SBW to Toronto??

Hullfan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Sonny Bill WIlliams signs for the Toronto Wolfpack for 2020, on the assumption that Toronto makes Super League in 2020, and the team also signs a quality half (e.g. Jackson Hastings), then, with the existing exceptional talent of Ricky Leutele in the centres, the Toronto Wolfpack will not be a one year wonder in Super League. They will retain their position for 2021 and might even make the playoffs in 2020.

23 minutes ago, Jean de Bordeaux said:

Is he not linked with the Roosters for 2020 ?

Where did you read that?

The Roosters probably could not afford SBW, especially if their highly paid star half back Cooper Cronk decides to play on in 2020 (Cronk has said on the BBC that he is thinking about it and will decide in two or three months). Plus the Roosters already have paid good money to lure Angus Crichton from South Sydney as back row partner for Boyd Cordner, with capable Mitchell Aubusson as bench substitute. In addition the Roosters already have an up and coming star Victor Radley at No 13, with a very good Isaac Liu as bench substitute. So I cannot see the Roosters fitting SBW into a place in the team, or under the salary cap, especially if their great asset Cooper Cronk decides to play for one more year.

Just to clarify what the article in League Weekly actually says (If only they had one of those new fangled website type things).

It reads  -

League Weekly understands the Wolfpack are looking to make a signing in the next two weeks and then bring in a big name from RU later this year. Toronto owner David Argyle told a crowd of Wolfpack fans at a pub on Saturday night: "We've got some really exciting things coming up".

"Before the RUWC in Japan later this year, we will have one of the top five rugby players (coming here)"

Argyle did not reveal further details on which RU player the Canadian outfit are targeting.

This is followed by speculation on the likes of SBW, Folau, Te'o etc. So a signing in the next two weeks and then a 'big name' from Union before the RUWC. 

1 hour ago, thirteenthman said:

Just to clarify what the article in League Weekly actually says (If only they had one of those new fangled website type things).

It reads  -

This is followed by speculation on the likes of SBW, Folau, Te'o etc. So a signing in the next two weeks and then a 'big name' from Union before the RUWC. 

So it’s been confirmed it isn’t SBW and Folau just signed a new deal with Australian union. Perhaps it is Te’o but then again that’s a bit disingenuous claiming him to be a top five player in union 

21 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Wigan get docked two league points for exceeding the cap by £14,000, I dont suppose TWP will be very far away from their limit (considering they have one), I should imagine SBW would command £14,000 a week himself in wages, which would equate to a rather large points deduction.

Surely he’s only be able to sign as a marquee player, as I’m sure they’re allowed in the Championship as well as Super League. 

25 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

So it’s been confirmed it isn’t SBW and Folau just signed a new deal with Australian union. Perhaps it is Te’o but then again that’s a bit disingenuous claiming him to be a top five player in union 

Being a top 5 player in union isn’t even a claim of sporting achievement. He could as well have been showing off about signing the winner of the Hooters annual big ribs eat off if he wanted to parade a fatty capable of sustained activity for a few seconds every 20 minutes. 

5 minutes ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Being a top 5 player in union isn’t even a claim of sporting achievement. He could as well have been showing off about signing the winner of the Hooters annual big ribs eat off if he wanted to parade a fatty capable of sustained activity for a few seconds every 20 minutes. 

Yes I’m sure 

57 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

Surely he’s only be able to sign as a marquee player, as I’m sure they’re allowed in the Championship as well as Super League. 

Good point Ollie, but do you know how many marquees they have on their register, if they are up to limit they will have to cut their cloth to suit, won't they?

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Wigan get docked two league points for exceeding the cap by £14,000, I dont suppose TWP will be very far away from their limit (considering they have one), I should imagine SBW would command £14,000 a week himself in wages, which would equate to a rather large points deduction.

Really? You think Toronto’s squad will be costing more than Warrington or St Helens? 

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

I thought Union players counted less on the cap? Or could be made their marquee player. 

Archived