16-17 Feb: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

1 minute ago, Hopping Mad said:

Just back from the Oldham-Workington game, which I attended as a neutral. Absolutely cracking entertainment as the visitors won a high-speed, see-saw thriller 32-28. Converted tries in the 74th and 79th minutes steered the Cumbrians to victory but Oldham - and their fans - thought they'd snatched the points at the death. After the final hooter had sounded, the hosts touched down off a bomb only for the referee to blow for an offside. Workington led 12-0 after seven minutes but fell 12-14 behind by the 20th. A try in stoppage time gave Town a 16-14 half-time lead. Oldham began the second half as poorly as they did the first. Town moved 20-14 ahead only for Oldham to lead 28-20 by the 63rd minute. Workington were twice held up in goal before those two late tries clinched a memorable win. I'll be very pleased indeed f I manage during 2019 to watch another game as exciting as this. Official attendance was 765. Good travelling support helped boost the crowd beyond Oldham's usual 500. Admission was £14 (it's £2 extra to sit in the stand) and a 24-page programme sold for £3. Lovely, sunny afternoon. Well worth driving across the Pennines from York!

Offside penalty I believe ? Not sure what happened with the bomb to begin with , did we let it bounce or make a hash of it for the Oldham guy to get it ?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DavidM said:

Offside penalty I believe ? Not sure what happened with the bomb to begin with , did we let it bounce or make a hash of it for the Oldham guy to get it ?

I'll be honest, David - I'm not sure because, four minutes into added time, I moved round to the exit and my view of where the kick landed was obscured by the hospitality box.

Decent crowd (526) in Coventry today to watch 2 expansion teams. West Wales are certainly a different proposition than last year with a lot more grit and also a few dangerous players. Bears were clinical today and put in a decent performance in a pretty disjointed game. Bears finish week one top of the league! 

45 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

Just back from the Oldham-Workington game, which I attended as a neutral. Absolutely cracking entertainment as the visitors won a high-speed, see-saw thriller 32-28. Converted tries in the 74th and 79th minutes steered the Cumbrians to victory but Oldham - and their fans - thought they'd snatched the points at the death. After the final hooter had sounded, the hosts touched down off a towering bomb only for the referee to blow for an offside. Workington led 12-0 after seven minutes but fell 12-14 behind by the 20th. A try in stoppage time gave Town a 16-14 half-time lead. Oldham began the second half as poorly as they did the first. Town moved 20-14 ahead only for Oldham to cross twice and land a penalty to lead 28-20 by the 63rd minute. Workington were twice held up in goal before those two late tries clinched a memorable win. I'll be very pleased indeed if I manage during 2019 to watch another game as exciting as this. Official attendance was 765. Good travelling support helped boost the crowd beyond Oldham's usual 500. Admission was £14 (it's £2 extra to sit in the stand at Whitebank) and a 24-page programme sold for £3. Lovely, sunny afternoon, though a bit chilly during the last quarter. Well worth driving across the Pennines from York!

Should have been at york mate

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

59 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Decent crowd (526) in Coventry today to watch 2 expansion teams. West Wales are certainly a different proposition than last year with a lot more grit and also a few dangerous players. Bears were clinical today and put in a decent performance in a pretty disjointed game. Bears finish week one top of the league! 

That’s a good attendance for Coventry especially as I don’t envisage WWR bringing many.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 hours ago, Rob Nash said:

Excellent start to the season. The 2 favourites with the bookies losing at home has certainly made it interesting. Can't wait for next Sunday!!

Those odds have changed after one game . 

2 hours ago, Thunder fan said:

how we threw that half time lead away i will never ever know, game of 2 halves though, no reason to panic yet only first game of the season haha, we have just announced a new signing coming from north devils in australia cook island prop forward, looks big unit, just what we need.

Carne Doyle-Manga. A big enforcer, can be a little lazy in defence but in League One he’ll go well.

Archived