1. 1. Who will win?

• Wigan Warriors by 13 points or more
    • Wigan Warriors by 7 to 12 points
    • Wigan Warriors by 1 to 6 points
    • Sydney Roosters by 1 to 6 points
    • Sydney Roosters by 7 to 12 points
    • Sydney Roosters by 13 points or more

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/02/19 at 19:45

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supporting the Roosters this weekend, I simply don’t buy the “the whole of the  Rugby League in the U.K. should be behind  Wigan” spiel spouted by Adrian Lam or whoever the English side is that gets to play in it. 

A Wigan win means nothing, ultimately, unless you’re a Wigan fan and then it’s a pretty big event and I respect that but for the wider game as a whole, Wigan’s win doesn’t change anything. Wigan win and it doesn’t change the Australian’s view on the competition of the WCC, the Super League or the International game. Wigan, Bradford, Saints and Leeds have won the WCC in the Super League era and there’s never been any changes from the Australian’s as a result of this. Roosters lose and it will barely cause a ripple down under, it’ll be seen as a glorified friendly, they’ll move on and focus on the NRL. Roosters win and the attitude will be “yeah, so what? You were expected to beat them”. 

A Wigan win also doesn’t change the view of the game in the UK either. A win and there suddenly won’t be a swell of new sponsors, investors and spectators into the game. It potentially won’t get a mention on national news because there will be the usual Football, Cricket, Rugby Union, F1 etc ranked above it by TV companies. 

There’s really no actual benefit to Rugby League here that Wigan win this and besides, I don’t really want Wigan to win a game of tiddlywinks (as I’d expect them to be of St Helens should we ever reach a final and win one again), so why would I support them because of the fact they are playing an Australian team? 

As for the game, I think Roosters will probably edge it based on quality but it will be close because Wigan will be fitter due to the different stages both teams are at in their seasons. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Supporting the Roosters this weekend, I simply don’t buy the “the whole of the  Rugby League in the U.K. should be behind  Wigan” spiel spouted by Adrian Lam or whoever the English side is that gets to play in it. 

A Wigan win means nothing, ultimately, unless you’re a Wigan fan and then it’s a pretty big event and I respect that but for the wider game as a whole, Wigan’s win doesn’t change anything. Wigan win and it doesn’t change the Australian’s view on the competition of the WCC, the Super League or the International game. Wigan, Bradford, Saints and Leeds have won the WCC in the Super League era and there’s never been any changes from the Australian’s as a result of this. Roosters lose and it will barely cause a ripple down under, it’ll be seen as a glorified friendly, they’ll move on and focus on the NRL. Roosters win and the attitude will be “yeah, so what? You were expected to beat them”. 

A Wigan win also doesn’t change the view of the game in the UK either. A win and there suddenly won’t be a swell of new sponsors, investors and spectators into the game. It potentially won’t get a mention on national news because there will be the usual Football, Cricket, Rugby Union, F1 etc ranked above it by TV companies. 

There’s really no actual benefit to Rugby League here that Wigan win this and besides, I don’t really want Wigan to win a game of tiddlywinks (as I’d expect them to be of St Helens should we ever reach a final and win one again), so why would I support them because of the fact they are playing an Australian team? 

As for the game, I think Roosters will probably edge it based on quality but it will be close because Wigan will be fitter due to the different stages both teams are at in their seasons. 

And this is why we're shagged.

If we can repeatedly beat the NRL teams (wether that's their teams or Aus/NZ) then our competition and the England team will be taken seriously, which will have far a far reaching impact. 

Many Aussies think English RL is a talentless void, which means they think that of your chosen club. Surely you want an English team to show them that they're wrong?

8 minutes ago, andyscoot said:

And this is why we're shagged.

If we can repeatedly beat the NRL teams (wether that's their teams or Aus/NZ) then our competition and the England team will be taken seriously, which will have far a far reaching impact. 

Many Aussies think English RL is a talentless void, which means they think that of your chosen club. Surely you want an English team to show them that they're wrong?

We beat them almost religiously between 2000-2008, 6 out of 8 times in fact, and their opinions, importance placed on the game and the wider impact of such wins here in the UK didn’t change. It won’t change with a Wigan win at the weekend either. 

I want the England team to beat Australia, I want to see them do it in Sydney probably more than I do in England, that would put the cat amongst the pigeons internationally, make them take the International game more seriously and have a wider effect in the UK , Wigan beating Sydney at the weekend, won’t have that same effect. 

Well I’m looking forward to what I hope to be a cracking game and I hope Wigan win. I’ve supported every English team that has played in a World Club Challenge not because I want us to change the perceptions of others but because I relate more to our clubs than theirs.

There doesn’t have to be a greater purpose all the time, it’s just a one off game between two sides stacked with talent for the right for one club to be crowned world champs.

What’s not to like!

There is a tendency to assume that the most one eyed, NRL obsessed Aussie represents the whole country’s league loving fan base. It is worth bearing in mind the difference in scale and profile of the game over there. It is huge - their Premier League. With that comes challenges when it comes to the world outside Oz, and indeed many thousands won’t look beyond local games and SoO.

That said, there are very many Aussies who love our game for its own sake, and would like nothing more than to see the game over here thrive. Even if it is only 1/4 of them, that would be a vast audience anywhere else in the world for our game. Showing that we are competitive, building on the World Cup successes and series win over the Kiwis, shows that we can be proud of our competition, and the standard of play that we enjoy every week. 

From Wigan’s perspective, we proudly put 4 golden stars on our shirts, as being world champions means a great deal to us. Whether the rest of the game feels the same way, Wigan sees itself as representing the game over here, and will do all we can to do the English game proud. 

Whether that will be enough remains to be seen. But one thing this Wigan team has shown is an ability to dig deep, and we will leave nothing out there. 

I also think a Wigan win would be good for UK RL prestige, but each year the WCC seems to have less importance.   That's obviously a shame, but these days as fan winning the WCC would be much further down the order of priority when compared to the CC or GF.   I'd put it above the LLS though for sure.

I would like Wigan to win, but I think Roosters will win by 8-10 points. Either way, I hope it's an entertaining game. Now to find a pub in Hastings that will be showing it?

OOH! Forgot to mention, I have UC due on Friday, and I don't have possession of my daughter this weekend, so I'm free...………….

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

We beat them almost religiously between 2000-2008, 6 out of 8 times in fact, and their opinions, importance placed on the game and the wider impact of such wins here in the UK didn’t change. It won’t change with a Wigan win at the weekend either. 

I want the England team to beat Australia, I want to see them do it in Sydney probably more than I do in England, that would put the cat amongst the pigeons internationally, make them take the International game more seriously and have a wider effect in the UK , Wigan beating Sydney at the weekend, won’t have that same effect. 

Consistency is key. During that period our international team wasn't as successful either. We need to pose a consistent challenge across a number of years to make a difference. Having purple patches doesn't help.

I genuinely would (and have) support St Helens against an NRL team because I'm an English RL fan above being a Wigan fan. Maybe that's backwards, I don't know?

EDIT: 

To discuss the match itself, I reckon Sydney will take it. Guys like Cronk, Tedesco and Cordner are way too good. Cronk bossed a grand final with a broken shoulder blade - a lack of match fitness won't be an issue for these guys.

Well, as usual I will support the SL team. I'm not overly concerned what the NRL teams think of SL, but I think SL teams winning these games creates a positive vibe rather than the usual 'we're doomed' narrative, so I will always support the SL team.

4 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Brilliant words, I don't know how you managed to produce them bearing in mind there is absolutely nothing in between your ears.

3 hours ago, Cheshire Setter said:

I also think a Wigan win would be good for UK RL prestige, but each year the WCC seems to have less importance.   That's obviously a shame, but these days as fan winning the WCC would be much further down the order of priority when compared to the CC or GF.   I'd put it above the LLS though for sure.

I think it ought to be harder to win the CC than it is now,  because previously top teams came in when it was the round of 32. So you have to get to the top 5 then win the GF in order to get into the WCC.

I hope Wigan win, I just hope no saints players get injured in their unopposed training session with the Roosters.  

?

Will Wigan win? They are in with a chance, but not if they give away easy errors and penalties.

Im not a Wigan fan but im really looking forward to this and will be cheering them on all the way.

If they keep it tight in the first quarter they will have a chance - Wigan by 6 then wait for the Aussies to say its just a warm up match....

Is it more or less sold out now??

48 minutes ago, Mr Frisky said:

Im not a Wigan fan but im really looking forward to this and will be cheering them on all the way.

If they keep it tight in the first quarter they will have a chance - Wigan by 6 then wait for the Aussies to say its just a warm up match....

Those cagey Aussies never reveal whether it is a serious match or a pre-season jolly 'til after the final hooter. :biggrin:

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Mr Frisky said:

East Stand - Sold Out

South Stand - Almost Sold Out

West Stand -  Around 75% Sold

North Stand - Around 40% Sold

Looking around 20k ish.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

same old same old

Roosters win their first Trial game in the chilly northern wastelands = Super League is excremental in quality

Wigan beat the Roosters in their first trial game = Cue TRL posters claiming Super League is just as high a  standard as the  NRL...

Regardless the Roosters pre-season training is disrupted and this could impact in the first few rounds in the NRL conversely since the UK clubs treat this so seriously Wigan could find themselves like Warrington who played the perfect half of RL against Brisbane Broncos a couple of seasons ago and then underachieved for the reat of that season.

In reality until this game gets played in the middle of the following Super Lerague and NRL seasons thus giving the contest credibility , the result will be meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

I will be watching though ?

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

personally not fussed who wins so long as it's a good game, If Wigan win I won't be disappointed and yes they are sort of in a lose lose situation aside from the money and prestige.

I've gone SYD by 7-12 but based on what, that we think SYD are the better team, very probably, but are they up to the races though?

2 hours ago, THE RED ROOSTER said:

same old same old

Roosters win their first Trial game in the chilly northern wastelands = Super League is excremental in quality

Wigan beat the Roosters in their first trial game = Cue TRL posters claiming Super League is just as high a  standard as the  NRL...

Regardless the Roosters pre-season training is disrupted and this could impact in the first few rounds in the NRL conversely since the UK clubs treat this so seriously Wigan could find themselves like Warrington who played the perfect half of RL against Brisbane Broncos a couple of seasons ago and then underachieved for the reat of that season.

In reality until this game gets played in the middle of the following Super Lerague and NRL seasons thus giving the contest credibility , the result will be meaningless in the grand scheme of things.

I will be watching though ?

Certainly I think it should be played in the middle of the season, with a break to accommodate the game. Standard alternate between Aussie and GB. 

Myself I would expand the CC at the start of the season and then bring on the WCC straight after  that. 

Well it might not change anything, but a Wigan win would still be a win for SL imo. We are always hearing about how inferior we are  to the NRL, so any time we can get one up on the Aussies it's worth celebrating imo.

A lot depends on where the Chooks are in their preparation. If they are still a little off the pace in their conditioning then Wigan should be able to outlast them. But all things being equal they are the better team by 2 or 3 scores.

I'll go Sydney by 10. Something like 22-12. But I shall be hoping that I'm wrong.

Archived