Brits in the NRL

4 hours ago, DavidM said:

He’s been in colossal form . I’m expecting a big World Cup from him . The Roosters can be justifiably peeved over the Tedesco incident I think and that they couldn’t use the 18th man . That was a huge moment 

I did wonder about that why couldn’t they use the 18th man which I thought was used in the NRL. 

33 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

I did wonder about that why couldn’t they use the 18th man which I thought was used in the NRL. 

It was ridiculous that Tedesco after being on the receiving end of the worst high tackle of the game didn’t count on the protocols for activating the 18th man rule.

6 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I think Oledzki has to start.  His defense is by far the best of these four and you need to have that mobility at the start of big matches.

I'd probably have Oledzki and Burgess starting.

Walmsley's power and Thompson's energy coming off the bench could work nicely, I feel.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, StandOffHalf said:

Walmsley's power and Thompson's energy coming off the bench could work nicely, I feel.

I would be OK with Walmsley or Burgess in the interchange role.  I would probably start Walmsley simply because that is the role each plays for their clubs most often.

I agree Thompson adds impact off the bench.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

26 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I would be OK with Walmsley or Burgess in the interchange role.  I would probably start Walmsley simply because that is the role each plays for their clubs most often.

Yes, I can see the argument for going with their club roles. Walmsley is the leader, so it would make a lot of sense to start him alongside Oledzki.

My thinking is that Burgess might offer a bit more mobility over the first 20 minutes, partnered with Big Mik. Walmsley's destructive metres would then come into the game and potentially wreak havoc either side of HT.

I'd have no issue with swapping Burgess and Walmsley. I can see the merits both ways there.

If I was to have a stab at predicting Wane's props, I'd guess that he was planning to start with Walmsley and Thompson and have Burgess and Oledzki on the bench. I do rather agree with your points on Oledzki.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think Thompson will be wanting to make a big impact after the last couple of years at the Bulldogs .

If fully fit you’d have to start Thompson,great engine who’ll play big minutes,Oledzki for me looks tired & doesn’t seem to be having the same impact as earlier in the season.

1 hour ago, DavidM said:

I think Thompson will be wanting to make a big impact after the last couple of years at the Bulldogs .

I'm sure he will.

His ball carrying is always good as he has fast feet and good footwork for a prop.

Although, watching him closely, as one of the Brits in the NRL, I have been disappointed with his defence, too much grabbing and not enough decent contact.

As such, he definitely feels like a bench option for me to come on when the intensity of the impacts has fallen off a little.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, StandOffHalf said:

4 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I don’t think Walmsley will be available unfortunately. Think there’s a chance we won’t see him again this season. Although that should’ve been the case with Lomax but he’s played on so you never know. 

Edited by bobbruce

6 hours ago, Davo5 said:

It was ridiculous that Tedesco after being on the receiving end of the worst high tackle of the game didn’t count on the protocols for activating the 18th man rule.

Is there a reason for it not being activated seems a strange one. 

12 hours ago, bobbruce said:

I don’t think Walmsley will be available unfortunately. Think there’s a chance we won’t see him again this season. Although that should’ve been the case with Lomax but he’s played on so you never know. 

Now confirmed Walmsley's foot injury is worse than originally thought - Gone for the rest of the season and the WC as its a 2 months+ recovery time.

• Sad 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Jackson Hastings to the Knights in what looks like a swap deal with Klemmer.

That's a funny one.  At the beginning of last year the Tigers were raving about Hastings and people were saying he was the guy to build a team around.  Now he is released from his contract.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

That's a funny one.  At the beginning of last year the Tigers were raving about Hastings and people were saying he was the guy to build a team around.  Now he is released from his contract.

As I said on the Aus section, I also don't get it. Apparently lots of clubs want Hastings and an equal number are happy to let him go after they get him.

7 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Jackson Hastings to the Knights in what looks like a swap deal with Klemmer.

Klemmer won't improve the tigers one little bit - good business by the knights

• Like 1

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

• 4 weeks later...

Brits (amongst others) in the NRLW next year.

NRL 2023: NRLW, Women's Rugby League World Cup, England, Hollie Dodd, Francesca Goldthorpe, Georgia Roche, Leah Bourke, Emily Rudge, Jodie Cunningham | NRL.com

Mouth-watering prospect the thought of some of these players gracing our shores next year.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The Rocket said:

Brits (amongst others) in the NRLW next year.

NRL 2023: NRLW, Women's Rugby League World Cup, England, Hollie Dodd, Francesca Goldthorpe, Georgia Roche, Leah Bourke, Emily Rudge, Jodie Cunningham | NRL.com

Mouth-watering prospect the thought of some of these players gracing our shores next year.

That's a fair old list, I never realised it was so many. With the women's game in the UK being amateur and way behind the level of the NRLW this exposure can only help the national team. It will be really interesting to see how these players develop in that environment. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As we approach the 2023 season, I thought it would be worth looking at the Brits in the NRL and what we may expect.

Herbie Farnworth: In his final contract year at the Broncos.  Was one of the elite centres in the NRL last until his year was cut short by a bicep injury but came back to have a good World Cup.  You would expect a big year from him and huge demand for his signature from 2024 onwards.

Ryan Sutton: A move to the Bulldogs on a 3 year contract with a view to cementing a regular starting spot I would imagine.  Had a stuttering last year with the Raiders but definitely NRL starting quality for me.

John Bateman: Back to the NRL with Wests for a 4 year contract.  Can he have the same impact as he did with the Raiders.

Elliot Whitehead: The last Brit at the Raiders.  An old hand now but always reliable.  2022 maybe wasn't his best year but he remains ultra consistent and top drawer.

Luke Thompson: In his last contracted year at the Bulldogs.  He hasn't lit up the NRL as we had hoped due to suspensions and injuries.  This could be a big year for him and a chance to show he is one of the elite front rowers in the game.  Seeing where he lands in 2024 will be very interesting.

Oliver Gildart: A one year contract at the new Dolphins franchise gives Gildart a chance to prove he belongs at this level after a disappointing stint with the Tigers and a short loan spell with the Roosters.  Will he get an NRL gig is 2024?

Bailey HodgsonDesperately unlucky with injuries since his move down under.  With Kayln Ponga slated to move into the halves to partner Jackson Hastings there may be a chance for Hodgson to cement the #1 jersey.  Again the last year of his contract so needs to impress.

Dominic Young: A breakout year in 2022 and now an international.  You would expect him to kick on this year and be in demand for 2024 as again he is in the final year of his contract with the Knights.

Josh Hodgson: After having his 2022 season wiped out with an ACL injury, Hodgson secured a surprise move to the Eels for this year.  As title contenders, he could have a very good year.  Again a 1 year deal with a club option for a second.

Tom Burgess: The senior player in the Rabbitohs pack, he had another good year in 2022 and a strong World Cup.  In his final year of his contract and only 30, you would expect him to play out another couple of seasons if he wanted, he has been very durable with no serious injuries as far as I can remember.

I don't want to get bogged down in the eligibility chat and I know that Victor Radley is at the Roosters and Jackson Hastings at Newcastle but this is really about players who have gone from the UK to Australia while they all their junior rugby in Australia.

What struck me when I typed the list is how many Brits are in the final year of their contracts.  With Kai Pearce-Paul and Will Pryce over there next year and many others maybe moving clubs, it will be interesting to watch developments in signings as well as performances on the pitch.

(if I have missed anyone then flag and I will edit)

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 2