Luther Burrell (Merged Threads)

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will be interesting to see how he goes. Hopefully he makes a success of the switch. Never really seen that much of him, but what I have seen he looks quick and strong, if nothing else.

does anyone know why he went to union? Did Hudds cut him? Or Union lure him? 

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

54 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

How many games did he play for Sale?   Maybe the idea is to generate a bit of interest in the club from their fans once the Union season finishes.   Expensive experiment I would have thought if that were the case.   I guess his perfect position would be second row.

Seems he is a mate of Jermaine McG, I think personally I would have pushed the boat out to sign him instead though! ?

Not many games for Sale, which some would say, shows good judgement on his part.

2 hours ago, Dave T said:

I'm not King's biggest fan, but I thought he looked excellent in the back row vs Leeds.

Toby King was superb in the 2nd half of last season and justifiably replaced Atkins in that centre role. I think he's a cracking player.

On 2/18/2019 at 9:40 PM, Leeds Wire said:

Never heard of Luther Burrell. 

I have heard of Toby King. 

5 hours ago, longboard said:

Today's not very interesting fact. Luther and Toby went to the same high school - both part of the legendary Huddersfield Rugby/RU player factory... ? 

Not to mention George King & the legendary, Dennis, "The Gentleman", Fitzpatrick.

1 minute ago, longboard said:

Not to mention George King & the legendary, Dennis, "The Gentleman", Dennis Fitzpatrick.

I'd love to be on your quiz team*

I'm ok with history, geography and nature, utterly hopeless at films and TV.  I can make it over to Hudds if you need a ringer :yes:

Not sure many union players would have a sufficient wow factor  to generate enough of a crowd boost to pay big wages.  Irrespective of salary cap restraints I can't imagine many union players who would justify a salary circa 250000 like they could get in union.

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

26 minutes ago, Leeds Wire said:

I'd love to be on your quiz team*

I'm ok with history, geography and nature, utterly hopeless at films and TV.  I can make it over to Hudds if you need a ringer :yes:

I've got the first three subject areas covered better than most. Films and TV are not my strong points. Do you have any other areas of strength?

On 2/17/2019 at 9:10 PM, Wolford6 said:

There are a good few players in Welsh RU who are younger and would give better value for money. Same must be the case in England.

Ultimately there are a finite number of people who can put an England RU jersey on.  So a number of players are going to be disappointed. To what extent can the RFU keep spending money to keep these players on the go?

It's quite plausible that SL clubs might want pay for such players. But how much money do these clubs actually have?  And how good actually are these players?

23 minutes ago, longboard said:

I've got the first three subject areas covered better than most. Films and TV are not my strong points. Do you have any other areas of strength?

Not really. I know RL, cricket and squash but then squash isn't exactly a pub quiz regular. It's annoying when you know about sport but then all the pub quiz questions are about cars or horses racing each other round and round in circles. That's obviously not sport if you're basically sitting down and it's not actually you who is doing the sport bit.
Anyway....

Maybe I could be in your squad of 19 announced on the Thursday, but politely dropped when the final 17 is announced; unless someone pulls out with a late memory loss injury?

To be honest, you'd be better using someone who knows about films and stuff, because they always come up in pub quizzes.  Humph.

1 minute ago, Leeds Wire said:

Not really. I know RL, cricket and squash but then squash isn't exactly a pub quiz regular. It's annoying when you know about sport but then all the questions are about cars or horses racing each other round and round in circles. That's obviously not sport.
Anyway....

Maybe I could be in your squad of 19 announced on the Thursday, but politely dropped when the final 17 is announced, unless someone pulls out with a late memory loss injury?

To be honest, you'd be better using someone who knows about films and stuff, because they always come up.

The way things are, if you can tackle, run, catch, pass & remember a few plays, then you have a decent chance of being in the Fartown nineteen. 

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

What I've seen of him I reckon he'll go OK once he's settled in.

Yeah, he's a grafter and should more than hold his own.

Can't help thinking that he'll be a target though....I remember when David Watkins joined Salford and the opposition tried extra hard to make his cross-code transition as uncomfortable as possible. "Twinkle twinkle little star,we don't give a fcuk who you are" was a line he quoted in interviews when describing the verbal communications he received in the early days when he was roughed up in each and every tackle. He stood his ground and was respected by everyone in the game,both on the field and on the terraces.

I expect Burrell will give as good as he gets. Good luck to the fella (he'll need it!).

4 minutes ago, leaguefan13 said:
9 hours ago, Marauder said:

what is the average wage for a union premiership player and a super league player ?

Will he be taking a pay cut ?

What I've seen of him I reckon he'll go OK once he's settled in.

Isn’t there salary cap around triple ours 

Yes - so almost certainly taking a pay cut to join Wire. 

8 hours ago, Pigeon Lofter said:

Yeah, he's a grafter and should more than hold his own.

Can't help thinking that he'll be a target though....I remember when David Watkins joined Salford and the opposition tried extra hard to make his cross-code transition as uncomfortable as possible. "Twinkle twinkle little star,we don't give a fcuk who you are" was a line he quoted in interviews when describing the verbal communications he received in the early days when he was roughed up in each and every tackle. He stood his ground and was respected by everyone in the game,both on the field and on the terraces.

I expect Burrell will give as good as he gets. Good luck to the fella (he'll need it!).

Yeah but I think the game has moved on since those days.

10 hours ago, leaguefan13 said:

There wages are exempt from the salary cap for the first year and only 50% count in the second. Idd imagine a few of the ritcher clubs could be tempted to try and sign the odd player or 2. 

He’s almost a risk free signing for Warrington in terms of the salary cap.

If he’s a flop at worst Moran will have lost some money.

47 minutes ago, leaguefan13 said:

Isn’t there salary cap around triple ours 

41 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Yes - so almost certainly taking a pay cut to join Wire. 

It should be remembered that whilst the Union salary cap is much higher, so is the number of players in each squad. So whilst their average is still higher than ours, a lot of players will be paid similar wages. But, I expect Burrell will be well paid, with his pedigree, however the exemption means that he is free for us on the salary cap in year one, and only 50% in year two, so tbh, you could get a couple of years out of him for pretty much no impact on your cap, it just depends whether you have the funds to pay those wages, which Wire do.

10 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

Anyway....

Maybe I could be in your squad of 19 announced on the Thursday, but politely dropped when the final 17 is announced; unless someone pulls out with a late memory loss injury?

To be honest, you'd be better using someone who knows about films and stuff, because they always come up in pub quizzes.  Humph.

Brilliant!?

Archived