Brits in the NRL

35 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

As we approach the 2023 season, I thought it would be worth looking at the Brits in the NRL and what we may expect.

Herbie Farnworth: In his final contract year at the Broncos.  Was one of the elite centres in the NRL last until his year was cut short by a bicep injury but came back to have a good World Cup.  You would expect a big year from him and huge demand for his signature from 2024 onwards.

Elliot Whitehead: The last Brit at the Raiders.  An old hand now but always reliable.  2022 maybe wasn't his best year but he remains ultra consistent and top drawer.

Luke Thompson: In his last contracted year at the Bulldogs.  He hasn't lit up the NRL as we had hoped due to suspensions and injuries.  This could be a big year for him and a chance to show he is one of the elite front rowers in the game.  Seeing where he lands in 2024 will be very interesting.

Oliver Gildart: A one year contract at the new Dolphins franchise gives Gildart a chance to prove he belongs at this level after a disappointing stint with the Tigers and a short loan spell with the Roosters.  Will he get an NRL gig is 2024?

Bailey HodgsonDesperately unlucky with injuries since his move down under.  With Kayln Ponga slated to move into the halves to partner Jackson Hastings there may be a chance for Hodgson to cement the #1 jersey.  Again the last year of his contract so needs to impress.

Dominic Young: A breakout year in 2022 and now an international.  You would expect him to kick on this year and be in demand for 2024 as again he is in the final year of his contract with the Knights.

Josh Hodgson: After having his 2022 season wiped out with an ACL injury, Hodgson secured a surprise move to the Eels for this year.  As title contenders, he could have a very good year.  Again a 1 year deal with a club option for a second.

Tom Burgess: The senior player in the Rabbitohs pack, he had another good year in 2022 and a strong World Cup.  In his final year of his contract and only 30, you would expect him to play out another couple of seasons if he wanted, he has been very durable with no serious injuries as far as I can remember.

I don't want to get bogged down in the eligibility chat and I know that Victor Radley is at the Roosters and Jackson Hastings at Newcastle but this is really about players who have gone from the UK to Australia while they all their junior rugby in Australia.

What struck me when I typed the list is how many Brits are in the final year of their contracts - only Elliot Whitehead is contracted for 2024.  With Kai Pearce-Paul and Will Pryce over there next year and many others maybe moving clubs, it will be interesting to watch developments in signings as well as performances on the pitch.

(if I have missed anyone then flag and I will edit)

Bateman, Walker…..

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Bateman, Walker…..

Thanks. Edited to add Bateman.

I may be going mad but which Walker?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Also Ryan Sutton. I expected better from you Dunbar!

I know. I'm going mad!

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Being a Brit myself, I don't have an NRL team that I support... I just love the league in general.

But I always follow and hop the teams with the Brits do well.  For the last years this has been the Rabbitohs with the Burgess brothers and the Raiders with a number of Brits.

This year I guess it is Newcastle and Canterbury that I will be hoping do well.

3 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

I read, on here I think, about a British born player who has been brought up in NZ. Might have signed for the Redcliffe Dolphins 

Elijah Rasmussen. 17yr old prop. Recently chose league over the dark side………..don’t expect him to play NRL this year but one for the future 

Parra should be a good watch this year with added English interest with Hodgson.

I fear for Gildart though. I'm sure it'll work out long term for the Dolphins, but year 1 is going to be tough sledding, it's just inevitable. So if you're still struggling to establish yourself like Gildart is, an expansion team is a the last place you should be.

• Like 1

It's awful for Brits (?) in the NRL the expectation of failure is only matched by Aussie media glee when it works out that way.

Since I stopped watching the NRL I'd have to say my enjoyment level of RL has returned to very high.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

36 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Sam Walker - the Yorkshireman that some people think is Australian

1 minute ago, Mr Frisky said:

Isn't Walker Australian?

I really don't think there is a lot of value in having this argument over again on this thread.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

NRL round 1 team lists are out:

Brits playing this week:

Herbie Farnworth for the Broncos, 

Ryan Sutton for the Bulldogs

Elliot Whitehead for the Raiders

Dominic Young for the Knights

Josh Hodgson for the Eels

Tom Burgess for the Rabbitohs

Victor Radley for the Roosters

Luke Thompson misses out with an ankle injury, John Bateman not selected after just arriving in Australia, Bailey Hodgson makes the reserve bench for the Knights while Oliver Gildart misses out for the Dolphins

Real shame Luke Thompson looks like he's going to miss a large chunk of the season, especially with him been off contract end of the season. Gildart - it just hasn't worked has it? It's not like we can say he's not been given a chance either - both clubs have given him a look and whether it's underwhelming game day performances or something they're seeing in training, it just doesn't feel like he'd get the nod unless there's several injuries. 

6 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Real shame Luke Thompson looks like he's going to miss a large chunk of the season, especially with him been off contract end of the season. Gildart - it just hasn't worked has it? It's not like we can say he's not been given a chance either - both clubs have given him a look and whether it's underwhelming game day performances or something they're seeing in training, it just doesn't feel like he'd get the nod unless there's several injuries. 

Didn't realise that Thompson's injury was so bad.  That's a real shame.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Didn't realise that Thompson's injury was so bad.  That's a real shame.

Not sure it's confirmed yet, but Gus Gould has said as much on his twitter. Normally recovery for the type of injury it appears to be usually takes near on 6 months! Fingers crossed further x-rays/scans show it's not as bad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

NRL round 1 team lists are out:

Brits playing this week:

Herbie Farnworth for the Broncos, 

Ryan Sutton for the Bulldogs

Elliot Whitehead for the Raiders

Dominic Young for the Knights

Josh Hodgson for the Eels

Tom Burgess for the Rabbitohs

Victor Radley for the Roosters

Luke Thompson misses out with an ankle injury, John Bateman not selected after just arriving in Australia, Bailey Hodgson makes the reserve bench for the Knights while Oliver Gildart misses out for the Dolphins

Isn't Victor Radley Australian of birth?

1 minute ago, Tippytoe said:

Isn't Victor Radley Australian of birth?

Yes, I know.  All a bit complex.  He played for England in the World Cup so I thought I would include him... I wasn't going to but I thought someone would flag if I didn't.  But of course someone will flag if I do.

4 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Yes, I know.  All a bit complex.  He played for England in the World Cup so I thought I would include him... I wasn't going to but I thought someone would flag if I didn't.  But of course someone will flag if I do.

Only one thing for it.....new thread! 

Thread name: 'Brits in the NRL including those that are essentially Australia but qualify for England due to Heritage thus entitling them to be on the list' 

Bit of a mouthful but I think that covers it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Only one thing for it.....new thread! 

Thread name: 'Brits in the NRL including those that are essentially Australia but qualify for England due to Heritage thus entitling them to be on the list' 

Bit of a mouthful but I think that covers it 

I am going with the thread title of...

'Brits in the NRL plus Sam Walker who, despite coming from an Australian family and living his entire life in Australia and who has shown absolutely no indication whatsoever that he is even contemplating representing England, must be included because he was born in Leeds when his dad was playing over here'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I hope Harry didn’t choke on his cornflakes after reading your post.

• Haha 1

Anyway, to drag it back a little!

I expect another big year from Tom Burgess as the key go forward for the Rabbitohs.

So disappointed about Thompson but keen to see how Sutton gets on at the Bulldogs in a fresh start.  Similar for Josh Hodgson.  He must be delighted to have a chance with the Eels who look like they have a good chance of going all the way again this year.

And I would that Bailey Hodgson puts his injury worries behind him to get some NRL game time.

And of course how Dom Young continues to develop. 

• Like 1