World 9s - Invites Sent

According to Peter Beattie (Chair of the ARLC) on Twitter...

“RLIF approved the selection of the 12 men’s teams & 4 women’s teams to participate in the RLIF Downer Rugby League World Cup 9’s to be held in Sydney on 18/19 October. Those nations will now be invited to participate & will be announced once positive responses are received #nrl”

-

Not sure in the need of the NRL hashtag at the end.

Personally I would tell them to stuff it where the sun doesn't shine (with a little help from John Hopoate) after the way they mess everyone else about, but I doubt if they would be too bothered if we turned up or not?

1 hour ago, welshmagpie said:

According to Peter Beattie (Chair of the ARLC) on Twitter...

“RLIF approved the selection of the 12 men’s teams & 4 women’s teams to participate in the RLIF Downer Rugby League World Cup 9’s to be held in Sydney on 18/19 October. Those nations will now be invited to participate & will be announced once positive responses are received #nrl”

-

Not sure in the need of the NRL hashtag at the end.

If the NRL is at the forefront, you can bet there’ll be makeshift teams made up of Sydney residents representing their heritage. And then they’ll use that to show they care about international development

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Do we know who the 12 might be?

I propose:

Australia

Indigenous Australia 

New Zealand Kiwis

New Zealand Maoris

New Zealand Maori Kiwis

Tonga

Samoa

Fiji

PNG

Great Britain

Brexiteer Great Britain

Remoaner Great Britain

There’s space for Heritage Italy, Heritage Greece and Heritage Ireland as well

Serious prediction:

England

Wales

France

Australia

New Zealand

Indigenous Aus/Scotland

Heritage Italy

Heritage Lebanon

Heritage Tonga

Heritage Samoa

Heritage Fiji

PNG

Double points if they roll England, Wales, Scotland into GB and invite any of Heritage Malta/Heritage Greece/Niue/Heritage Hungary/Heritage Poland in their place.

3 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

If the NRL is at the forefront, you can bet there’ll be makeshift teams made up of Sydney residents representing their heritage. And then they’ll use that to show they care about international development

Exactly right, it will be Lebanon, Greece, Italy, Serbia etc.. all with 100% Australian players

6 hours ago, Chamey said:

Serious prediction:

England

Wales

France

Australia

New Zealand

Indigenous Aus/Scotland

Heritage Italy

Heritage Lebanon

Heritage Tonga

Heritage Samoa

Heritage Fiji

PNG

Double points if they roll England, Wales, Scotland into GB and invite any of Heritage Malta/Heritage Greece/Niue/Heritage Hungary/Heritage Poland in their place.

I really can't see any value in having heritage teams from, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Lebanon, Italy, Ireland in this tournament.

9 hours ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

This is a worry for me. I am ok with heritage players, as long as the setup is the genuine setup from that nation, not the Sydney branch of the Italy or Ireland team.

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

I really can't see any value in having heritage teams from, Fiji, Samoa, Tonga, Lebanon, Italy, Ireland in this tournament.

Excluding Fiji, Samoa and Tonga from a World 9s tournament would make no sense whatsoever from a strategic POV.

There’s eight nations that select themselves: England, France, Australia, New Zealand, PNG, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji.

It’ll be interesting to see if they add any indigenous sides to Lebanon, Cook  Islands, Italy, Ireland, Wales et al.

14 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Excluding Fiji, Samoa and Tonga from a World 9s tournament would make no sense whatsoever from a strategic POV.

There’s eight nations that select themselves: England, France, Australia, New Zealand, PNG, Tonga, Samoa and Fiji.

It’ll be interesting to see if they add any indigenous sides to Lebanon, Cook  Islands, Italy, Ireland, Wales et al.

Explain to me the benefits to Rugby League in the above countries if them teams are made up of heritage players?.

Now if the tournaments rules say you must a a certain amount of players who play in their local competitions i can see the benefits in that, but teams loaded up with heritage players from the NRL or NSW or Queensland cup sides i see no benefit for Rugby League in them countries

3 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Explain to me the benefits to Rugby League in the above countries if them teams are made up of heritage players?.

Now if the tournaments rules say you must a a certain amount of players who play in their local competitions i can see the benefits in that, but teams loaded up with heritage players from the NRL or NSW or Queensland cup sides i see no benefit for Rugby League in them countries

Have you not noticed the NRL’s Pacific strategy, the Oceania Cup, the Fiji NSW team plans etc?

The non-Pacific nations like Italy and Lebanon etc are a different kettle of fish and the benefits to those countries are minimal.

However, if Lebanon did really well - and they were a whisker from making the 2017 WC semis - it might boost the game domestically. 

Archived