Match Thread: Leigh v Featherstone Rovers v Sunday 17th February 2019

marklaspalmas

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the games i didn't expect us to win although the weakend squad was no help.I won't judge the coach or players until the end of the season because with such a change of players  the team was going to take time to find its level.One thing i would say is although Turner and Cameron Smith are good at Championship level we don't know if we will have them every week.We need a permanent full back to replace Ian,a number 9 who can control the ruck and attack and a stand off  required to offer more in attack.If riddy had been on our side today we would have won.We will finish where we deserve to in the league table but i think it will be with about 10-12 losses in the regular season.

5 hours ago, sweaty craiq said:

your 6/7 cant pass.

Whether or not there's some truth in that remains to be seen but it's a bit rich when you're using a SL 'dream team' half back (and I thought we were leaving ourselves open to criticism for taking the DR p*** lately)

Anyway your number 6 can't do anything but pass imo.

On 2/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, The Blues Ox said:

I have this down as a Fev win by about 10 points. They could bring in Thurston at half back and it wouldnt make much difference as their pack is not up to it and they will get rolled by Fev.

Bump. Not a bad guess. Take it their pack was a tad better than you thought. Not a bad guess at score though just got it wrong way round.

1 hour ago, sentoffagain2 said:

One of the games i didn't expect us to win although the weakend squad was no help.I won't judge the coach or players until the end of the season because with such a change of players  the team was going to take time to find its level.One thing i would say is although Turner and Cameron Smith are good at Championship level we don't know if we will have them every week.We need a permanent full back to replace Ian,a number 9 who can control the ruck and attack and a stand off  required to offer more in attack.If riddy had been on our side today we would have won.We will finish where we deserve to in the league table but i think it will be with about 10-12 losses in the regular season.

Interesting that you have some doubts about A.Boas and King. Not a criticism of the Boas brothers but if Ridy and Thacks are at halves are we played 3, won 3? 

2 minutes ago, Rarefrith said:

Interesting that you have some doubts about A.Boas and King. Not a criticism of the Boas brothers but if Ridy and Thacks are at halves are we played 3, won 3? 

If Fev lose the next three against Halifax Widnes and Sheffield which is not completely unlikely people will start to judge Carr. It’s the nature of the sport. 

Spot on Rarefrith,If we do indeed lose the next 3 , we shall be looking down not up , and could even end up in the end of season battle to stay up  .Not really been inspired with Carr at the moment., particularly with the way he is playing our best forward ie Davies. 

1 hour ago, haskey said:

Spot on Rarefrith,If we do indeed lose the next 3 , we shall be looking down not up , and could even end up in the end of season battle to stay up  .Not really been inspired with Carr at the moment., particularly with the way he is playing our best forward ie Davies. 

I think you will start with a win next week and all will be rosey again.

13 hours ago, fev4evatiggerneva said:

Some terrible goal line defence from us gifted them 3 trys, 2 penaltys for nothing early on in the 2nd half, led to leigh scoring 2 trys and effectively changed the game, we was in top end of 1st half and, thought we would have kicked on and won the game, but lacked fire power on the bench, due to the drop outs.

True, but remember, your first two tries came from back-to-back penalties, in the first half, when the penalty count was 6-7/1 up to just before half time. I'm not disputing the penalties you were awarded, more the fact that we had so few in the first half. Equally, I'm baffled as to why we started the second half with 4/5 successive penalties, and we could suddenly do no wrong, in the eyes of the ref! Not sure how accurate the figures are, but Leigh reported a penalty count of 11-8 in your favour, with most of yours coming in the first half and most of ours in the second half! Weird!!

10 hours ago, Rarefrith said:

If Fev lose the next three against Halifax Widnes and Sheffield which is not completely unlikely people will start to judge Carr. It’s the nature of the sport. 

Surely only the most panicky of supporters could be sharpening the knives for our new coach so early?

Daryl Powell became our coach in September 2008 and about two months into his first full season in 2009 we shipped 50+ at home to Whitehaven. 

Carr had no pre-season, half his squad only arrived in the last month and he has already got them playing with a good deal of spirit.

I thought that the first Fev try was a knock on, and the yellow could easily have been a red. Though, I admit that could be my Leigh tinted specs given how far I was away from that particular tackle.

That said, our second try was a fluke, and your lead should've been a lot more comfortable at half time. Second half, we played a lot better and hardly made any errors. This was helped by the fact that the ref only seemed capable of holding his arm towards the South Stand for penalties all game.

Overall, I still see Fev finishing the season above Leigh. I still think our main target is to avoid relegation, and we're using DR to help us survive. The two wins we have are bonuses in relation to expectations. As for Fev, obviously difficult for me to judge based on one game, but thought one of your halves had an great short kicking game, while the other has a great step. But I think the better teams will wise up to his step quicker than we did yesterday and he'll have to show what else he has to his game.

Lastly, what are the rules now regarding how much of the clock is eaten up by a conversion? Was expecting to see a bit more urgency over your last one.

To me Jack Smith is one of the poorest referees I have ever seen. He is very erratic in what he awards and what he doesn't award. Fev have had him recently in a few big games and I can only remember us winning one of the games he has officiated in and that was a 80-4 victory over Rochdale. So the moral is that you can beat a poor ref if you apply yourself to it. Fevs defence when opposing teams are in our 20 is abysmal at times. We threw away some chances in first half and we could have put the game to bed. Having said that Leigh came out much quicker in the second half and from the 44th minute the writing was firmly on the wall. It was unfortunate that Davies had to pull out and Carey at the last minute and Leeds recalling Smith at short notice caused a late reshuffle and Lockwood was playing though he was ill. We missed Davies a lot he always spurs on the team. Hopefully he might be back next week with the likes of Hardcastle and we should be a lot stronger.

15 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Just seen the highlights, how many games ban is Day looking at for his Baptista Bomb? 

It happened right in front of us and I struggled to believe what I saw. I must admit it seemed a clear 'red' but thought it best to see it again. (which I've not done yet) My instant reaction was that it would be a straight red, but perhaps the ref and t/j couldn't believe what they saw, either! I don't know what sort of reputation Day has, if indeed any, but I'm willing to bet that someone like say Jamie Acton would have picked up a red for that one.

1 minute ago, AlanE said:

It happened right in front of us and I struggled to believe what I saw. I must admit it seemed a clear 'red' but thought it best to see it again. (which I've not done yet) My instant reaction was that it would be a straight red, but perhaps the ref and t/j couldn't believe what they saw, either! I don't know what sort of reputation Day has, if indeed any, but I'm willing to bet that someone like say Jamie Acton would have picked up a red for that one.

He is one of our close season signings from one of our small feeder clubs (Batley) so I am not too sure on his disciplinary record. Surprised myself it wasn't a red so we will have to wait and see.

7 hours ago, haskey said:

Davies will get more game time if he stops jumping the line and missing tackles, its debatable if hes our best forward or not

2 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Just seen the highlights, how many games ban is Day looking at for his Baptista Bomb? 

I think it will be classed as a dangerous throw so a ban looks likely. In mitigation, he ended up on top of the Leigh player who seemed to try to burrow underneath him and I think Day's intention was just to disengage, but the angle that he grabbed him from just flipped him over 180 degrees. It's not like he drove him headfirst into the ground though and I don't think he has a bad disciplinary record so hopefully he won't get too harshly dealt with.

There were 2 or 3 instances in the game where players tried to keep moving forward after the ref had called held, there was one in the 2nd half where we were penalised, we had all heard the ref call held and you knew straight away it was going to be a penalty, but it must be difficult not to instinctively continue the tackle when the ball carrier still seems to be trying to move forward. Seems very rare that that is penalised against the attacking team, but we need to be smarter.

Fevs first try was iffy to say the least. On the highlights it looked like he'd dropped the ball just before the line. So maybe Jack Smith was giving us one back from the Bradford game? The yellow card too could have been red. However it will still be viewed no doubt with the disciplinary. For Leigh's first try two or three chasing players looked offside. But with that second half showing and being starved of the ball Leigh looked the sharper team.  They shouldn't be allowed to be DR with St Helens????????

15 minutes ago, Phil Loxton said:

Fevs first try was iffy to say the least. On the highlights it looked like he'd dropped the ball just before the line. So maybe Jack Smith was giving us one back from the Bradford game? The yellow card too could have been red. However it will still be viewed no doubt with the disciplinary. For Leigh's first try two or three chasing players looked offside. But with that second half showing and being starved of the ball Leigh looked the sharper team.  They shouldn't be allowed to be DR with St Helens????????

Smith is a shocker, he played a significant role in our relegation from SL and makes no mistake by his actions with the whistle of his hate for all things Leyth. Someone said someone gave him a right earful at HT

Archived