Brits in the NRL

On 06/06/2020 at 14:21, Allora said:

Its sad that England as a “Tier one Nation” has to rummage through ancestors to put a team on the field to try and compete at Test level.

Sorry I am very late with this, but I will differ with you, England/GB does not have to rummage through ancestor's as you say to put a team on the field, that has been the choice of the last coach, in my opinion we have had better player's of equal or better abillity and I would say far more passion than that of Heighington, Austin, Coote and Hastings, hopefully it will not occur under Mr Wane's watch.

Mr Wane's selection criteria will reflect on player's who are au-fait with their positions not like the last GB tour taking 6 halfbacks and just 2 centre's what was all that about? Mr Wane will have the nationalistic pride and passion that Bennett could not get anywhere near and Mr Wane's pre match team talks will make Bennett's seem like a poetry recital at the local W.I.

I am as exited about the next era of England/GB under Mr Wane as I have been for a long time, we will go very well, no worries.

PS prior to Bennett Macnamara played Rangi Chase, but that was under the daft 3 year residency rule, I would change that to 10 years for any player who happens to go to a 'foriegn' land to pursue his career, not kids that have been brought up and introduced to the sport and not played it elsewhere they should qualify.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Sorry I am very late with this, but I will differ with you, England/GB does not have to rummage through ancestor's as you say to put a team on the field, that has been the choice of the last coach, in my opinion we have had better player's of equal or better abillity and I would say far more passion than that of Heighington, Austin, Coote and Hastings, hopefully it will not occur under Mr Wane's watch.

Mr Wane's selection criteria will reflect on player's who are au-fait with their positions not like the last GB tour taking 6 halfbacks and just 2 centre's what was all that about? Mr Wane will have the nationalistic pride and passion that Bennett could not get anywhere near and Mr Wane's pre match team talks will make Bennett's seem like a poetry recital at the local W.I.

I am as exited about the next era of England/GB under Mr Wane as I have been for a long time, we will go very well, no worries.

PS prior to Bennett Macnamara played Rangi Chase, but that was under the daft 3 year residency rule, I would change that to 10 years for any player who happens to go to a 'foriegn' land to pursue his career, not kids that have been brought up and introduced to the sport and not played it elsewhere they should qualify.

I agree with everything you have  just posted.

Edited by Allora
  • Like 1

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

2 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Farnworth again named in the centres. He is going really well. 

I hope not but I get the feeling Farnworth may be the one to miss out when Staggs returns. It probably shouldn't be but Boyd is selection teflon, Coates gets massive hype like he's Inglis 2.0 and Niu & Isaako are covering fullback.

Just heard on a podcast John Batemans manager has been stripped of his NRL accreditation. no doubt he will appeal, but could mean Bateman switching managers if he's intent on a better deal for 2021.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

4 hours ago, jim_57 said:

I hope not but I get the feeling Farnworth may be the one to miss out when Staggs returns. It probably shouldn't be but Boyd is selection teflon, Coates gets massive hype like he's Inglis 2.0 and Niu & Isaako are covering fullback.

Hope not, Boyd is a shadow of the player he was and even at his best he was made to look great playing outside Inglis, Lockyer and Thurston et al at rep level.

Isaako is also someone of whom the hype about has always passed me by.  I don’t see anything more than a fringe first grade talent.

11 hours ago, Number 16 said:

Should be even better this time round with a bit more prep at centre. Broncos/Norths Devils been running him on the wing for the last 4 years. Got thrown in at the deep end against the Knights.

11 minutes ago, JM2010 said:

When is Luke Thompson due to make his debut? Could it be this weekend?

He has been named in the reserves for the Bulldogs so it is possible he could be brought into the 17 for game day.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 minutes ago, ghost crayfish said:

Playing straight after two weeks in quarantine and a few months in iso back in England is a big ask. I suppose they have to do it sometime, but another week of training couldn't hurt...

He could have a year out the game and he'd still be an improvement on the dross Canterbury have atm

6 hours ago, JM2010 said:

Thanks. I hope he plays. I'm interested to see how he goes

he cant go any worse than the rest- worst dogs side in many many years 

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

12 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

how long will george williams "pass back inside" and kick game last? needs to show a lot more than those 2 tactics and soon

He has the most run metres (420), joint top line breaks (3), second most tackle breaks (15) and second most try assists (7) of all the half backs in the NRL this year.

In what has been a stuttering season so far for the Raiders, Williams's form has been a real positive. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

51 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

He has the most run metres (420), joint top line breaks (3), second most tackle breaks (15) and second most try assists (7) of all the half backs in the NRL this year.

