British/Irish Dialects

My daughter sent me this link (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html) to see where my dialect comes from. To be fair, I'm happy with my results. Definitely a Wiltshire/West Country boy, who's "map" seems to be exclusively Cider-making country. ? 

_20190216_130403.JPG

Will anyone on here be surprised by their results? 

2014 Challenged Cup Winner

38 minutes ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

My daughter sent me this link (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html) to see where my dialect comes from. To be fair, I'm happy with my results. Definitely a Wiltshire/West Country boy, who's "map" seems to be exclusively Cider-making country. ? 

_20190216_130403.JPG

Turned out Im NW Manchester (Salford), thanks , I always knew that.

26 minutes ago, Shadow said:

You have Ladies that Lunch, not Ladies that Dinner.

And it's Sunday Lunch, not Sunday Dinner

image.jpeg.980fa485ddc11d9d5c61d20e234e19a5.jpeg

So when you sit down at 1pm on Christmas Day, are you having your Christmas Lunch then? ??

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

Little Nook Cottage - 2-bed self-catering cottage in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

Book now via airbnb

Said I was Staffordshire rather than Derbyshire but pretty close.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

I'm 65 and my accent has clearly changed. My map featured North Manchester and spread east for Oldham, but only as far as Wigan westwards. It also showed a band eastwards as far as Whitby, with a gentle nod to the Northumberland borders (a good few Whitby words betray a Norse heritage). After about 20 years in Moston/Blackley, I spent the next 20 in Whitby, so the map pinged me quite well. However, it also showed a lot of Lancashire and Cumberland coastal influence (about Blackpool to Seascale). I have no idea where that comes from.

It failed to detect any influence from Rethymno. Disappointing.?

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society

Founder (and, so far, only) member.

2 hours ago, Shadow said:

And it's Breakfast, Lunch, DInner.

tumblr_ltkzqlSVmc1qeg7t4o1_500.png

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

When I did the extended version it had me very close.

I didn't realise 'chewy' was such a local thing. It was also interesting to see that although I would now call it tag, people in my area prefer to use tick. I'd completely forgotten that that's what we'd have called it as kids. 

3 hours ago, Maximus Decimus said:

When I did the extended version it had me very close.

I didn't realise 'chewy' was such a local thing. It was also interesting to see that although I would now call it tag, people in my area prefer to use tick. I'd completely forgotten that that's what we'd have called it as kids. 

I'm with you on this. I didn't realise people had such daft words for obvious things! 

I was a bit disappointed with the omission of the word "mither" though. That would surely place everyone in the north west? 

PS: It's a barm. There's no cake involved. Silly Yorkshire folk.

7 hours ago, Wiltshire Rhino said:

_20190216_130403.JPG

Yes, me.  I'm a Lancashire lass but my results suggested I could be from Lancashire AND Yorkshire, which is pretty scary!

33 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

I'm with you on this. I didn't realise people had such daft words for obvious things! 

I was a bit disappointed with the omission of the word "mither" though. That would surely place everyone in the north west? 

PS: It's a barm. There's no cake involved. Silly Yorkshire folk.

Barmy.  Lancashire.  Coincidence?

??

Archived