Brits in the NRL

24 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Dragons, Wests and the Warriors would be sides I reckon the Dogs can beat so those 3 at least - possibly the Sharks as well. Broncos will go better than last year but will still be round those kind of places too IMO. 

Sharks are far too good and should make the 8. 

I agree on the first 3 though, but still can’t see them finishing higher than 12th at best. Be interesting to see how the Cowboys do, they’ve been pretty woeful recently 

• Like 1

Some of the Brits are getting a run in the final NRL trials this weekend.

Josh Hodgson returns from his injury for the Raiders and is joined by Whitehead, Sutton, Williams and Harry Rushton.

Tom Burgess plays for the Rabbitohs and Dom Young has got a spot on the bench for Newcastle after his strong performance last weekend.

Farnworth misses the Broncos game with a chest injury though.

• Like 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

8 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

George Williams column: England & Canberra half-back on NRL pre-season & Ryan Sutton's accent - BBC Sport

Just in case you missed it, there`s a few laughs in there, turns out Ryan Sutton might be available for Oz, thank you very much.😉😉

It's funny that he has a pop at Sutton for his Aussie vocab and then later says he is 'filthy' with Liverpool about their current form... bet he never used that phrase before moving there.

• Haha 1

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

19 minutes ago, The Rocket said:

George Williams column: England & Canberra half-back on NRL pre-season & Ryan Sutton's accent - BBC Sport

Just in case you missed it, there`s a few laughs in there, turns out Ryan Sutton might be available for Oz, thank you very much.😉😉

Good column, that. Wasn’t just a ‘I’m buzzin’ banal piece.

More, please 👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

• Like 1

Incidentally all NRL trial games are live streaming on NRL.com this weekend. Just have to register to watch. Sure to be a few Brits on display.

https://www.nrl.com/tv/

Edited by EastLondonMike

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Dom Young pretty much Knights best in an easily beaten team missing a lot of regulars. Defended well, looked aggressive, showed some great instincts with feet and hands. Set up a try and made the break for his own try right at the end. 
good showing from him 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, OMEGA said:

Dom Young pretty much Knights best in an easily beaten team missing a lot of regulars. Defended well, looked aggressive, showed some great instincts with feet and hands. Set up a try and made the break for his own try right at the end. 
good showing from him 

I would be amazed if Young didn't get a chance pretty early in the NRL. He looked very good again.

Decent showings from Canberra's Brits, although in a defeat to the Roosters.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 minute ago, barnyia said:

Did Harry rushton play 

Yes. He got some time in both the NSW Cup trial against Norths and then the NRL trial. I didn't catch him in the highlights but there are full match replays available. 

I have just completed my Fantasy NRL line up for the 2021 season kick off.

I have added all the Brits into the lineup to see how they get on this year... the established players in the team and the young guns on the extended bench.  I have added some strong Fantasy performers (that I could afford) to make up the team.

Might have to do a bit of tinkering when the team lists are named

Team: Value $9.78M 

Wing/full back: Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Wing/full back: Daniel Tupou  

Wing/full back: Roger Tuivasa-Sheck

Centre: Herbie Farnworth

Centre: Campbell Graham

Half: George Williams

Half: Jahrome Hughes

Middle: Tom Burgess

Middle: Jai Arrow (who I will swap with Luke Thompson when his ban is up)

Middle: Ryan Sutton

Hooker: Josh Hodgson

Edge forward: Elliott Whitehead

Edge forward:Angus Crichton

Bench: Dylan Walker

Bench: Jack Hethrington

Bench: Franklin Pele

Bench: Corey Harawira-Naera

Extended Bench: Bailey Hodgson

Extended Bench: Harry Rushton

Extended Bench: Dominic Young

Extended Bench: Matt Moylan

Edited by Dunbar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CGD said:

Whitehead?

I missed my edge forwards off the post... updated with Elliott Whitehead and Angus Crichton.

• Like 1

T. Burgess, Farnworth, Whitehead, Williams, Hodgson and Sutton all named in the NRL this week.

Dom Young and Harry Rushton named in the NSW Cup while Luke Thompson is still suspended. 

On 18/02/2021 at 10:33, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Dragons, Wests and the Warriors would be sides I reckon the Dogs can beat so those 3 at least - possibly the Sharks as well. Broncos will go better than last year but will still be round those kind of places too IMO. 

I agree, the doggies will improve this year to lift off the bottom now they're not salary cap constrained, but not enough to make the 8.

My tip for the spoon this year would be the Dragons. Their halves (Norman & Hunt) are woeful overpaid donkeys, and their forwards will get steamrolled once Vaughn or Kerr leave the field.

• Like 1

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

1 hour ago, Saint Toppy said:

I agree, the doggies will improve this year to lift off the bottom now they're not salary cap constrained, but not enough to make the 8.

My tip for the spoon this year would be the Dragons. Their halves (Norman & Hunt) are woeful overpaid donkeys, and their forwards will get steamrolled once Vaughn or Kerr leave the field.

I think the Broncos have to improve massively not to be near the bottom of the table. They were awful last year and capitulated week after week.

They haven't really improved their roster (and lost David Fifita) while Kevin Walters is not a great coach... he may get a short term uplift in effort from them but I think they need more than that longer term.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

I think the Broncos have to improve massively not to be near the bottom of the table. They were awful last year and capitulated week after week.

They haven't really improved their roster (and lost David Fifita) while Kevin Walters is not a great coach... he may get a short term uplift in effort from them but I think they need more than that longer term.

Theyre stacked with good young talent and will get better year on year. Big problem is the halfs though. Croft isnt really anything special and has Dearden breathing down his neck and Milford is what he is. A fullback playing 6. I can see them having a better year but cant see them getting near the 8. Missing Haas for the forst month woint help things either.

Looking forward to seeing Herbie get a good shot this year. Not sure he will keep his spot when Staggs is back though unless he makes himself undroppable.

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png

43 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

Kevin Walters is not a great coach

I watched him on NRL 360 yesterday and boy he was unimpressive . What pleasantly surprised you and the opposite when you came in to the job .... well I had a great office and , err , we were bottom last year which wasn’t good . We need to do better . Really inspiring 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harrigan said:

Looking forward to seeing Herbie get a good shot this year. Not sure he will keep his spot when Staggs is back though unless he makes himself undroppable.

Herbie started most games last season, so no danger of him not keeping a spot. The only difference it makes when Staggs is available again is whether he stays at centre or gets moved out to the wing. 

1 hour ago, Harrigan said:

Theyre stacked with good young talent and will get better year on year

The big question is can Walters be the man to get that improvement.  Nothing I have seen in his coaching career to date suggests he is.

32 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Herbie started most games last season, so no danger of him not keeping a spot. The only difference it makes when Staggs is available again is whether he stays at centre or gets moved out to the wing. 

Yeah, if anything, the worse case would be dropping to the wing and taking Meads spot. Just with Jessie Arthurs still in the picture too its a lot of decent young giuys to fit into 4 spots. Staggs is due back midseason but who knows what happens there, especially with him probably leaving at the end of the season (hopefully to Belmore)

• Like 1

rsz_1rsz_1rsz_2bulldogsbanner.png