Brits in the NRL

15 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Dominic Young has won two awards at the Newcastle Knights end of season awards.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2022/09/07/tyson-frizell-claims-2022-danny-buderus-medal/

The Knight in Shining Armour award (although I have no idea what that means)

and

The Gladiator of the Year award (although I find mixing Knights and Gladiators a bit confusing and prefer we stick to just a single historical armed combatant metaphor at a time)

Anyway, well done him

The 21-year-old Englishman was awarded the Knight In Shining Armour Award, named for the stand-out moment of the year, his match-defining chase down of Bulldogs speedster Josh Addo-Carr in the round 10 win at Magic Round. He also took out the Gladiator Award, chosen by the Once a Knight Old Boys.

2 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Dominic Young has won two awards at the Newcastle Knights end of season awards.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2022/09/07/tyson-frizell-claims-2022-danny-buderus-medal/

The Knight in Shining Armour award (although I have no idea what that means)

and

The Gladiator of the Year award (although I find mixing Knights and Gladiators a bit confusing and prefer we stick to just a single historical armed combatant metaphor at a time)

Anyway, well done him

am absolutely made up for DY - for the lad to just jump on a plane and achieved what he has so far is amazing and inspirational to any young players over here - am sure he will be even better next season too- but international standard now?  that's a step in this story too far - against a kangaroo 1st select he would be less of a knight in shining armour and more of a rabbit in the headlights 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Just now, graveyard johnny said:

am absolutely made up for DY - for the lad to just jump on a plane and achieved what he has so far is amazing and inspirational to any young players over here - am sure he will be even better next season too- but international standard now?  that's a step in this story too far - against a kangaroo 1st select he would be less of a knight in shining armour and more of a rabbit in the headlights 

I think he is the best we have available.  That should be the only factor in the choice.

• Like 5

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

5 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think he is the best we have available.  That should be the only factor in the choice.

I think a massive factor in the wing choices is who's good under kick pressure and the high balls? this will be test rugby and these days world class half backs will be putting wingers under the microscope - would love to have someone like Alex Johnson in the side but like you said we have to go with best available 

7 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I think a massive factor in the wing choices is who's good under kick pressure and the high balls? this will be test rugby and these days world class half backs will be putting wingers under the microscope - would love to have someone like Alex Johnson in the side but like you said we have to go with best available 

I certainly agree that one of the weaker part of Young's game is his ability under the high ball.  Particularly under pressure.  But he has been facing the NRL's best halves all year and still performed remarkably well... the fact that a player like Adam Reynolds will not be on the plane and the Kangaroos will only be picking one of DCE or Cleary in their 17 means that the World Cup will not be as high as a standard as the NRL when it comes to kicking. 

The likes of Samoa and Tonga will not have outstanding kicking games as it is not their strongest area.  But they are big and physical and the likes of Young is a perfect counterpoint to that.

• Like 2

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

If I was to win two awards I’d want them to be Knight in Shining Armour Award and the Gladiator Award …. One bit of bad news on the Dom Young front. My sister was in last week when I was watching the Knights game ( yes I’m dead hospitable ) and as Dom streaked away for his interception she went into girly ‘phoar look at him ‘ mode . I told her he’d be playing here for Jamaica and she told me to get her a ticket . Now , she’s not going .

Edited by DavidM

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

The likes of Samoa and Tonga will not have outstanding kicking games 

i think their coaches will have polished up in that dept this time round 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

i think their coaches will have polished up in that dept this time round 

Really.  Which of the Samoan and Tongan halves are going to bring a world class kicking game to their teams?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Really.  Which of the Samoan and Tongan halves are going to bring a world class kicking game to their teams?

i meant all good international standard coaches will be playing to their full strengths after a lot of studying inc if theres an opposition winger that might spill the lollys

2 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

i meant all good international standard coaches will be playing to their full strengths after a lot of studying inc if theres an opposition winger that might spill the lollys

That may be the case.  But when you look at the quality kicking game in the NRL, it comes from Aussies (DCE, Cleary, Hunt, Reynolds).  

Again, I can't see a world class kicking game coming from the PI teams however much the coaches want it to happen.

2 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

IMO, anyone who believes Dom Young shouldn't be in the squad really hasn't been watching. 

There's a point on that chase back where it looks like he's running then suddenly hits a travelator like at the airport.  

I was born to run a club like this. Number 1, I do not spook easily, and those who think I do, are wasting their time, with their surprise attacks.

29 minutes ago, DI Keith Fowler said:

There's a point on that chase back where it looks like he's running then suddenly hits a travelator like at the airport.  

If he did the luggage at the airport your suitcase would be on the carousel before you'd got through passport control!

• Like 1

I agree Whitehead was very good today.

Fair play to Whitehead for his performance in Melbourne. Playing like that in a game of that stature shows his reserves of experience. As ordinary a season as he's had, you'd probably say that he's held on to his spot in the England run-on team.

• Like 3

Just now, StandOffHalf said:

Fair play to Whitehead for his performance in Melbourne. Playing like that in a game of that stature shows his reserves of experience. As ordinary a season as he's had, you'd probably say that he's held on to his spot in the England run-on team.

Certainty I’d reckon 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I’ll be honest I thought he was starting to show signs of wear and tear this year but he was superb today. 

Agreed; he wasn't exactly bad for most of the season, but wasn't at his most dangerous. But today, he and all the Raiders sucked up tons of punishment defending their line and dragged themselves over the line into the next round.

The first score was Canberra at their best - defending so many repeat sets on their try-line, then just streaking away in a team try made of pure audacity and aggression.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson