Brits in the NRL

1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve not managed to watch all the NRL playoff action so you’ll have to excuse my ignorance.

How have our lads been performing so far compared to say Samoa’s potential line-up?

Are we looking on course to be competitive at the upcoming World Cup?

Cheers!

Everyone’s going great whitehead was fantastic, good signs there gonna have a great tournament.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, SydneyRoosters said:

Everyone’s going great whitehead was fantastic, good signs there gonna have a great tournament.

Tom Burgess will get a good rest before the World Cup when the MRC watch this morning’s game again.

• Like 1

Heard on the commentary this morning that Tom Burgess became the 5th most all time games played for the Rabbitohs this morning.

That's some achievement. 

• Like 3

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Very eventful 24 minutes on the pitch for Burgess against the Roosters.

The high shot on Tedesco was a poor one and deserves a ban but other than that I thought he was superb.

The Rabbitohs were getting absolutely smashed up front before he came on.  When he got on the pitch the Roosters pack tried to put two big shots on him but to no effect and in that 24 minutes he ran for 98 metres and 46 post contact metres - helping to turn the tables on the Roosters physically.  Including literally walking straight through Angus Crichton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

44 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Burgess charged by the MRC,2 game ban with an early guilty plea for the Tedesco high shot & a fine for the Lodge one,pretty lucky for me.

If it’s two matches and Souths get knocked out , England have a warm up game so he should be ok for Samoa 

Just now, Dunbar said:

Very eventful 24 minutes on the pitch for Burgess against the Roosters.

The high shot on Tedesco was a poor one and deserves a ban but other than that I thought he was superb.

The Rabbitohs were getting absolutely smashed up front before he came on.  When he got on the pitch the Roosters pack tried to put two big shots on him but to no effect and in that 24 minutes he ran for 98 metres and 46 post contact metres - helping to turn the tables on the Roosters physically.  Including literally walking straight through Angus Crichton.

He’s been in colossal form . I’m expecting a big World Cup from him . The Roosters can be justifiably peeved over the Tedesco incident I think and that they couldn’t use the 18th man . That was a huge moment 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He’s been in colossal form . I’m expecting a big World Cup from him . The Roosters can be justifiably peeved over the Tedesco incident I think and that they couldn’t use the 18th man . That was a huge moment 

I agree.

Did you see the post match press conference with Trent Robinson. Despite seeing his team go out he said that Klein managed the game well and it was the players from both teams that escalated the game and the incidents.

He is such a classy guy... most coaches will be reaching for these incidents as excuses (and overlooking their own) but he was honest about how the game unfolded.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

I agree.

Did you see the post match press conference with Trent Robinson. Despite seeing his team go out he said that Klein managed the game well and it was the players from both teams that escalated the game and the incidents.

He is such a classy guy... most coaches will be reaching for these incidents as excuses (and overlooking their own) but he was honest about how the game unfolded.

I did , and how he recoils from suggestions his team may stay down for penalties . Although I think the question in generality is fair and must be something the NRL look at post season . Bunker involvement in these instances must have a higher bar , and officials should not be influenced by players reactions or basically get spooked and work backwards . It leads us to a place where Latrell can literally go on strike , put the ball down … and only then get a penalty . That just looks wrong . They must have this conversation and look at the balance between the flow of the game and the role of onfield officials , and the desire to basically smother the game with scrutiny in a search for accuracy and consistency 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Colossal is stretching it a bit David,yesterday he got knocked backwards which resulted in a couple of poor high shots,the first one would have been a red card earlier in the season,when he came back on after his enforced”rest” he benefited from Lodge & JWH coming to the end of their spells.

Looking towards the WC you’d think Wane will start with only 1 of Burgess/Walmsley & interchange with each other in 20 min spells.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Colossal is stretching it a bit David,yesterday he got knocked backwards which resulted in a couple of poor high shots,the first one would have been a red card earlier in the season,when he came back on after his enforced”rest” he benefited from Lodge & JWH coming to the end of their spells.