In what has been a stuttering season so far for the Raiders, Williams's form has been a real positive. 

This all seems a little selective and looking at the NRL stats seems inaccurate. Just picking a random player in Shaun Johnson shows Johnson has more run metres (602 v 562) , more try assists (10 v 7) and far more line break assists (5 v 1). Luke Cleary has more try assist and line breaks too than Williams. I also see at least 4 more halfs with more tackle breaks in the top 50,  including Jack Wighton, without looking too closely. I've not even bothered looking at anyone else.

It should also be noted that 2 out of Williams 3 line breaks came in the first game and 5 of his 7 try assists came from kicks. I'm not sure this really disproves the point made by Graveyard Jonny.

Edited by Damien

15 minutes ago, Damien said:

This all seems a little selective and looking at the NRL stats seems inaccurate. Just picking a random player in Shaun Johnson shows Johnson has more run metres (602 v 562) , more try assists (10 v 7) and far more line break assists (5 v 1). Luke Cleary has more try assist and line breaks too than Williams. I also see at least 4 more halfs with more tackle breaks in the top 50,  including Jack Wighton, without looking too closely. I've not even bothered looking at anyone else.

It should also be noted that 2 out of Williams 3 line breaks came in the first game and 5 of his 7 try assists came from kicks. I'm not sure this really disproves the point made by Graveyard Jonny.

I am using the NRL definition of half back here... i.e the number 7 so the Wighton and Johnson comparisons are not really relevant (well, they may be relevant in the overall discussion but not my comparison).

Also, not sure which site you are looking at but the NRL.com and Fox Sports player stats are never really in sync for some reason.

Anyway, happy for you to disagree with things I write but rest assured I didn't make anything up.

6 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I am using the NRL definition of half back here... i.e the number 7 so the Wighton and Johnson comparisons are not really relevant (well, they may be relevant in the overall discussion but not my comparison).

Also, not sure which site you are looking at but the NRL.com and Fox Sports player stats are never really in sync for some reason.

Anyway, happy for you to disagree with things I write but rest assured I didn't make anything up.

I certainly don't think you made anything up and I wouldn't have you down as that kind of poster. I looked at Nrl.com and appreciate these things are subjective as, within reason, the stats can be interpreted to suit our opinion.

10 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

how long will george williams "pass back inside" and kick game last? needs to show a lot more than those 2 tactics and soon

Ricky Stuart's tactics? Every time he does the drop off its to get near the posts to set up an attack or to attack a particular player.. 

It is a little boring to see, like giving up a tackle or an attacking chance. But it is the nrl, so most teams  play the percentage /safety game (not a criticism) 

15 hours ago, Damien said:

I certainly don't think you made anything up and I wouldn't have you down as that kind of poster. I looked at Nrl.com and appreciate these things are subjective as, within reason, the stats can be interpreted to suit our opinion.

Of course stats can be interpreted.

But the point was that I was replying to was that all Williams was contributing was an inside pass and a kicking game.

I pointed out that according to the Fox Sports player stats he has run the ball more than any 7 in the NRL (and second in tackle busts). I would have thought that was relevant when a poster is asking when is he going to add more to the inside passing and kicking.

Luke Thompson gets his first game in the NRL this week, starting at 13 for the Bulldogs.

And Hall gets a start on the wing for the Roosters with Tupou injured.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2020 at 17:47, Allora said:

Mr Wane will have the nationalistic pride and passion that Bennett could not get anywhere near

Lets not forget you guys went very close to winning  the last WC. In fact the way England was attacking the line at the end of the game should have scored . Bennet sent on one of the Burgess twins for the last 10 minutes and he made two handling errors  very frustrating or maybe infuriating , but either way that team gave it everything.Totally agree with you over those selections on the end of year tour ,bizarre, where was Williams!

On 23/06/2020 at 20:06, Number 16 said:

I really like the look of this kid, when he fills out he will be a real handful, gets involved a lot as well which is a good sign and appears to be fairly evasive which is essential if he is going to be top drawer,  wouldn`t be in the Broncos system if they didn`t see something in him either.

22 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

Lets not forget you guys went very close to winning  the last WC. In fact the way England was attacking the line at the end of the game should have scored . Bennet sent on one of the Burgess twins for the last 10 minutes and he made two handling errors  very frustrating or maybe infuriating , but either way that team gave it everything.Totally agree with you over those selections on the end of year tour ,bizarre, where was Williams!

I cant wait till Allora gets to read a post where he is quoted and England is described as 'you guys'.

(To be fair it was Harry's quote initially but it will be fun!)

• Haha 1