Irish Rugby League

Does anyone know if there is any work being done to grow the game in Blackpool and has there been any achievements?

Giants have signed a lad from Longhorns for their Academy for this year, he came over for a trial, paid all the fares etc himself and was taken in by members of the HGSA, did enough to earn himself a contract for this year, played in a semi final, represented Ireland in the U19's tournament in Serbia and also earned a call up to the Full international side, playing in the European championship and WC qualifying games.

His Story is a good one, he only started playing RL 2 years ago, there is a lot of untapped talent over there, it just needs clubs to take a chance on them.

And he's a cracking young lad!

Good interview with him here

12 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Does anyone know if there is any work being done to grow the game in Blackpool and has there been any achievements?

There's that well known club, the Blackpool Trolls, whose main achievement is getting a third of the way to the 100 posts needed...

1 hour ago, meast said:

Giants have signed a lad from Longhorns for their Academy for this year, he came over for a trial, paid all the fares etc himself and was taken in by members of the HGSA, did enough to earn himself a contract for this year, played in a semi final, represented Ireland in the U19's tournament in Serbia and also earned a call up to the Full international side, playing in the European championship and WC qualifying games.

His Story is a good one, he only started playing RL 2 years ago, there is a lot of untapped talent over there, it just needs clubs to take a chance on them.

He's an intelligent young man

That was a refreshing interview, with both interviewer and interviewee coming across really well.

The interviewer seemed to have a positive view on Rugby League and references to other sports were made in relation to cross-fertilisation of sporting skills rather than the usual black and white comparisons of individual sports. The overall impression I get is that there is much potential for RL in Ireland, not least because of the readiness of RL clubs/personnel to welcome players from other sports.

2 hours ago, meast said:

A cracking interview that.

6 hours ago, meast said:

This is fantastic to see, I don't know how I missed it when it came out. What an impressive young lad. I've just had an extremely Irish moment watching that interview where I realised we played for the same GAA club and therefore probably went to the same school (with about 15 years in the difference).

4 hours ago, meast said:

He's funny as well, when he first came over, he was taken under our wing and taken to away games and joined in all the songs etc.

Great lad

Sounds like he's being looked after well, fair play to you. I really hope he makes it.

9 hours ago, meast said:

He's funny as well, when he first came over, he was taken under our wing and taken to away games and joined in all the songs etc.

Great lad

Martin, I hope he wasn't introduced to too much training down at the Irish League Club, or The Sportsman. ?

8 hours ago, langpark said:

Not sure what's happening in Ireland, but the Longhorns seem to be steadily improving, they almost won their Round 1 Challenge Cup match this year against Lock Lane, losing 16-10, away from home of course.

I saw that game. Talked to one of the Longhorns officials before the match. He said, in terms of playing standards, Longhorns and Galway Tribesmen are way ahead of the other teams.

14 hours ago, damp squib said:

This is fantastic to see, I don't know how I missed it when it came out. What an impressive young lad. I've just had an extremely Irish moment watching that interview where I realised we played for the same GAA club and therefore probably went to the same school (with about 15 years in the difference).

Sounds like he's being looked after well, fair play to you. I really hope he makes it.

He's worked extremely hard to get where he is, he has a good support network back home with friend and family, some of whom came over to watch a few of the academy games.

If he doesn't make it, it's certainly not through the lack of trying on his part

My mates took him in, offered their spare room and have him a free reign to come and go as he pleased etc

2 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I would presume all the Super League clubs would have scouts over there looking at young players, or i would hope so.

Ireland is a vast untapped market for Rugby League. 

There isn’t really any young players. This is a fluke that he even found the sport. How did they get kids playing the sport in Newcastle? That needs to be done. There’s only one properly pro sport in Ireland. Rugby Union. Footballs semi pro and GAA is amateur. There’s space for more. Need to strike when the iron is hot Gaelic is on the down and no one follows domestic soccer.

54 minutes ago, Blackpool rl said:

There isn’t really any young players. This is a fluke that he even found the sport. How did they get kids playing the sport in Newcastle? That needs to be done. There’s only one properly pro sport in Ireland. Rugby Union. Footballs semi pro and GAA is amateur. There’s space for more. Need to strike when the iron is hot Gaelic is on the down and no one follows domestic soccer.

I should have phrased that better and meant some young union players who might be better suited to playing Rugby League than union, which I'm are out there and possibly some might relish the opportunity to come to England and trial at a Rugby League club.

1 hour ago, Blackpool rl said:

On Saturday you didn't know anything about Irish RL and were seeking information. Now, you have an in depth knowledge of the Irish sporting landscape.

Amazing turnaround.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

It really isn't.

Cricket is professional now

4 minutes ago, damp squib said:

It really isn't.

Average attendances falling 31% in Gaelic. Im not a fan of Gaelic but some of my friends that play and watch hurling and football say it’s getting boring with dull tactics and games and Dublin’s dominance.

27 minutes ago, Dunbar said:

On Saturday you didn't know anything about Irish RL and were seeking information. Now, you have an in depth knowledge of the Irish sporting landscape.

Amazing turnaround.

Wow you got me. Your so smart. I am of course a troll that doesn’t watch rl and comes on to forums and makes threads about Irish RUGBY LEAGUE to troll you all.

Archived