Match Thread: Leigh v Featherstone Rovers v Sunday 17th February 2019

marklaspalmas

Even at this early stage of the season, this looks like a really important fixture.

If we are serious about Top 5 then this week and next week are the types of games we will have to win.

Squad news. Hardcastle still suspended. Bussey too. Harrison injured. Not sure why Wheeldon pulled out, but hopefully he's back.

Turner and D.Smith loans continue.

Everyone else ok, so expect all 15 to be in the 19.

That leaves 4 spots for DR and reserves. Briscoe already feels semi-permanent, and the rest?

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, this is a chance for both teams to set down a marker. First live regular-season game of the season for me so can't wait.

Assuming Wheeldon has recovered from what sounded like an overnight illness, we pretty much know which of our contracted players will be in the squad, as Mark says, so it just remains to be seen who is drafted into the 3 slots remaining for DR.

The player over whom there is probably the biggest question mark in our squad right now is John Davies. He has gone from being the regular starter on the right edge to being a filler in the middle, his minutes seem to be getting fewer with each passing game, and he looked bewildered when substituted last week having been on for less than 15 minutes (though he did come back later). I think we all remember Jon Sharp's comments about him, but I'm worried that he'll struggle to get in the 17 when Bussey and Harrison are available again.

One thing that Carr did say last week was that Maskill came into the 17 only when Wheeldon dropped out, so it looks like the plan might be to go with King for 80 minutes on an ongoing basis.

Sounds like Leigh might have Danny Richardson playing for them on DR, will be interesting to see how that impacts them, can be difficult for half backs coming in on DR but he is a quality player who made the SL dream team last year. They don't look to have the biggest of packs so hopefully we can get on top up the middle as we did last week.

23 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

That Richardson is handy. But Halfback is a difficult position to slot into on DR.

Im happier to see Fev using 3/4ers and front/second-rowers on DR tbh.

Leeds' squad includes Singleton and Newman - it did so last week, too, when Singleton played for us, the difference being we are playing on the same day and same kick-off time this week (albeit about 10 miles away!).

Looks like Briscoe, Cam Smith and maybe 1 other on DR this week at a guess. Mullally maybe? Though we haven't seen him on DR yet this year.

1 minute ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Leeds' squad includes Singleton and Newman - it did so last week, too, when Singleton played for us, the difference being we are playing on the same day and same kick-off time this week (albeit about 10 miles away!).

Looks like Briscoe, Cam Smith and maybe 1 other on DR this week at a guess. Mullally maybe? Though we haven't seen him on DR yet this year.

Ah. Not seen that LEeds 19. That may scupper us for Singleton & Newman. Mullally was good for us previously. Waite Pullen?

I thought Cam Smith was outstanding last Sunday

Squad announced: https://www.featherstonerovers.co.uk/news/newman-returns-to-rovers-ranks-2EJdJ

No Singleton but Newman is back in our squad so presumably will drop out of the Leeds squad on Sunday barring injuries.
Strong-looking squad. If we decide not to go with a 2nd hooker on the bench, the line-up could be something like
Turner
Carey
Newman
Teteh
Briscoe
A Boas
W Boas
Wheeldon
King
C Smith
Walters
Day
Lockwood

subs
D Smith
Cooper
Davies
Ormondroyd

1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

Look, can we not discuss the Leeds squad, it only upsets our Heavy Woollen neighbours! ?

It should be upsetting you Rovers fans never mind Dewsbury/Batley fans. ?

4 minutes ago, Ainley Top said:

Why? I can't speak for everyone but I want to see the best 17 players every week, within budget, within the rules as they currently stand. If someone from the reserves or even an established Featherstone first teamer is dropped for someone on DR it's up to them to prove that they are a better option than the alternative. 

5 minutes ago, Ainley Top said:

Here we go again! O.K, I am weeping buckets because we have a DR arrangement with a Super League club. I wish no one did, but they do, so until the day it is abandoned in favour of a better system we will keep using it. Now, where's my tissues????

1 hour ago, Private Baldrick said:

Here we go again! O.K, I am weeping buckets because we have a DR arrangement with a Super League club. I wish no one did, but they do, so until the day it is abandoned in favour of a better system we will keep using it. Now, where's my tissues????

doubt you will get a better system for fev than you have for weekend, unless you can sqeeze maybe walker and watkins in too, only way the system will change is if everyone says NO,its getting daft now.

13 minutes ago, silverback said:

doubt you will get a better system for fev than you have for weekend, unless you can sqeeze maybe walker and watkins in too, only way the system will change is if everyone says NO,its getting daft now.

I agree, we use and abuse (legally!) the system that is on offer to ALL clubs. I have stated many a time I do not like DR, bring back the days of reserve teams and leagues, any day of the week. However, we are where we are and until it changes I believe we will use it, because if we didn't there would be a queue of clubs currently moralising about the evil DR that would be straight in to take advantage! 

3 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

I agree, we use and abuse (legally!) the system that is on offer to ALL clubs. I have stated many a time I do not like DR, bring back the days of reserve teams and leagues, any day of the week. However, we are where we are and until it changes I believe we will use it, because if we didn't there would be a queue of clubs currently moralising about the evil DR that would be straight in to take advantage! 

but they wouldent if you were the dr club and dident pick the cream,bring in some youngsters rather than seasoned Sl players, i dont think the DR thing will go away of its own choosing so who knows what will happen,but its doing damage thats for sure, tell you what thou its going to be one hell of a game for sure,

3 minutes ago, silverback said:

but they wouldent if you were the dr club and dident pick the cream,bring in some youngsters rather than seasoned Sl players, i dont think the DR thing will go away of its own choosing so who knows what will happen,but its doing damage thats for sure, tell you what thou its going to be one hell of a game for sure,

I don't think you can call any of the players we have had from Leeds as 'seasoned SL players'. Fringe squad members at best with maybe the exemption of Singleton. Hoping for a decent game and a good win, and looking forward if we do win to Mr Duffy's post match interview on RoversTV!

4 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

You've got to understand DR is all our fault if we stop everybody else will

Archived