PNG players in the UK

Can any Championship fans give us their initial impressions on Featherstone’s Ase Boas, Watson Boas and Thompson Teteh, or Barrow’s Stargroth Amean, Wartovo Puara and Willie Minoga, after seeing them play a few times. 

It will be interesting to see how the replacements from the PNG league get on, in the place of these experienced Queensland Cup players, at the PNG Hunters. 

Barrows lot were very good in first 3 games involving league and pre season. Barrow got tonked 56 0 by York in 4th game in which whole team were poor apart from 1 or 2. 

Considering that the conditions will be pretty unfamiliar they have started well. I'm exciting for when the grounds firm up. 

9 hours ago, leaguefan13 said:

Jason tali at donny was very good in round 1. 

Hit and miss, especially in the first half. But when he hit... :o 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

16 hours ago, Rob Nash said:

Always said PNG lads are great value. Every team in Championship and League one can only be enhanced by a couple.

Can't agree wth that, tbh. We had the Albert bros. play a couple of dual-reg games for us when they were at Widnes, and they were pretty anonymous to be fair.

cru....Cru.....CRUSADERS!!!!!!

3 hours ago, FearNothing said:

Can't agree wth that, tbh. We had the Albert bros. play a couple of dual-reg games for us when they were at Widnes, and they were pretty anonymous to be fair.

Wellington Albert is good value, tbh

1 hour ago, Copa said:

Had there ever been a UK player in a PNG competition?

I doubt it very much. None are professionals and if they did get paid a weeks worth of PNG currency wouldn't buy a coke in the UK (slight exaggeration maybe) Not to mention foreigners are often targeted for theft and murder. At least in the capital.  

7 minutes ago, B rad said:

I doubt it very much. None are professionals and if they did get paid a weeks worth of PNG currency wouldn't buy a coke in the UK (slight exaggeration maybe) Not to mention foreigners are often targeted for theft and murder. At least in the capital.  

In some old RL photos of PNG RL there are a few white faces floating around in playing gear. There’s bound to be the occasional expat playing at some point.

4 hours ago, wackojacko said:

Wouldn't these be Aussie expats?

If they were Aussies they would be.

Here’s the flyer for the representative Papua v New Guinea match (look at those surnames) and a team photo from a different year..

61C90531-DC6C-4BD7-965B-22D2544AD218.jpeg

790C46B5-4273-43A9-9FB6-09EB1A03C09B.jpeg

On 2/19/2019 at 11:32 PM, RSN said:

Barrows lot were very good in first 3 games involving league and pre season. Barrow got tonked 56 0 by York in 4th game in which whole team were poor apart from 1 or 2. 

Considering that the conditions will be pretty unfamiliar they have started well. I'm exciting for when the grounds firm up. 

Early days yet but they give 100% and you can’t ask for anymore from a player whatever their nationality is.

Archived