Gossip is Richardson to Leigh to get more game time

How fair is it to bring SL players into the Championship on short (1month) contacts, or even a bit longer?

How fair that is on the other Championship teams, those who had the misfortune of the luck of the draw, to play against a supposedly quality player who just needs some game time. Whereas later luckier teams find he has been called back.

Shouldn't DRs be for a season?

40 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Alternatively called 'Season Long Loans'?

Let's be honest, DR is set up to benefit the sending club. It gives game time to fringe players and those coming back from injury, all the while enabling the parent club to be in control of when and where those players play. That's fair enough, as they are the people paying the wages - but let's not kid ourselves that the receiving club is the focus.

When we were on the receiving end of DR last season and (even more so) the year before, I found that there was a wide disparity in the levels of effort and the way that the other clubs treated it. You'd get players being called back to their parent club on the eve of a game as cover, and then never even being needed in the end! Very disruptive. 

And some of the players we had clearly put in a very sub-standard effort. To be fair it must be hard for players, suddenly being shipped off to some club that they really aren't bothered about. Some of them seemed more bothered about not getting injured than putting in a shift for us!

1 hour ago, paulwalker71 said:

Alternatively called 'Season Long Loans'?

Let's be honest, DR is set up to benefit the sending club. It gives game time to fringe players and those coming back from injury, all the while enabling the parent club to be in control of when and where those players play. That's fair enough, as they are the people paying the wages - but let's not kid ourselves that the receiving club is the focus.

When we were on the receiving end of DR last season and (even more so) the year before, I found that there was a wide disparity in the levels of effort and the way that the other clubs treated it. You'd get players being called back to their parent club on the eve of a game as cover, and then never even being needed in the end! Very disruptive. 

And some of the players we had clearly put in a very sub-standard effort. To be fair it must be hard for players, suddenly being shipped off to some club that they really aren't bothered about. Some of them seemed more bothered about not getting injured than putting in a shift for us!

Some good points.  Players being happy seems to go out of the window where DR comes in. 

3 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

How fair is it to bring SL players into the Championship on short (1month) contacts, or even a bit longer?

How fair that is on the other Championship teams, those who had the misfortune of the luck of the draw, to play against a supposedly quality player who just needs some game time. Whereas later luckier teams find he has been called back.

I don't think its very fair at all and I believe DR should be scrapped for mandatory Reserves/Academy at all SL/Champ clubs.

As much as I don't like it, put yourself in Leigh's shoes this year, for a few years now club has gone ball's out to compete financially and for all the stupid things Derek has done he fought a lot for Salary Cap equality in both divisions for all clubs.

2018 saw a star studded Leigh squad beaten by teams on a QTR of their budget padded out wit DR (Fev/Fax etc)

I suppose if you cant beat them you join them?

6 hours ago, AlanE said:

He looked very 'rusty' in the first half - understandable, as it was his first game of the season - but was looking much sharper in the second half. All 17 players, did well. Smith was my MOM, and Douglas was very good, as he has been in all three games

To be fair to the lad he didn't exactly get a lot of ball first half to show what he can do. There was a good 20 minute period where we didn't touch the ball except to reset the tackle count. He still managed to assist one try though. 

4 minutes ago, binosh said:

I don't think its very fair at all and I believe DR should be scrapped for mandatory Reserves/Academy at all SL/Champ clubs.

As much as I don't like it, put yourself in Leigh's shoes this year, for a few years now club has gone ball's out to compete financially and for all the stupid things Derek has done he fought a lot for Salary Cap equality in both divisions for all clubs.

2018 saw a star studded Leigh squad beaten by teams on a QTR of their budget padded out wit DR (Fev/Fax etc)

I suppose if you cant beat them you join them?

While I’m not a fan of DR what you are saying is all well and good if you have someone like Del to pump money into a club but the club is unsustainable if that person walks away as he threatened to do. DR is the only way clubs without a sugar daddy can compete, by all means get rid of DR but put a limit in place that owners can put in and make clubs operate on a sustainable basis and create a level playing field.

5 hours ago, Rupert Prince said:

Not sure why month long loans are being brought into this. The loan system has always been in place, and never been an issue. 

On 2/13/2019 at 3:24 PM, Saint Toppy said:

There's a maximum number you can send out on Dual Reg and Holbrook says there's 1 more spot still available to saints. He just needs to decide whether its Richardson, Swift or Bently who goes out.

I'd stick my rubbed neck out and suggest Richardson.

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

Archived