Luther Burrell (Merged Threads)

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Talking of onion players coming back to league, Toronto have been linked with Sonny Bill Williams, Israel Folau, Ben Te’o and Karmichael Hunt.

League Weekly quotes David Argyle as saying they will sign “one of the top five rugby players in the world” by the end of the year.

Folau's just signed a £1m+/yr four year contact in October, so no chance of him moving.

Ben Te'o is OOC after the Union World Cup, and has several French sides chasing him, RL experience, definitely a possible. Not a top 5 player though.

SBW also OOC, and fits all criteria.

Hunt also OOC, not top 5.

SBW would be my bet.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, latchford albion said:

In talks with Warrington as a replacement for Atkins.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/the-forgotten-17-stone-england-centre-weighing-up-a-super-league-switch

Can't say that I'm thrilled at the prospect.

I would suggest the the money they would pay him in wages would be better spent on even more junior development

2 hours ago, DoubleD said:

So did Dwayne Chambers.................the effect soon wears off

It's not quite the same though is it. A guy who had never played before vs a guy who could at one time have made a genuine claim to be the best forward in the world, if not the best player full stop.

He might not be what he was, but he would still have a lot to offer imo. And even if he turned out to be bang average, his name alone would be great publicity and would be a big statement of intent.

4 hours ago, M j M said:

I've genuinely never heard of this bloke.

Is Atkins retiring?

He was the guy dropped by Stuart Lancaster for Burgess ahead of the RUWC2015.

Lancaster developed him at Leeds Carnegie, good, strong centre - but he is neither a ball-playing, handling centre a la Mike Catt nor a crash-ball merchant. A good all-rounder, but probably not an RU international due to that. 

6 hours ago, Chamey said:

Folau's just signed a £1m+/yr four year contact in October, so no chance of him moving.

Ben Te'o is OOC after the Union World Cup, and has several French sides chasing him, RL experience, definitely a possible. Not a top 5 player though.

SBW also OOC, and fits all criteria.

Hunt also OOC, not top 5.

SBW would be my bet.

Apart from maybe Te'o the rest are way, way past their best and I can't see any RL club splashing big money. In the case of SBW they may do but it will be more of a marketing and sponsorship coup as much as anything.

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Burrell would be 100% exempt in year 1, 50% in year 2

9 hours ago, Man of Kent said:

Talking of onion players coming back to league, Toronto have been linked with Sonny Bill Williams, Israel Folau, Ben Te’o and Karmichael Hunt.

League Weekly quotes David Argyle as saying they will sign “one of the top five rugby players in the world” by the end of the year.

That would be brilliant for Super League 2020. The marquee player rule has seen some star players come to Super League. 

Has anyone used the Union/other sports rule and would these players also qualify for the salary cap exemption?

No top RU players will sign for RL unless they are past it. We can't match the salaries. Young players will give it a go, knowing that they have time to go back if it doesn't work out. They might also fancy a chance to display some adventure that's stifled out in regional rugby.

There's one or two here worth looking at:

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/22-best-young-welsh-rugby-15585441

I also really rate  Jordan Williams, Rhodri Williams, Matthew Morgan and Michael Le Bourgeois

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

1 hour ago, Man of Kent said:

Story doesn’t mention him but if Farrell is coming back it would surely be Shaun Edwards’ big signing for Wigan 

Not in a million years - Owen Farrell is literally at the pinnacle of his Union international career. He's also not even 2 years in to a five year contract worth over £4 million, that's before you even consider the extremely lucrative sponsorship deals he has. Also, and being slightly pedantic I know, but Farrell wouldn't be coming 'back' - he didn't play league after he was about 12 years old.

14 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Didnt realise he was formerly with the Giants.

Looks a bit of a short term risk to me, given he's now 31 years of age

Now 31, lol 

It's a good job the Roosters pinned faith on a 32 year-old.

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

17 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Not in a million years - Owen Farrell is literally at the pinnacle of his Union international career. He's also not even 2 years in to a five year contract worth over £4 million, that's before you even consider the extremely lucrative sponsorship deals he has. Also, and being slightly pedantic I know, but Farrell wouldn't be coming 'back' - he didn't play league after he was about 12 years old.

Agreed . WC coming up , arguably next Lions captain . Biggest club side , he’s got everything he could want there and PR and exposure in union we can only dream of

40 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Totally agree that he won’t be coming to league as I think he could potentially break all records for England and go down as a great in RU. I did think though he was still travelling up to play for St Pats right up until he was 16. 

1 hour ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Farrell Jr. won the U16 National Cup final with Wigan St Pats. I completely agree it's very unlikely, but who knows?

36 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Totally agree that he won’t be coming to league as I think he could potentially break all records for England and go down as a great in RU. I did think though he was still travelling up to play for St Pats right up until he was 16

You may be right on that - I'm just tying his age in with starting to play union based on when I know he moved down south, after Andy signed for Saracens. 

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yep I stand corrected on that - I assumed he stopped playing for Pats when he moved down south. 

He popped back to Wigan regularly to play league. Playing the wrong sport, really.  

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-6650061/The-town-forged-Farrells-Rise-father-son-ahead-Ireland-England-Six-Nations-clash.html

10 minutes ago, absentee thoughtlord said:

*If* Wales win the Union World Cup this autumn then I fully expect one or two of the squad to get out of the car with Shaun Edwards at Wigan.

So you expect Shaun to drive alone then. :biggrin:

Archived