Looking towards the WC you’d think Wane will start with only 1 of Burgess/Walmsley & interchange with each other in 20 min spells.

Burgess took a couple of bigs shots when he came on.

One of the key measures of a middle forward is post contact metres.  Burgess was on the pitch for 24 minutes and made 46 post contact metres.  Waerea-Hargreaves was on the pitch for 46 minutes and made 56 post contact metres.

Burgess helped to change the momentum of that game.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I do agree with this - I think you'd possibly start Walmsley/Oledki and interchange with Burgess/Thompson

I think Oledzki has to start.  His defense is by far the best of these four and you need to have that mobility at the start of big matches.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Burgess took a couple of bigs shots when he came on.

One of the key measures of a middle forward is post contact metres.  Burgess was on the pitch for 24 minutes and made 46 post contact metres.  Waerea-Hargreaves was on the pitch for 46 minutes and made 56 post contact metres.

Burgess helped to change the momentum of that game.

Yeah,by illegally knocking the games best player out of the game,I’d expect a front rower to make metres if he only plays 24 mins in 2 spells against a tiring opposition front row,the only problem is unlike the Roosters Aust/NZ/Tonga/Samoa will have better more physical options coming off the bench,I have my doubts whether he’ll be that effective when he comes on against those same fresh players,time will tell I suppose & he has a few weeks to rest & prepare now.

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think Oledzki has to start.  His defense is by far the best of these four and you need to have that mobility at the start of big matches.

Yeah for definite mate and for me Walmsley is the pack leader and will set the tone from the start. Burgess and Thompson have both proven time again they can have a huge impact in that middle stint, either side of half time. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah,by illegally knocking the games best player out of the game,I’d expect a front rower to make metres if he only plays 24 mins in 2 spells against a tiring opposition front row,the only problem is unlike the Roosters Aust/NZ/Tonga/Samoa will have better more physical options coming off the bench,I have my doubts whether he’ll be that effective when he comes on against those same fresh players,time will tell I suppose & he has a few weeks to rest & prepare now.

I am not referring to the high shot on Tedesco.  I have already stated it was a bad shot and deserves a ban.

I am referring to his contribution to the team in (one) 24 minute stint in which he helped to shift the momentum of the match by running for 98 metres and 46 post contact metres in just 24 minutes.

That was his job as an interchange middle forward and that is what he did.  I am sure that he would have contributed more if he hadn't also had to leave the field for a failed HIA as a result of foul play.

23 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Heard on the commentary this morning that Tom Burgess became the 5th most all time games played for the Rabbitohs this morning.

That's some achievement. 

Especially when you consider he had 50-odd games for Bradford, too.

• Like 1

People called Romans they go the house

Just caught up with the Roosters Bunnies game. Very entertaining. Has Radley been charged with anything and facing any bans? That might be a big call to include him if he is.

Also will the warm up game count for the purposes of a ban? I think pre season friendlies have done in the past so presumably will do, but you never know with the differences between domestic and international RL.

3 minutes ago, glossop saint said:

Just caught up with the Roosters Bunnies game. Very entertaining. Has Radley been charged with anything and facing any bans? That might be a big call to include him if he is.

Also will the warm up game count for the purposes of a ban? I think pre season friendlies have done in the past so presumably will do, but you never know with the differences between domestic and international RL.

No, no charges for Radley. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am not referring to the high shot on Tedesco.  I have already stated it was a bad shot and deserves a ban.

I am referring to his contribution to the team in (one) 24 minute stint in which he helped to shift the momentum of the match by running for 98 metres and 46 post contact metres in just 24 minutes.

That was his job as an interchange middle forward and that is what he did.  I am sure that he would have contributed more if he hadn't also had to leave the field for a failed HIA as a result of foul play.

One could almost say " fowl play ".