Luther Burrell (Merged Threads)

47 minutes ago, Dave T said:

It should be remembered that whilst the Union salary cap is much higher, so is the number of players in each squad. So whilst their average is still higher than ours, a lot of players will be paid similar wages. But, I expect Burrell will be well paid, with his pedigree, however the exemption means that he is free for us on the salary cap in year one, and only 50% in year two, so tbh, you could get a couple of years out of him for pretty much no impact on your cap, it just depends whether you have the funds to pay those wages, which Wire do.

Fair doos to Wire, they are being pro active. 

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Signing contracts means very little, it only means you get a transfer fee if they're sold. The ARU would want something for Folau, it'll quite a lot as he's obviously very good.

Transfer fees aren't allowed in RU, the contract would have to be bought out. He's got four years left @ £1m/yr.

If Burrell buckles down and has a go, he should be ok.  We mustn't forget that, physically, he wont have had the stress on his body that RL brings, so I dont think age comes into it.

Sure, teams will target him as his match fitness and awareness will take time, but he appears to have the strength and weight to bust a tackle - and that's all he needs to do to provide for his wing.  As already mentioned, efence will be his weakness, but in a confident team, that weakness will be diluted a little.

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

If Burrell buckles down and has a go, he should be ok.  We mustn't forget that, physically, he wont have had the stress on his body that RL brings, so I dont think age comes into it.

Sure, teams will target him as his match fitness and awareness will take time, but he appears to have the strength and weight to bust a tackle - and that's all he needs to do to provide for his wing.  As already mentioned, efence will be his weakness, but in a confident team, that weakness will be diluted a little.

One of the best defensive centres I've ever seen at Warrington was signed from RU - Alan Bateman.  I'm not a subscriber to the if they're from union they can't tackle.  Hopefully Burrell will use his previous knowledge of the game to his advantage.

According to SKY his salary won’t count on the cap this season OR next, then 50% for the final year of his contract.

So that’s very little risk.   If he can’t force his way into the team before his salary starts to take effect I’m sure he’ll be wanting out and back to Union anyway so a reasonable gamble on the club’s part.

We are very, very lucky at Warrington to have a couple of wealthy owners.   However, they are no mugs and there’s obviously more to this signing than meets the eye.   They must feel there’s a marketing benefit to this, whether it’s raising the profile of the club or pinching curious RU fans from south of the traditional RL corridor during their off-season.   There’s a pool of potential fans out there in Cheshire and North Wales waiting to be tapped...  but I also think that will require a team that’s regularly at the top and winning trophies.   I guess the sport itself also needs a bigger profile for this to come off... ?

5 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

They must feel there’s a marketing benefit to this, whether it’s raising the profile of the club or pinching curious RU fans from south of the traditional RL corridor during their off-season.   There’s a pool of potential fans out there in Cheshire and North Wales waiting to be tapped...  but I also think that will require a team that’s regularly at the top and winning trophies.   I guess the sport itself also needs a bigger profile for this to come off... 

Think you’re trying to say Wire want to go upmarket. If that’s the plan, I think they are well placed to pull it off. 

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Think you’re trying to say Wire want to go upmarket. If that’s the plan, I think they are well placed to pull it off. 

I think ‘upmarket’ could be interpreted as an elitist phrase (which goes against what we stand for), but yes I think there is probably a good chance of securing the club’s future by targeting those fortunate to live in the very affluent areas slightly south of the heartland.   If you can get those children interested in RL they’ll hopefully stick with it for life and spread the word through universities and non-traditional RL workplaces where there’ll be even more access to untapped potential fans and investment.   Maybe then we can start to get some influence in the media and taken seriously and finally get the ‘Neanderthal’s game’ image off our back (not a dig at Mushy Peas BTW)...

<<< stands by for incoming! >>>

52 minutes ago, FullFat said:

One of the best defensive centres I've ever seen at Warrington was signed from RU - Alan Bateman.  I'm not a subscriber to the if they're from union they can't tackle.  Hopefully Burrell will use his previous knowledge of the game to his advantage.

I agree. He stuck to attackers like a damn limpet.

Burrell will be a great success from every angle, and I wish we League fans would accept that there are a fair few in the other code who would be great assets if only we could get them to switch.

1 hour ago, FullFat said:

Yes, I used to like him.  They had a few at the time with Davies and Ellis.

But those are your words, that he cant tackle, not mine.  Centre is one of the most difficult positions to defend from and in his first season he'll have his work cut out.

Hull have a winger from RU on trial plus another, and im sure other clubs are looking at them now the Burrel signing is going through. 

3 hours ago, FullFat said:

-One of the best defensive centres I've ever seen at Warrington was signed from RU - Alan Bateman.  I'm not a subscriber to the if they're from union they can't tackle.  Hopefully Burrell will use his previous knowledge of the game to his advantage.

simon irving  and craig innes are prob the best centres that have played our game in terms of tackling ability and they both came from the dark side , as for van dross I can only imagine as -Winston wolfe says "prize chump"

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

19 hours ago, longboard said:

The way things are, if you can tackle, run, catch, pass & remember a few plays, then you have a decent chance of being in the Fartown nineteen. 

