Brits in the NRL

1 hour ago, Dunbar said:

Anyway, to drag it back a little!

I expect another big year from Tom Burgess as the key go forward for the Rabbitohs.

So disappointed about Thompson but keen to see how Sutton gets on at the Bulldogs in a fresh start.  Similar for Josh Hodgson.  He must be delighted to have a chance with the Eels who look like they have a good chance of going all the way again this year.

And I would that Bailey Hodgson puts his injury worries behind him to get some NRL game time.

And of course how Dom Young continues to develop. 

Sutton is exciting for me - would love to see him nail down that 13 shirt. I know he's been named at prop but I think that's more because Dogs don't have Thompson or Pangai Jr available - Brown certainly won't hold on to that spot. I guess the shirt number doesn't really matter, but I think if the Doggies were hoping to get a James Graham style ball handling forward they might just have that with Sutton, over any of their other star forwards. 

3 hours ago, Dunbar said:

I am going with the thread title of...

'Brits in the NRL plus Sam Walker who, despite coming from an Australian family and living his entire life in Australia and who has shown absolutely no indication whatsoever that he is even contemplating representing England, must be included because he was born in Leeds when his dad was playing over here'.

As English as a Schooner of Tooheys new!

1 hour ago, DoubleD said:

He's an English citizen

There's no such thing as English citizenship. It would be British citizenship.

Are you referring to Sam Walker? Because that's who I took the post you quoted to be referring to. If so, he would have to get his right to British citizenship from one of his parents because our nationality law is based primarily on jus sanguinis rather than jus soli. Do you know that one of his parents has British citizenship? 'Cos I hadn't heard that.

From a rugby league point of view, national team qualification can rely on where you are born, so he could qualify for England or GB without being a British citizen.

Edited by Barley Mow

2 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

There's no such thing as English citizenship. It would be British citizenship.

Are you referring to Sam Walker? Because that's who I took the post you quoted to be referring to. If so, he would have to get his right to British citizenship form one of his parents because our nationality law is based on jus sanguinis rather than jus soli. Do you know that one of his parents has British citizenship? 'Cos I hadn't heard that.

From a rugby league point of view, national team qualification can rely on where you are born, so he could qualify for England or GB without being a British citizen.

He has a British passport

3 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Okay, thanks. I'd never heard that.

It must be based on a parent being a British citizen then.

I think this comes from an interview his dad did with the Yorkshire Evening Post last year when he said (of his son) "he was born over there and he will have an English passport, but I think that will be where he ends".

To be honest, I am not sure what to make of 'he will have an English passport' as I think that is just an assumption that he could get one if he wants one.

• Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I am no expert on these things but I don't think being born in the UK to a foreign national with a work visa automatically qualifies you for a British passport.

Anyway, it is all moot as his dad goes on to say in the interview his entire Australian Rugby League loving and playing family would (metaphorically) go to the airport to stop him playing for England.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am no expert on these things but I don't think being born in the UK to a foreign national with a work visa automatically qualifies you for a British passport.

You're right it doesn't - not unless you are otherwise stateless and a parent has indefinite leave to remain. There could be residency qualifications as well, but as Ben Walker was only at Leeds for one season, that is very unlikely to apply to Sam.

Anyway, back on track - Hoping for a good year for all the Brits in NRL.

Edited by Barley Mow
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

is this Tom Burgess swansong season at souths? I consider his last 2 seasons to go down as the best of his career 

He is in the final year of his contract but it may not be his last year.  He is 30 and , as you say, at the top of his game.  I am sure his signature will be in high demand.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He is in the final year of his contract but it may not be his last year.  He is 30 and , as you say, at the top of his game.  I am sure his signature will be in high demand.

didn't he have a strong desire to finish his career at Leeds? although am not sure he will want to rush to Headingly to join the current situation

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

5 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

didn't he have a strong desire to finish his career at Leeds? although am not sure he will want to rush to Headingly to join the current situation

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/longest-serving-burgess-and-rabbitohs-kick-off-contract-talks-20230223-p5cn2a.html

This week it has been reported that he wants a 2-year extension at Souths, has a longer term view of SL being a stronger possibility.

10 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

After a few loose passes early on I thought Josh Hodgson had a good game for new club Parra in their golden point loss to Melbourne.

I watched this he was great, wasn't he?

I thought the loose passes showed they've not worked together enough yet.

The punditry about him only being able to pass one way was a bit of drama in a teacup as well.

And as we all know from jon wilkin they have to fill the silence with rubbish.

• Like 2

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

On 01/03/2023 at 14:38, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Current situation being that it's a club who narrowly lost out to an incredible Saints team in last year's grand final? 

No. The current situation being that Leeds is in Yorkshire.😀

21 hours ago, Oxford said:

I watched this he was great, wasn't he?

I thought the loose passes showed they've not worked together enough yet.

The punditry about him only being able to pass one way was a bit of drama in a teacup as well.

And as we all know from jon wilkin they have to fill the silence with rubbish.

He did well considering the length of time out of the game and now at a new club. He was right into organising and talking. I reckon he'll be good for Moses who is more off the cuff. 

• Like 1

Hodgson had a good match , he’s a good signing as he just gels everything together from dummy half and produces some nice plays as well . Dom Young was strong but was affected by a touch up to the ribs , and Herbie again showed he’s a world superstar and again highlighted how lazy Kotoni Staggs is . It’s a laugh he got  cramp , he needs a kick up the backside 

• 4 weeks later...

Anybody got a clue what's happening with Gildart? He's clearly not getting a game at the Dophins, but I don't think he's even running out for the Queensland Cup side either? I'd assumed he's maybe, somehow, injured himself but he's putting posts on Instagram of himself out playing golf - just all seems a bit odd. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Anybody got a clue what's happening with Gildart? He's clearly not getting a game at the Dophins, but I don't think he's even running out for the Queensland Cup side either? I'd assumed he's maybe, somehow, injured himself but he's putting posts on Instagram of himself out playing golf - just all seems a bit odd. 

Playing for CQ who are the Dolphins’ other feeder side this year.

CQ are undefeated so far and Gildart has started at centre all of those games, scoring in 2 of them.

Edited by jim_57
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jim_57 said:

Playing for CQ who are the Dolphins’ other feeder side this year.

CQ are undefeated so far and Gildart has started at centre all of those games, scoring in 2 of them.

Ah I hadn't considered it would be anyone other than Redcliffe - that makes absolute sense now. Thanks! 

Sounds like he's going well enough then - hopefully he can get a run out soon. Dolphins picked up a few injuries against Broncos if I remember rightly, so if there's a bit of a reshuffle of others he might not be far off getting in the 17.