Brits in the NRL

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That's making the assumption that both get selected even if they don't get any/much game time for the rest of the year and no chance to show any form.

I would imagine Wane would select Thompson of he is fit but no game time... I am not convinced he would do the same with Farnworth (I would every day of the week).

Given our lack of centre options with Newman & Percival having their own fitness issues you’d like to think Farnworth if fit should be a certainty,god for bid Wane goes for Sarginson & Lyne 🙈

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Given our lack of centre options with Newman & Percival having their own fitness issues you’d like to think Farnworth if fit should be a certainty,god for bid Wane goes for Sarginson & Lyne 🙈

I would absolutely like to think that.  But I just have this worry that Wane is going to try and prove the UK is strong and only go with the NRL players that he can't leave out because they are established players (Thompson, Whitehead and Tom Burgess).

I hope I'm wrong as I think Farnworth should be nailed on if he is passed fit.

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

33 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That's making the assumption that both get selected even if they don't get any/much game time for the rest of the year and no chance to show any form.

I would imagine Wane would select Thompson of he is fit but no game time... I am not convinced he would do the same with Farnworth (I would every day of the week).

Come on Farnworth is gurranted he’s been one of one the best centres in the nrl this season when fit, no chance he misses out.

16 hours ago, DavidM said:

Very nasty moment for the Great Victor Radley . Luckily he’s ok . I just hope that Roosters don’t nurse him through the finals then whisper in his ear that he needs a long break before next season after two concussions 

Yeah it looked awful but Radley is one of the toughest players in the game & if he gets the all clear to resume playing I think he’d disregard any suggestions of resting up & make himself available.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah it looked awful but Radley is one of the toughest players in the game & if he gets the all clear to resume playing I think he’d disregard any suggestions of resting up & make himself available.

As long as we have Knowles fit Radley loss wouldn't be a major issue.

Englands priority is getting our halfbacks into some form, having at least 4 top props available, asking Roby to play on and making sure Tomkins is fit a on form - seemed like Wigan found a way to nullify Welsby last night so Tomkins experience is a must.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

As long as we have Knowles fit Radley loss wouldn't be a major issue.

Englands priority is getting our halfbacks into some form, having at least 4 top props available, asking Roby to play on and making sure Tomkins is fit a on form - seemed like Wigan found a way to nullify Welsby last night so Tomkins experience is a must.

Of course losing a great player like Radley is an issue,we simply don’t have enough players of his quality.

Roby is still a good player but his attacking threat is diminishing & Tomkins looks to be playing on one leg & could be a weak link at fullback although he could be a better option at halfback than Williams.

• Like 1

Good return from a short layoff for Tom Burgess today.

172 metres from the bench against the high flying Cowboys and the try to seal the win for the Rabbitohs. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

Of course losing a great player like Radley is an issue,we simply don’t have enough players of his quality.

And he has been in great form , his ball playing in the middle has really come on as well as the ‘ inflictor ‘ stuff , and is pivotal to the Roosters attack now .

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Roby is still a good player but his attacking threat is diminishing & Tomkins looks to be playing on one leg & could be a weak link at fullback although he could be a better option at halfback than Williams.

But the point is in Radleys position we already have a player who is as good if not better than him - yes more top players the better but our first choice in other positions is looking weak at the moment- that was my point. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Radley isn't good enough for England, Bateman starts at 13, Knowles back up.

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Not having any luck this year.

Signing a contract with the Bulldogs pretty much guaranteed zero luck. They were rubbish when he joined them, and they're rubbish now.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

2 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

But the point is in Radleys position we already have a player who is as good if not better than him - yes more top players the better but our first choice in other positions is looking weak at the moment- that was my point. 

Surely you aren’t talking about Knowles? He isn’t a patch on Radley. I really don’t understand this massive hype about Knowles.

Without Newman or Percival as options to partner Farnworth (who should be a shoe in), I’d pick Kallum Watkins. I think he’s had a very good year at Salford.

Wardle as back-up.

• Like 1

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

29 minutes ago, 7723 said:

Surely you aren’t talking about Knowles? He isn’t a patch on Radley. I really don’t understand this massive hype about Knowles.

Knowles and Radley are both fantastic players.  All action, tough as teak and skilful.  We don't have to worry who is best (that's Wane's job) we just have to hope they are both fit for the World Cup. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Without Newman or Percival as options to partner Farnworth (who should be a shoe in), I’d pick Kallum Watkins. I think he’s had a very good year at Salford.

Wardle as back-up.

Watkins has been superb this season but in the 2nd row. If you pick him in the England squad it has to be there as I think his lack of pace in the Centres would be exposed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

Radley isn't good enough for England,

Australia have Murray and Yeo , but would lose nothing with Radley at 13 . He’s more than good enough to play for England and as a middle player he’s far better than Bateman with a more varied game for the position 

• Like 4

I think Radley is a better middle forward than Bateman and Bateman is a better edge forward than Radley.  And that's where they should be considered for England. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Wardle as back-up.

Joes been playing back row at Leigh and feel he will be too slow at International centre level

• Haha 1

The panel on the Matthew Johns show on Fox League pretty much agreed that Dom Young's become Newcastle's best player, despite being out of his depth when introduced to the first team.

And he's still a youngster, with years of development still to come.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

The panel on the Matthew Johns show on Fox League pretty much agreed that Dom Young's become Newcastle's best player, despite being out of his depth when introduced to the first team.

And he's still a youngster, with years of development still to come.

Sounds like he had a decent game this morning.  I can't watch it at the moment as WatchNRL keeps crashing on my tv.

8 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Sounds like he had a decent game this morning.  I can't watch it at the moment as WatchNRL keeps crashing on my tv.

What with him, Gildart and Thompson all signing for basket-case clubs, plus Brisbane being pants for most of Herbie Farnworth's time there, I'd really like to see a Pom sign for a decent club for a change.

Canberra's recruitment drive seems a lot longer ago than it actually was.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Futtocks said:

What with him, Gildart and Thompson all signing for basket-case clubs, plus Brisbane being pants for most of Herbie Farnworth's time there, I'd really like to see a Pom sign for a decent club for a change.

Canberra's recruitment drive seems a lot longer ago than it actually was.

I agree that I would like to see some Brits at the very best teams... although when Ryan Hall went to the Roosters they seemed to have a pact not to pass to him.

And in fairness to Young, the Knights seemed like a team on the up when he joined.  They had gone 16th (last) to 11th, 11th and then 7th the yest he joined.  Then backwards again.

24 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I agree that I would like to see some Brits at the very best teams... although when Ryan Hall went to the Roosters they seemed to have a pact not to pass to him.

And in fairness to Young, the Knights seemed like a team on the up when he joined.  They had gone 16th (last) to 11th, 11th and then 7th the yest he joined.  Then backwards again.

Ryan Hall got plenty of passes when the Roosters needed to get out of their 20. Then they seemed to forget him when points were needed. 

• Like 2

Ralph Waldo Emerson

4 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Ryan Hall got plenty of passes when the Roosters needed to get out of their 20. Then they seemed to forget him when points were needed. 

Totally agree, he should have been very good in the NRL, despite him being past his best when he left Leeds but you got the feeling that the Aussies didn't want him to do well as they looked after their mates.

Yes, they were happy to give him the ball to do some forwards work but not up the field. I even remember one of his last Roosters games when his team mates just wouldn't pass to him the Aussie commentators even asked one of the Roosters centres what they had against Hall.