One Yorkshire devolution plan rejected

Interesting article on the 'One Yorkshire' devolution proposal which has just been rejected by the government for reasons best known to them.

https://www.citymetric.com/politics/james-brokenshire-s-rejection-one-yorkshire-devolution-deal-absolutely-stinks-partisanship

I'm unconvinced by the march towards breaking the country up into chunks with devolved Mayors anyway - I'd rather the government (of any colour) just funded existing local authorities adequately rather than bribe them into sitting together under the umbrella of a single political figurehead, leading to the locals having no idea who is actually responsible for what.

But, if we have to do this, as a Bradfordian, I could have just about lived with being part of 'One Yorkshire' rather than the previously proposed 'Leeds City Region' (to which my only response would ever be: over my dead body).

In the meantime, it seems our existing local authorities will continue to be starved of cash until they contrive a formula that will allow them to draw a line on a map that suits the government, in order to unlock access to the significant wedges of money promised to a new, as yet undefined northern mayoralty.

If devolution is to mean anything at all, surely it should be up to those 'being devolved to' to decide where those lines should be drawn, rather than a faraway government minister in London?

Just now, John Drake said:

Interesting article on the 'One Yorkshire' devolution proposal which has just been rejected by the government for reasons best known to them.

https://www.citymetric.com/politics/james-brokenshire-s-rejection-one-yorkshire-devolution-deal-absolutely-stinks-partisanship

I'm unconvinced by the march towards breaking the country up into chunks with devolved Mayors anyway - I'd rather the government (of any colour) just funded existing local authorities adequately rather than bribe them into sitting together under the umbrella of a single political figurehead, leading to the locals having no idea who is actually responsible for what.

But, if we have to do this, as a Bradfordian, I could have just about lived with being part of 'One Yorkshire' rather than the previously proposed 'Leeds City Region' (to which my only response would ever be: over my dead body).

In the meantime, it seems our existing local authorities will continue to be starved of cash until they contrive a formula that will allow them to draw a line on a map that suits the government, in order to unlock access to the significant wedges of money promised to a new, as yet undefined northern mayoralty.

If devolution is to mean anything at all, surely it should be up to those 'being devolved to' to decide where those lines should be drawn, rather than a faraway government minister in London?

Until you have straightforward, and equal, federalism, across the country, it is all a load of ######.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

6 hours ago, gingerjon said:

Until you have straightforward, and equal, federalism, across the country, it is all a load of ######.

Yes. 

Some level of devolution of power is desperately needed, but it needs to be across the whole country.   At the moment there are at least five devolution settlements in the UK that I can think of - and each is completely different. 

And this really ought to be a huge story.  This was, potentially, a moment of huge constitutional change with far reaching implications.   And yet it has received no coverage whatsoever 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

2 hours ago, damp squib said:

Has anyone ever produced a realistic plan of what that would look like?

There are many templates available in similarly sized and much better run countries 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Come on now, this idea died when Osborne went. It was a silly sop to naïve Northerners to pretend they were being given more power, while the money given to councils was being cut to the bone. I am surprised it hasn't been killed off formally yet.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

It is a silly sop

It should be a proper proposal for constitutionally protected devolution of defined powers 

Yorkshire has a population and economy of roughly the same size as Scotland.   Where is Yorkshire’s Parliament?  Where is Yorkshire’s First Minister?   

11 minutes ago, Steve May said:

It is a silly sop

It should be a proper proposal for constitutionally protected devolution of defined powers 

Yorkshire has a population and economy of roughly the same size as Scotland.   Where is Yorkshire’s Parliament?  Where is Yorkshire’s First Minister?   

Eric Pickles ate him.  Needs the waffer theen meent of power to set him free.

E32818DE-E41D-427D-88ED-609E2BF4ED9E.jpeg

13 hours ago, Steve May said:

It is a silly sop

Where is the demand for them?

Devolution in Scotland came about because Scotland had a much longer history as an independent political entity so separatism was always going to be a viable political option with popular support.

I think the real movement for English federalism will come if/when Scotland and NI leave the union. I can't see a situation persisting where you have Westminster and the Senedd as the only two legislative bodies. Either the Senedd disappears or there's full federalism.

14 hours ago, Steve May said:

There are many templates available in similarly sized and much better run countries 

I'm a geography nerd so I'm mainly just interested in it for the maps. Are we talking modern administrative areas, historic counties, Anglo-Saxon kingdoms...

1 hour ago, damp squib said:

Where is the demand for them?

There isn't a demand.

It is government policy to impose devolution in this way.

It's a complete mess, like everything else the government touches.

Archived