Sign in to follow this  
Hullfan

SBW to Toronto??

7 minutes ago, DiddyDave said:

So a lot of people in Canada know,or even care,who Sonny Bill Williams is then? I`m telling you he`ll be a whole waste of time and money. A game here,a game there,then he`ll suddenly have family problems and have to rush back to the Antipodes. Pay per play is all I`d be offering him.

Let's see what happens. I'm pretty sure our marketing department won't hesitate to push the story everywhere about one of the biggest names in all of rugby joining Toronto. I bet you it will be picked up by all the media in Oz, NZ and the UK as well. Nothing wrong with building up the profile of the sport and getting more eyeballs on it is there? Pretty sure Mr. Elston wouldn't moan about us pulling this off as none of the SL clubs could do it could they?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, SL17 said:

Home and away fixtures.As an example Widnes (before what we now know) would not have to travel to Toronto.

As that was classed as a home fixture for Toronto.

I might be missing something here... How is this an advantage to Toronto?

• Like 2

Sonny Bill has to be one of the most famous players in any code here, probably only behind Jonny Sexton, and maybe still Dan Carter and Ritchie McCaw. He also fits the "rugby is rugby" approach of TWP being a cross-code player. It has the potential to be a very big deal if it happens. I mean, he's an All-Black- EVERYBODY has heard of the All Blacks and know they're the best team in the world. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Sonny Bill has to be one of the most famous players in any code here, probably only behind Jonny Sexton, and maybe still Dan Carter and Ritchie McCaw. He also fits the "rugby is rugby" approach of TWP being a cross-code player. It has the potential to be a very big deal if it happens. I mean, he's an All-Black- EVERYBODY has heard of the All Blacks and know they're the best team in the world. 

I've heard of Dan Carter, but don't know about Jonny Sexton and Ritchie McCaw (presumably they are All Blacks). I know I could google their names, but don't have any intention of researching RU players.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, TheReaper said:

If they can sign him it will be huge news for the sport of rugby (both codes) and also the Wolfpack in Toronto...Argyle seems to be very serious about this and he is usually a man that gets what he wants.  I really think he intends to build the finest rugby franchise in the Northern Hemisphere (either code) out of Toronto.  RL is lucky to have him!

I just can't wait for the first home game this year....its causing me a alot of stress.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kayakman said:

If they can sign him it will be huge news for the sport of rugby (both codes) and also the Wolfpack in Toronto...Argyle seems to be very serious about this and he is usually a man that gets what he wants.  I really think he intends to build the finest rugby franchise in the Northern Hemisphere (either code) out of Toronto.  RL is lucky to have him!

I just can't wait for the first home game this year....its causing me a alot of stress.

You’ve already had your first home game.

- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

Sonny Bill Williams is also a boxer, and he may be looking to make it in America in that sport. If he does, I want him promoting rugby league while he does it! 

Of course, he also already happens to be one of the best known and most marketable rugby players in either code. He's got a proven winning record everywhere he's been, the Roosters still talk glowingly about the impact he had on their culture (they signed Cronk to replicate it), and... Geez, do I need to go on? He'd be an immense signing, for Toronto and the game. Who knows? A 2021 RLWC swansong with Samoa could be on the cards. How good would that be?? 

1 hour ago, Manx RL said:

You’ve already had your first home game.

No silly...I mean our first home, home game.

5 hours ago, glossop saint said:

On 5 Live Sports Extra' s commentary of saints Leeds last night they had to pull an interview at half time because the story hadn't been confirmed/released. I wonder if this could have been it? 

Argyle is on the move...he wants to deal....hes got the cash.

19 hours ago, ChoboMog said:

For what it's worth...

wolfpack.png.dca776e9afc7e6d599937b766fe68c1c.png

Maybe Argyle is looking to sign two RU stars then?  SBW and another?

5 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

A real possibility...maybe even a probability?

2 hours ago, Manfred Mann said:

I know AN Other played a few A team games in the 1990s. Must be knocking on a bit now.

• Like 1