Luther Burrell (Merged Threads)

In talks with Warrington as a replacement for Atkins.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-forgotten-17-stone-england-centre-weighing-up-a-super-league-switch

Can't say that I'm thrilled at the prospect.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Didnt realise he was formerly with the Giants.

Looks a bit of a short term risk to me, given he's now 31 years of age

Agreed. Even if he turns out to be a natural, he won't be around for very long.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

11 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Do Warrington use the same accountant as Wigan? ?

Assuming that he does sign - and I really hope he's just playing for a better RU contract like Eastmond did - then I hope he would be on less money than Atkins.

"I'm a traditionalist and I don"t think you'd ever see me coaching an Australian national side!"  Lee Radford, RLW March 2016

Proud to be a member of the TRL woke claque

Too much risk IMO.   Rather pay a big transfer fee and allocate those wages to someone proven.   We are lucky enough to be able to afford it.

Maybe it’s just an effort to appeal to the RU fan stronghold around East and Mid-Cheshire.    Winning a trophy would work better! 

Replacing a 33 year-old with a 31 year-old who hasn’t played Rugby League for at least fifteen/sixteen years stinks of nothing more than a publicity stunt to try and get some interest in the club from RU fans and nothing more. 

Surely his potential wage would be better spent upgrading contracts or emerging young players or going towards the signing of a proven Rugby League centre. 

How does the exemption rule for the cap work again? 

If he’s cheap value in cap terms, maybe it’s not such a risk.   We can sign a very good centre and let Burrell prove himself as a back-up.

The interest it generates in the RU community may pay off, but no union fans I work with (and that’s a lot) would be interested.   Only at a discounted entry price maybe.   I’m 100% certain they enjoy league when they see it but they won’t admit it and there’s an underlying sense of perceived status that prevents them acknowledging their enjoyment of it.

This story originated from a former LPL Journalist Neil Fissler...

Northampon fans seem to think Catalans rather than Warrington.

When the pinch comes the common people will turn out to be more intelligent than the clever ones. I certainly hope so.

George Orwell

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

1 hour ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Replacing a 33 year-old with a 31 year-old who hasn’t played Rugby League for at least fifteen/sixteen years stinks of nothing more than a publicity stunt to try and get some interest in the club from RU fans and nothing more. 

Surely his potential wage would be better spent upgrading contracts or emerging young players or going towards the signing of a proven Rugby League centre. 

Other explanations of the article are available.

47 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Talking of onion players coming back to league, Toronto have been linked with Sonny Bill Williams, Israel Folau, Ben Te’o and Karmichael Hunt.

League Weekly quotes David Argyle as saying they will sign “one of the top five rugby players in the world” by the end of the year.

Folau’s just signed a new contract with ARU

1 hour ago, Wolford6 said:

There are a good few players in Welsh RU who are younger and would give better value for money. Same must be the case in England.

The problem is you need those players to want to come over. There may be some out there but it is unlikely that they tick all the boxes of wanting to come, being able to resist the financial lure of international union and being good enough. Just look at people's reaction to a player who has played league before and been capped in union. What would the reaction be for an uncapped player who has never played the game and in all likelihood is coming because he won't make it for his country?

Archived