Reserve league

HS98

30 minutes ago, HS98 said:

Hull have released fixtures for a reserve competition also appearing to involve Bradford Halifax featherstone keighley and Wakefield 

http://www.hullfc.com/news/2019-02-14-reserves-fixtures-confirmed-for-2019

Funny how those 5 can see the value in running a reserve team yet others think it's too costly ?

5 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Funny how those 5 can see the value in running a reserve team yet others think it's too costly ?

Round our way even the wholly amateur RU sides have first and second teams.

I am all for a fully organised/compulsory reserve league not just for SL but also the Championship, but I do not think the authorities are willing to serve up the order.

It will get rid of DR immediately and all below SL will have to recruit from the leagues below, standards in all of the game in the UK will drop in the immediate future, and what will happen to the already struggling community game, player numbers are diminishing year on year, there will have to be a conserted effort and investment from the sports administrators at the top to make the game attractive to increase player numbers, I don't think they have either the will or the resources to go down that path, so sadly I don't expect that we will see any compulsory reserve leagues ever again.

39 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I am all for a fully organised/compulsory reserve league not just for SL but also the Championship, but I do not think the authorities are willing to serve up the order.

It will get rid of DR immediately and all below SL will have to recruit from the leagues below, standards in all of the game in the UK will drop in the immediate future, and what will happen to the already struggling community game, player numbers are diminishing year on year, there will have to be a conserted effort and investment from the sports administrators at the top to make the game attractive to increase player numbers, I don't think they have either the will or the resources to go down that path, so sadly I don't expect that we will see any compulsory reserve leagues ever again.

With respect to that argument, we don’t really know what will happen.  Right now, the DR scenario is available to be exploited if the club chooses and the RFL, with the usual non committal approach, say it’s up to the clubs.  Maybe the change in academy age will help.

I can see it from both sides but the question still remains of how to bridge the gap between academy players being ready for SL or 1st team.  

Arguably, we could compare 2 top sides in Wigan and Leeds (barring the last couple of years they were a champion side).  Wane didn’t like DR and opted for reserves until leaving and their choice this year, Leeds championed DR.  Wigan’s stock of young SL ready players is quite apparent.

7 hours ago, Alffi 7 said:

Warrington, Wigan & Saints have all been very vocal of their support for a reserves comp. They will only compete in an official RFL comp though as they didn’t feel the current set up was fit for purpose.

That was Hull's stance last year. I am pleased that we have changed our minds though, because I think if you want something and believe it's the right way to go then it's better to try to change it yourself than just complain and do nothing. 

If those teams all got on board then you have a decent little competition that serves a purpose. Official or not.

7 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

But there must not be enough "community players" already because many SL players are already playing for these community teams.  !!

6 hours ago, MZH said:

That was Hull's stance last year. I am pleased that we have changed our minds though, because I think if you want something and believe it's the right way to go then it's better to try to change it yourself than just complain and do nothing. 

If those teams all got on board then you have a decent little competition that serves a purpose. Official or not.

Part of me agrees. However there were enough clubs over the past couple of years to make it work. Unfortunately because it wasn’t an official comp there were loads of games cancelled because one of the sides cried off. Warrington went weeks on end without a fixture. An official comp will see fixtures completed and clubs to put plans in place for squad sizes and competition rules etc.

I am always sceptical about the alleged cost of a reserve team.

Surely most of the players are already on fixed salaries so get payed whether they play or not.

Ok there might be bonuses etc on top but they should be covered by gate money and on the day revenues. What other costs ? Insurance, travel ?? Cant be that much 

All SL teams should run one and there should be a proper Reserves league. I have often gone to watch reserves games. As a fan always good to see the up and comers and the odd out of favour or coming back from injury seasoned pro

6 hours ago, Hullfan said:

Good to see Gaz Ellis get a run out today before he plays next week against Wigan. 

He won't be playing against Wigan.

He said he put his hand up to play today to make up the numbers because we also had guys playing for Doncaster and Radford didn't want the first team guys playing big minutes. I don't see any reason to doubt that.

Although if he did make a first team return he would certainly make more of an impact than most of our current forwards.

9 hours ago, MZH said:

He won't be playing against Wigan.

He said he put his hand up to play today to make up the numbers because we also had guys playing for Doncaster and Radford didn't want the first team guys playing big minutes. I don't see any reason to doubt that.

Although if he did make a first team return he would certainly make more of an impact than most of our current forwards.

He'll be good against a battered Wigan team, can't wait to go watch him 

“At this moment in time I’m ruling out a return for Wigan.”

Direct quote from Ellis. Sounds like he would be open to playing if we were desperate, similar to Yeaman last year. But I can't imagine Radford doing it unless we had no other option. It would be a big kick in the teeth for the youngsters and fringe players, and would make his recruitment (or lack of it) seem even worse than it already does.

On 2/15/2019 at 2:53 PM, MZH said:

They have been on board in previous years though and due to no official competition there have been no where near enough games or games against lower league clubs that were not competitive enough. Wigan reserves had many games cancelled last season for instance. It's great Hull now have one again but if clubs like Hull hadn't scrapped them in the first place we wouldn't be where we are now.

1 hour ago, Hullfan said:

I don't gamble, like I said its a mugs game. Plus you wouldn't have bet anyways, never mind!! 

In my defence it was more of a turn of phrase than a serious offer, although I might have had a tenner with you had you pushed me.

In all seriousness though I am really surprised by it. I honestly didn't think much of it when he played for the reserves. I just thought he was making up the numbers and keeping himself fit. I thought there might be a chance of him coming back later in the year if injuries hit again, but not now. I think this just proves how desperate Radford is. He has to be feeling the heat.

All that said. It could work. Even if his playing ability is just average these days, he has always had a presence about him and an ability to inspire his team mates. A bit of leadership might go a long way.

Archived