Gossip is Richardson to Leigh to get more game time

Richardson hasn’t played this season, we have a week off, so he wouldn’t be playing this weekend anyway and he won’t have played a competitive for a long time by the time we face Leeds next weekend, so getting him a game at Leigh, who we’re dual reg’d with, seems sensible. 

Some rumours he’s fallen out of favour through attitude and behaviour but I’m not sure they’re much more than that. He had a disrupted pre-season through injury, missed the England Knights tour to PNG, and Theo Fages trained well in the off-season and is up to this point, is taking his opportunity in the side. 

Also, I think the reduction in interchanges to eight has also stunted Richardson’s playing time. So far, there has only been two proper (like, it’s their primary position) backs on the bench across all Super League games this year. In the first round of games in 2018, there were seven proper backs on the bench. I think the reduction has seen a visible reduction, so far, in backs being selected because bringing them on and then off uses 25% of your subs and whilst it’s still new and forwards are getting used to more playing time. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Richardson hasn’t played this season, we have a week off, so he wouldn’t be playing this weekend anyway and he won’t have played a competitive for a long time by the time we face Leeds next weekend, so getting him a game at Leigh, who we’re dual reg’d with, seems sensible. 

Some rumours he’s fallen out of favour through attitude and behaviour but I’m not sure they’re much more than that. He had a disrupted pre-season through injury, missed the England Knights tour to PNG, and Theo Fages trained well in the off-season and is up to this point, is taking his opportunity in the side. 

Also, I think the reduction in interchanges to eight has also stunted Richardson’s playing time. So far, there has only been two proper (like, it’s their primary position) backs on the bench across all Super League games this year. In the first round of games in 2018, there were seven proper backs on the bench. I think the reduction has seen a visible reduction, so far, in backs being selected because bringing them on and then off uses 25% of your subs and whilst it’s still new and forwards are getting used to more playing time. 

I am guessing the typical option is having a utility second row as a plausible centre.

What would be interesting is what would happen if total squad numbers went down to 16.  This ultimately might leave space for a complete team!  Or produce enough to create a full set of reserve fixtures.

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

There's a maximum number you can send out on Dual Reg and Holbrook says there's 1 more spot still available to saints. He just needs to decide whether its Richardson, Swift or Bently who goes out.

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

2 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Isn't he playing in the practice game were Saints are helping the Roosters out?

Well we certainly need a number 7 at Leigh, Josh Woods flatters to decieve, he simply does not get himself involved in the game, maybe he is playing to instruction, very very noticible he keeps himself well out of the way of being involved in any contact area's, this division needs 7's who get involved, take the line on, commit defenders and not afraid to roll their sleeves up, Woods does not do that, Richardson who would have something to prove 'back home' would probably be a much better fit, I for one would relish to see him in the Cherry and White.

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Well we certainly need a number 7 at Leigh, Josh Woods flatters to decieve, he simply does not get himself involved in the game, maybe he is playing to instruction, very very noticible he keeps himself well out of the way of being involved in any contact area's, this division needs 7's who get involved, take the line on, commit defenders and not afraid to roll their sleeves up, Woods does not do that, Richardson who would have something to prove 'back home' would probably be a much better fit, I for one would relish to see him in the Cherry and White.

Time yet for Josh harold , yes on sunday when chasing the game he should have run the ball , im sure JD will be looking at that this week

I worry when you relish seeing DR players at Leigh , that is an oft used argument for the concept from those who follow the bigger clubs " And you'll get to see up and coming young players from better,bigger clubs "

13 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Time yet for Josh harold , yes on sunday when chasing the game he should have run the ball , im sure JD will be looking at that this week

I worry when you relish seeing DR players at Leigh , that is an oft used argument for the concept from those who follow the bigger clubs " And you'll get to see up and coming young players from better,bigger clubs "

If you look back and notice my comments in numerous threads Gubby with regards to DR you will see that I am one of the biggest critics of the system, for many reasons I simply do not like it.

But saying that, and considering the position we are in as a club reluctantly I will accept the situation at the moment, I only hope it does not become the norm and Mr B once again steps forward or he sells the club on to another individual or party that will 'invest'.

Back to Josh, I have ovserved him very closely in the two league encounters, I will offer him some leeway in the friendly, in my opinion and considering we are going to have some very hard uncompromising games this season what I have seen up to now he does not fit the bill of the type of No 7 we require, hopefully as you say JD may be able to alter that, but at the moment I would swop him for Richardson failing that give young Russell a run out.

It's amazing how much Richardsons stock has fallen. When Fages was not the starter last year, the majority of the time he was on the bench. However he's a more physical player than Richardson and versitle.

Richardson, is a good half back just lost a bit of form and confidence it seems. I'm sure he will be back in SL and starting soon. I remember him knocking over that penalty from 50m to win a game in June or July last year. 

On 2/17/2019 at 2:04 AM, SL17 said:

I await your comment with interest come Sunday H..

SL I have no comment to make sadly, I returned from a midweek break overseas and brought home with me more than I took, hence I have not been able to be more than 1/2 an hour away from a convienience.

Perhaps you can give me your view of how proceedings developed with a change of half backs.

21 hours ago, Saint 1 said:

Most of the people calling for him to play for England were people who saw a couple of highlights of him and formed their judgement from that. He has some big deficiencies both defensively and with the ball; hopefully going to Leigh will help him smooth these out under less pressure. 

I disagree - most of the people calling for him to play for England were the ones who were swayed by Eddie, Barrie and Terry constantly bleating on about him

I fear the same for Jake Truman at Cas

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

29 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

I disagree - most of the people calling for him to play for England were the ones who were swayed by Eddie, Barrie and Terry constantly bleating on about him

I have no fear Trueman will do this business in time.  Very committed player and on a different level, imo, to Richardson.

2 hours ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

Agree. I got caught in the Sky hype and saw him as England ready at the time.

I get the vibe he got a bit too cocky.  Can anyone comment on this? 

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

SL I have no comment to make sadly, I returned from a midweek break overseas and brought home with me more than I took, hence I have not been able to be more than 1/2 an hour away from a convienience.

Perhaps you can give me your view of how proceedings developed with a change of half backs.

Hope your settling down now Harry.

Whats your feelings on the 5 Saints DRs?  

9 hours ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Read that Richardson was the poorest of the bunch. Smith the best. 

He looked very 'rusty' in the first half - understandable, as it was his first game of the season - but was looking much sharper in the second half. All 17 players, did well. Smith was my MOM, and Douglas was very good, as he has been in all three games

Archived