Luther Burrell (Merged Threads)

Just now, ELBOWSEYE said:

He looks a big unit and he has been brought up on league so not that big of a gamble. 

I wonder if he will be used as a back-row and centre utility. I see Union centres like him more as 2nd rowers in RL, and maybe this is a sign that Currie is still a risk, Westwood is older, as are Atkins and Goodwin. 

Be interesting to see how he goes, haven't seen anywhere near enough of him recently to know whether it is a good signing or not.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd have thought there'd have been a thread about this already...

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just now, ELBOWSEYE said:

He looks a big unit and he has been brought up on league so not that big of a gamble. 

We know of plenty that have had their skill set blunted out of them by a spell in the dark side and he’s been there longer than most. 

Ill be a fascinated observer but it wouldn’t surprise if he struggled. Not in attack but defensively. If I was the opposition, I would be throwing a lot of shape down his side. Centre is a hard position in RL to master 

no wonder we don't get any where, one min we are watching a 30 something brett morris (league forever union never) make a mockery of our champions the next min we are signing a 30 something un proven ,loafing, lumbering lump from ru in to the sl

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

2 minutes ago, Dave T said:

I wonder if he will be used as a back-row and centre utility. I see Union centres like him more as 2nd rowers in RL, and maybe this is a sign that Currie is still a risk, Westwood is older, as are Atkins and Goodwin. 

Be interesting to see how he goes, haven't seen anywhere near enough of him recently to know whether it is a good signing or not.

Could be, hadn’t thought of that. An easier transition in my opinion. They need to decide what they do with Toby King. I think he’s a real talent and hope he doesn’t get pushed out. I’m not sure Wire know what his best position is

IF he can have some kind of impact hopefully it could encourage others to follow suite like Owen Farrell who would be an ideal replacement for SOL when he retires and to see whether he can live up to the legacy of his father at Wigan.. Not to forget others like Kyle Eastmond, Ben Te'o, Cooper Vuna, Chris Ashton and for ambitious clubs Radradra, SBW, Folau or even someone like George Ford but I think priorities should be on keeping talented youngsters from leaving in the first place.

8 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

Could be, hadn’t thought of that. An easier transition in my opinion. They need to decide what they do with Toby King. I think he’s a real talent and hope he doesn’t get pushed out. I’m not sure Wire know what his best position is

I'm not King's biggest fan, but I thought he looked excellent in the back row vs Leeds.

2 hours ago, longboard said:

Today's not very interesting fact. Luther and Toby went to the same high school - both part of the legendary Huddersfield Rugby/RU player factory... ? 

The same school as me. All Saints' High School was lucky to have a number of teachers who were heavily involved in Junior RL locally.

Andy Raleigh is another alumnus.

Minä rakastan rugbyliigaa!

He is big and strong and pretty fast & skillful with it. Add to this the fact he has played League before and I could see him being a success.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

"its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog".

It all depends on whether he's coming to play, or just to collect his wages.

We went looking for them instead of growing our own. I don't mind them signing great players from other sports as long as we don't neglect to feed and nurture the grass roots too.

There will be a few more come over with Edwards, he will be scouting through to the RUWC and then well see. 

With the marquee players allowed now and the RU allowance on players switching codes into SL I suspect a handful of clubs may be tempted to get players as much to get more bums on seats and a higher profile than anything else.

If they attract extra people through the gates they may well pay for themselves and a competitive England RL side may be something some of them want a go at for the 2021 RLWC as well.

How many games did he play for Sale?   Maybe the idea is to generate a bit of interest in the club from their fans once the Union season finishes.   Expensive experiment I would have thought if that were the case.   I guess his perfect position would be second row.

Seems he is a mate of Jermaine McG, I think personally I would have pushed the boat out to sign him instead though! ?

Archived