That's annoying, because I've booked train tickets and was hoping to have a glass of wine with my tea at that Italian in Huddersfield then have a pre-match pint at the Slubbers Arms.

I'll bring my boots as long as I can still have a tuna pizza and not have to tackle Murdoch-Masila. 

Deal?

On 2/17/2019 at 8:52 PM, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Replacing a 33 year-old with a 31 year-old who hasn’t played Rugby League for at least fifteen/sixteen years stinks of nothing more than a publicity stunt to try and get some interest in the club from RU fans and nothing more. 

Surely his potential wage would be better spent upgrading contracts or emerging young players or going towards the signing of a proven Rugby League centre. 

He's not first choice / guaranteed playing time at Northampton Saints these days, time to move on. Not sure it is such a great thing for Warrington, once the publicity has faded. But, good luck to him. Hope he does ok.

26 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Go on then. 

There is a reason that Saints haven't renewed his contract and no other RU club has come in for him. His form has declined alarmingly since Eddie Jones subbed him in a test match after just 25 minutes back in 2016. It was a full test against Australia in Brisbane on the summer tour in 2016. He wasn't playing well but the humiliation really knocked his confidence and he's not been the same since. 

As a player he is fairly process driven, that is to say that he is not an instinctive type of player. He tends to run to patterns that he's practiced. Although quite a big centre, he doesn't tend to carry well in heavy traffic and he's not a destructive tackler either. His pace and distribution are ok but not exceptional. 

To be honest, it's not really caused much concern that he'll start a trend although I'll be curious to see how he gets on. He's a nice lad but just too nice I think to really be a top player. I don't think he'll let anyone down but I don't expect him to make a huge impression either.

He is a confidence player though so he may get that back and surprise me. Good luck to him but as others have already said, he probably wouldn't be on the first page of names I'd have tried to recruit from RU.

2 hours ago, Leeds Wire said:

That's annoying, because I've booked train tickets and was hoping to have a glass of wine with my tea at that Italian in Huddersfield then have a pre-match pint at the Slubbers Arms.

I'll bring my boots as long as I can still have a tuna pizza and not have to tackle Murdoch-Masila. 

Deal?

Tuna pizza?!*? That's an abomination.

23 minutes ago, JCXV said:

There is a reason that Saints haven't renewed his contract and no other RU club has come in for him. His form has declined alarmingly since Eddie Jones subbed him in a test match after just 25 minutes back in 2016. It was a full test against Australia in Brisbane on the summer tour in 2016. He wasn't playing well but the humiliation really knocked his confidence and he's not been the same since. 

As a player he is fairly process driven, that is to say that he is not an instinctive type of player. He tends to run to patterns that he's practiced. Although quite a big centre, he doesn't tend to carry well in heavy traffic and he's not a destructive tackler either. His pace and distribution are ok but not exceptional. 

To be honest, it's not really caused much concern that he'll start a trend although I'll be curious to see how he gets on. He's a nice lad but just too nice I think to really be a top player. I don't think he'll let anyone down but I don't expect him to make a huge impression either.

He is a confidence player though so he may get that back and surprise me. Good luck to him but as others have already said, he probably wouldn't be on the first page of names I'd have tried to recruit from RU.

Rather negative assessment. Where do you see him playing?

51 minutes ago, longboard said:

Tuna pizza?!*? That's an abomination.

Tuna, red onion and fresh tomato with tabasco.  It's the perfect pizza.  It's also my minimum demand before I sign the contract. 

I also can't guarantee being at my best, having hit the booze, eaten a pizza and my son supporting Wire from the stands.

I'll give it a go though.

On 2/18/2019 at 7:00 AM, Damien said:

Apart from maybe Te'o the rest are way, way past their best and I can't see any RL club splashing big money. In the case of SBW they may do but it will be more of a marketing and sponsorship coup as much as anything.

SBW would still make the difference in SL.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

On 2/19/2019 at 8:30 PM, c0c0nutz said:

IF he can have some kind of impact hopefully it could encourage others to follow suite like Owen Farrell who would be an ideal replacement for SOL when he retires and to see whether he can live up to the legacy of his father at Wigan.. Not to forget others like Kyle Eastmond, Ben Te'o, Cooper Vuna, Chris Ashton and for ambitious clubs Radradra, SBW, Folau or even someone like George Ford but I think priorities should be on keeping talented youngsters from leaving in the first place.

More money, a better International scene and continental competitions for club. As much as I love our code, I just can't see the likes of Owen Farrell switching codes. 

Though SBW, Ben Te'O, etc., who already played professional rl, could realistically.

Toronto Wolfpack Global Ambassador

7 minutes ago, MatthewWoody said:

More money, a better International scene and continental competitions for club. As much as I love our code, I just can't see the likes of Owen Farrell switching codes. 

Though SBW, Ben Te'O, etc., who already played professional rl, could realistically.

Ours is a much much harder  game, so the risks associated with the sporting challenge would deter a lot of people. 

Archived