Jump to content

Brits in the NRL


Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Sounds like he had a decent game this morning.  I can't watch it at the moment as WatchNRL keeps crashing on my tv.

He did , but they are really rubbish . They only came on when the Titans had a man sent off . They’re attack is so basic . O ‘ Brien has had a great apprenticeship but he must be under the cosh 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


On 27/08/2022 at 08:55, Dunbar said:

I would absolutely like to think that.  But I just have this worry that Wane is going to try and prove the UK is strong and only go with the NRL players that he can't leave out because they are established players (Thompson, Whitehead and Tom Burgess).

I hope I'm wrong as I think Farnworth should be nailed on if he is passed fit.

He has plenty of excuses for leaving out Whitehead, if he's looking to prioritise SL players and shine a positive light on the competition up here.

Have to say that I share your concerns about Wane in this regard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Herbie Farnworth hasn't made it back in time for the Broncos last game.  The last I heard was he could be ready for the finals.

But it now looks very unlikely they will make the finals.  I expect the Raiders to beat the Tigers at the weekend and while one of the Rabbitohs and Roosters will lose, both of their points differentials are much better than the Broncos.

If Farnworth hasn't played for a long time before the squad is announced, does this mean Farnworth misses out?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Herbie Farnworth hasn't made it back in time for the Broncos last game.  The last I heard was he could be ready for the finals.

But it now looks very unlikely they will make the finals.  I expect the Raiders to beat the Tigers at the weekend and while one of the Rabbitohs and Roosters will lose, both of their points differentials are much better than the Broncos.

If Farnworth hasn't played for a long time before the squad is announced, does this mean Farnworth misses out?

If he’s fully recovered you’d hope he’s picked,give him a runout for the Knights against against France & then against Fiji in the WC warmup 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davo5 said:

If he’s fully recovered you’d hope he’s picked,give him a runout for the Knights against against France & then against Fiji in the WC warmup 

Ahead of the Sarge ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Dunbar said:

Herbie Farnworth hasn't made it back in time for the Broncos last game.  The last I heard was he could be ready for the finals.

But it now looks very unlikely they will make the finals.  I expect the Raiders to beat the Tigers at the weekend and while one of the Rabbitohs and Roosters will lose, both of their points differentials are much better than the Broncos.

If Farnworth hasn't played for a long time before the squad is announced, does this mean Farnworth misses out?

God, I hope not!

I think he's probably safe, as long as he is ready to go. Surely he impressed enough before his injury.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To be honest I'm not encouraged at all by describing Herbie Farnworth as a shock inclusion.  One of the form centres in the toughest competition on the planet shouldn't be a shock, he should be dead cert.

If he is the shock inclusion then the rest will be same old timers and no fresh talent.

  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

To be honest I'm not encouraged at all by describing Herbie Farnworth as a shock inclusion.  One of the form centres in the toughest competition on the planet shouldn't be a shock, he should be dead cert.

If he is the shock inclusion then the rest will be same old timers and no fresh talent.

Tbh i reckon that was just the writer whoever that is  . Wane’s quotes on Herbie seem pretty firm and confident 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Is Newman out of the WC ?

There is talk that he could return in time.

I know he has had a tough time with injury but fir and on form what a centre combination Farnworth and Newman would be.

  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

There is talk that he could return in time.

I know he has had a tough time with injury but fir and on form what a centre combination Farnworth and Newman would be.

I think centre would go from one of our weaker positions to one of our stronger ones . We know our pack is traditionally solid , so half backs linking those would then be key . And fullback 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I think the writer of that piece is trying to generate clicks by teasing a shock inclusion.

Wane says he has ''no qualms'' and that he ''can't wait to coach him''.

Good to hear! I just hope Herbie heals well over the next month or so! Him and one of Percival, Newman, Connor, Welsby or Watkins could make for  a really good pairing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Luke Thompson has been cut from the extended squad for the Bulldogs for tomorrow's game so, like Farnworth, he has played his last game of the regular season.

The warm up games are going to be critical for these players as they will be entering the competition with little or no rugby for a fair amount of time.

  • Thanks 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gildart played the last 15mins or so today, with Joey Manu going off injured. Didn't look out of place and had a fair bit of involvement for the short time he was on. He looked pretty determined to get involved, and probably could have got over for a try if Crichton hadn't of been a greedy guts close to the line. Going for the line himself when an offload to Gildart was on.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Gildart played the last 15mins or so today, with Joey Manu going off injured. Didn't look out of place and had a fair bit of involvement for the short time he was on. He looked pretty determined to get involved, and probably could have got over for a try if Crichton hadn't of been a greedy guts close to the line. Going for the line himself when an offload to Gildart was on.

He actually came a while before Manu went off he played like 25 minutes, I thought he was great too he made some great runs and he chased downed Cody Walker and saved a try.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Newcastle Knights coach just said in an interview that Dom Young is in the England squad, let’s see how accurate that statement is.

Edited by BroncoFan

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have only seen highlights of todays Newcastle game but Dom Young looked to have had a decent game in another defeat of the Knights. Two tries, one a length of the field intercept. He’s progressing nicely, and had a decent first full season in 1st grade. Let’s hope that progression continues next year.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

great to see DY  score 2 more tries but these are nothing more than roustabout end of season games not test matches - how many tries are shipped in on that side that he defends would be a more important stat if i were a coach- which i am not - so am not qualified to pick the eng team or any team for that matter

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Have only seen highlights of todays Newcastle game but Dom Young looked to have had a decent game in another defeat of the Knights. Two tries, one a length of the field intercept. He’s progressing nicely, and had a decent first full season in 1st grade. Let’s hope that progression continues next year.

Two very good tries and some tries on his side defensively where the Knights were short , one where he rushed  in . Overall the positives outweigh the negatives for me and he’s been a standout in a poor side with 14 tries and strong consistent contributions 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

“ unbelievable … he’s arguably been our best player in the backline , and when he was injured we really missed him . That says a lot . I know he’s been picked in the England squad and he really deserves it “

O’ Brien on Dom Young

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some fans were saying Dom Young should be in the RWC squad at the start of this year. I disagreed then because of his naivety, but he's progressed a startlingly long way since, despite Newcastle still being pants.

I'd call Farnworth a surprise pick, rather than a shock pick, just because he's been out of action for so many rounds. But hyperbole makes for bigger headlines.

  • Like 2

"We are easily breakable, by illness or falling, or a million other ways of leaving this earthly life. We are just so much mashed potato."  Don Estelle

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dominic Young has won two awards at the Newcastle Knights end of season awards.

https://www.newcastleknights.com.au/news/2022/09/07/tyson-frizell-claims-2022-danny-buderus-medal/

The Knight in Shining Armour award (although I have no idea what that means)

and

The Gladiator of the Year award (although I find mixing Knights and Gladiators a bit confusing and prefer we stick to just a single historical armed combatant metaphor at a time)

Anyway, well done him

  • Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...