he needs a long break before next season after two concussions 

Edited by DavidM

After one game back from a long concussion absence, Luke Thompson has had to drop out of the Bulldogs squad this week after a positive Covid test.

Not having any luck this year.

28 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

After one game back from a long concussion absence, Luke Thompson has had to drop out of the Bulldogs squad this week after a positive Covid test.

Not having any luck this year.

Along with Farnworth he should be fresh for the WC unlike a lot of his Superleague colleagues who we are flogging to death with double round weekends.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Along with Farnworth he should be fresh for the WC unlike a lot of his Superleague colleagues who we are flogging to death with double round weekends.

That's making the assumption that both get selected even if they don't get any/much game time for the rest of the year and no chance to show any form.

I would imagine Wane would select Thompson of he is fit but no game time... I am not convinced he would do the same with Farnworth (I would every day of the week).

• Like 1