Brits in the NRL

Couple more reserve grade Brits to mention:

• Josh Simm: 3 games for Wynumm-Manly (2 on the wing, 1 at centre) for 2 tries, 2 linebreaks, 1 try assist and 5 tackle breaks
  • Bailey Hodgson: Finally strung a few games together and has been immense - 4 matches, 3 try assists, 12 tackle breaks and averages 215m a game playing fullback, actually leads the NSW Cup competition in run metres and is nearly 200m ahead of second place
  • Dom Young: Scored a try and had a ridiculous 12 tackle breaks in his game in Cup last week after getting dropped, ran for 135m but still made a couple of handling errors which won't help him get a start in firsts this week.
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Barley Mow said:

Didn't he make his debut against France in Perpignan in October 2021?

Fair enough, I stand corrected, I do seem to recall an experimental second string playing in that game with no NRL players.

It still seems a stretch to me when he's not played for England since, wasn't picked in the World Cup squad and can't get in the Leeds team.

On 28/03/2023 at 02:36, DACS said:

Young does need to tighten up his game. At a better team than the Knights his deficiencies could be covered better, but he does have a habit of some absolutely massive clangers. 

Yes, agree. I wasn't convinced by him in the WC when everyone was saying he was amazing- every try he scored a 35 year old Ryan Hall would have scored and he is still (5 years past his best) a better all round player. 

Saying that I hope Young does kick on and put pressure on our 2 best wingers in Makinson and Johnstone. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Mr Frisky said:

Yes, agree. I wasn't convinced by him in the WC when everyone was saying he was amazing- every try he scored a 35 year old Ryan Hall would have scored and he is still (5 years past his best) a better all round player. 

Saying that I hope Young does kick on and put pressure on our 2 best wingers in Makinson and Johnstone. 

Would've loved to see Ryan Hall sprint 60 metres and run around Joseph Suaalii to score that try in the opener. 

Edited by ghost crayfish
  • Like 11

On 03/04/2023 at 07:00, ghost crayfish said:

Would've loved to see Ryan Hall sprint 60 metres and run around Joseph Suaalii to score that try in the opener. 

So would Ryan Hall but Suaalii would had to have a hammy let go.

That comment on Hall is a bit daft. He was never the quickest winger, and now has the turning circle of an oil tanker and cannot get off the ground to catch a ball. 

Leeming looked quite at home on debut for the Titans. Didn't overplay his hand and focused on quick service from acting half. He wasn't pressured defensively but a pretty good start.

• Like 1

Herbie Farnworth has just scored a sensational long range try for Brisbane Broncos against Gold Coast in front of a sold out Cbus Stadium (27,000). He ran 80 metres down the left wing to beat the Gold Coast defence.

Herbie and Dom Young are, along with Tom Burgess, Elliot Whitehead, Josh Hodgson and John Bateman, the most talked about British performers in the NRL at the moment. 

Herbie was just interviewed in the post-match discussion on Fox League (seen on watchnrl.com). He was praised to the skies as an exciting player and as a game changer.

Edited by Bradman Better

In 2024 the potential England team contingent in the NRL are going to be (in likely field positional arrangement):

Will Pryce (Newcastle Knights)

Dominic Young (Sydney Roosters), Herbie Farnworth (Brisbane Broncos), Oliver Gildart (Dolphins) (?), Lewis Murphy (Sydney Roosters) (?)

Jackson Hastings (Newcastle Knights)

Victor Radley (Sydney Roosters)

Elliot Whitehead (Canberra Raiders), John Bateman (Wests Tigers)

Tom Burgess (South Sydney), Josh Hodgson (Parramatta Eels), Luke Thompson (Canterbury Bulldogs)

Interchange: Ryan Sutton (Canterbury Bulldogs) Kai Pearce-Paul (Newcastle Knights), Kruise Leeming (Gold Coast Titans) (?)

This would make up a majority of the England team.

Several England based players who would be likely selections in a 2024 England team at the expense of some of the listed English NRL players would be:

Jack Welsby (St Helens)

Tommy Makinson (St Helens), Mark Percival (St Helens)

Jonny Lomax (St Helens)

George Williams (Warrington)

Alex Walmsley (St Helens), James Roby (St. Helens)

Edited by Bradman Better
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bradman Better said:

In 2024 the potential England team contingent in the NRL are going to be (in likely field positional arrangement):

Dominic Young (Sydney Roosters), Herbie Farnworth (Brisbane Broncos), Oliver Gildart (Dolphins) ?, 

Tom Burgess (South Sydney), Josh Hodgson (Parramatta Eels), Luke Thompson (Canterbury Bulldogs)

Interchange: Ryan Sutton (Canterbury Bulldogs) Kai Pearce-Paul (Newcastle Knights), Kruise Leeming (Gold Coast Titans) (?)

The England based players who would be likely selections in a 2024 England team at expense of some of the listed NRL players would be:

Jack Welsby (St Helens)

Jonny Lomax (St Helens)

Roby has retired from international rugby 

20 minutes ago, Bradman Better said:

Dominic Young (Sydney Roosters), Herbie Farnworth (Brisbane Broncos), Oliver Gildart (Dolphins) ?, 

Several England based players who would be likely selections in a 2024 England team at the expense of some of the listed English NRL players would be:

Jack Welsby (St Helens)

Jonny Lomax (St Helens)

I doubt Gildart will be in the NRL next year & baring an horrific spate of injuries nowhere near an England place.

On 15/04/2023 at 07:38, Davo5 said:

I doubt Gildart will be in the NRL next year & baring an horrific spate of injuries nowhere near an England place.

I agree about Gildart being nowhere near an England place. I just listed him as a possible English player in the NRL next year. 

But even without Gildart and Lewis Murphy playing in the the NRL in 2024, there will still be a large English contingent in the NRL in 2024. This is great for the competitiveness of the future England teams.

Edited by Bradman Better

On 15/04/2023 at 12:18, Bradman Better said:

Kruise Leeming has just scored his first try in the NRL, playing for the Gold Coast against Brisbane in a defeated team.

Brisbane 43, Gold Coast 26

Leeming had a typical game. Sharp out of dummy half and supports breaks well, leading to his try but often lost the contact in defence and missed a tackle which lead to a Broncos try. A decent overall performance after coming on in the 50th or so minute and got good raps from the commentators. Randall started at 9 and looked good and with Verrils to come back, I’m not sure Leeming will keep his place. If he wanted to stay in NRL though, I’m sure he’d find a club as there are worse hookers than him 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Leeming had a typical game. Sharp out of dummy half and supports breaks well, leading to his try but often lost the contact in defence and missed a tackle which lead to a Broncos try. A decent overall performance after coming on in the 50th or so minute and got good raps from the commentators. Randall started at 9 and looked good and with Verrils to come back, I’m not sure Leeming will keep his place. If he wanted to stay in NRL though, I’m sure he’d find a club as there are worse hookers than him 

I think that's a pretty fair assessment and about where I am, in terms of his NRL prospects moving forward. Sure he'd be snapped up on a 2 year deal by the likes of St George Dragons or even Manly - both only have one decent first grade 9. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Best of luck to him..

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-league/65301067.amp

Isaac Nokes: The rugby league 'Geordie' chasing NRL dreams in Australia

……..

"It had always been my aim, I've never really watched Super League growing up," Nokes told BBC Sport. "Super League was on satellite television and we didn't have that.

"There was a streaming website which had all the NRL on, the games and the talk shows. So I just fell in love with all that.”

• Like 4

Kruise Leeming drops out of the Titans 17 and down to the reserves this week.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris