WCC v All Stars Game

Cdd

I’m not against the all stars fixture as such, but why do the NRL and Aussie media make such a big deal of it compared to the WCC or world club series.

Last years world club challenge was at the same stadium as this years all star fixture and actually got a bigger crowd with far less promotion and attention from the NRL and media.

2014 was a similar story when the roosters got over 30,000 on for a game against Wigan, yet it was mentioned time and time again how little promotion it had received and how much bigger it could have been had it received the attention it deserved. A representative in marketing from south’s actually said he though they could have filled ANZ for a world club challenge given the right resources.

Wigans famous win in Brisbane in 1994 also had over 50,000 in attendance. It’s a myth that the Aussie fans don’t care about this fixture. They receive higher attendances than most NRL games yet don’t get given the attention they deserve. 

So my question would be, could the WCC or world club series be the perfect way to start the season in Australia if it was given the attention it deserves? 

Would love to see the likes of Wigan, Saints, Leeds, Hull and Warrington (our 5 best supported clubs) all go to Australia pre season. Make a huge deal out of it with multiple fixtures in Melbourne, Perth, New Zealand, Brisbane, PNG etc. With the whole tour culminating with the world club challenge. 

17 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Get over it. We all know the Australians are insular so would rather focus on the All Stars. That’s going to be hard to change. And to be frank, the average Australian couldn’t care less about English rugby teams 

So are using an international match between two indigenous teams to describe one of the nations as insular?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

I thought the Indigenous All Stars and Maori game was great this morning and a wonderful concept to celebrate what these two communities contribute to our game.

I agree that it would be great to see the WCC get more attention but not particularly at the expense of this concept... there is plenty of room for both.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Hooray! One game proves that they aren’t insular despite, more often than not, proving otherwise. Please tell me how they aren’t?

Just pointing out the logical error in your post.

I suspect you didn't know the All Stars were playing the Maori but I am sure you will claim you did.

They kicked off at 9.21 for a game scheduled to start at 9.00am so no wonder it ran out... the Aussie games are always late to kick off.

Loved the game, loved the concept. Its important for the Aborigines to be represented.   What a backline they had too. Some amazing players.   

I can dream of a England tour to OZ, where they play the Indigenous 13, and PNG before they play a 3 test series v OZ. Won't happen but its a nice dream. 

I would like to see both the WCC and the ALL Stars Game respected. 

3 hours ago, DavidM said:

I was enjoying that on record until it ran out so that was good

So was I. It happened a lot with Premier and other channels when a recorded game overran and was chopped but I thought it wasn't supposed to happen with Sky. Unless its Rugby League and a morning show.

Similar to a lot of their programs in PNG, Fiji etc the All Stars game is a partnership with government, about more than the game. The federal government puts hundreds of thousands of dollars into the indigenous programs the NRL delivers, with the all stars being the big promotional vehicle. So yes, of course they promote it. 

14 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Hooray! One game proves that they aren’t insular despite, more often than not, proving otherwise. Please tell me how they aren’t?

Where do you think all the money keeping NZ afloat comes from?

The rise of the Tongan, Fijian and Papua New Guinean teams are all coming off the back of Australia. 

Look into NRL Asia.

Did you know the NRL pays the wage of an RLIF department?

new rise.jpg

2 hours ago, Pulga said:

The rise of the Tongan, Fijian and Papua New Guinean teams are all coming off the back of Australia. 

Look into NRL Asia.

Which department?  If it’s the catering department then I can understand that.

3 hours ago, Pulga said:

Look into NRL Asia.

Your last point is wrong.

10 hours ago, bird said:

So was I. It happened a lot with Premier and other channels when a recorded game overran and was chopped but I thought it wasn't supposed to happen with Sky. Unless its Rugby League and a morning show.

Indeed ,  It isnt supposed to happen on Sky . They made a big play of this when people complained about ITV cutting off live boxing when it overran 

On 2/16/2019 at 7:25 PM, Exiled Wiganer said:

Your last point is wrong.

They pay the wage of a full time staff member that helps run the  international game and at least a part time secretary.

new rise.jpg

On 2/16/2019 at 3:17 AM, ghost crayfish said:

Similar to a lot of their programs in PNG, Fiji etc the All Stars game is a partnership with government, about more than the game. The federal government puts hundreds of thousands of dollars into the indigenous programs the NRL delivers, with the all stars being the big promotional vehicle. So yes, of course they promote it. 

Do aborigines have their own reservations?  The whole concept seems condescending from the outside, racist even. What do Australians think?

27 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Do aborigines have their own reservations?  The whole concept seems condescending from the outside, racist even. What do Australians think?

They have areas in the country that they own and control, not reservations but Aboriginal lands.

They do not have to live there but if they want to live as their Ancestors did they can.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

Archived