Independent Group

If I had to pick one MP who I could persuade to defect to the Independent Group, it'd be Ken Clarke.  He's always been on the softer side of the Tories and has picked repeated fights with both May and the ERG over Brexit.  He also has a large following and respect across the political spectrum.  That would be a properly crippling blow for May, and Corbyn by association, given that the likes of Soubry, Wollaston, Allen and the other Labour lot aren't exactly household names.

What about you lot, who would you bring to the Party?

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

• Replies 619
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Both parties are drifting away from the centre ground and this is a sign of it . The worry is their reaction is keep on doing so with what’s left . May has hooked her caravan to the ERG bandwagon and this is what she’s got 

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

Heidi Allen would have been mainstream of the Tory party 5 or 10 years ago - she cares about the economy and business and law and order and running things efficiently and cutting out waste. She'd have fitted in fine in the party of say John Major & Ken Clarke. The current party and official opposition have been taken over by a group of backward looking ideologues with no interest in governing the country well.

Fixed that for you with an additional four words in bold and underlined.

"When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt; run in little circles, wave your arms and shout"

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

If I had to pick one MP who I could persuade to defect to the Independent Group, it'd be Ken Clarke.  He's always been on the softer side of the Tories and has picked repeated fights with both May and the ERG over Brexit.  He also has a large following and respect across the political spectrum.  That would be a properly crippling blow for May, and Corbyn by association, given that the likes of Soubry, Wollaston, Allen and the other Labour lot aren't exactly household names.

What about you lot, who would you bring to the Party?

Jess Phillips

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

Jess Phillips

Too left wing for a centrist group.  She'd put off many Tory defectors.

She's the sort of MP you'd want if you were looking to gut the Labour party and leave a far-left rabble behind.  If she leaves then she's right in the core party and would only leave as part of a mass exodus.

3 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Could they approach Vince Cable please and poach him away? 

Vince is currently wearing a giant PICK ME sign and walking up and down in front of them.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Just now, ckn said:

Too left wing for a centrist group.  She'd put off many Tory defectors.

She's the sort of MP you'd want if you were looking to gut the Labour party and leave a far-left rabble behind.  If she leaves then she's right in the core party and would only leave as part of a mass exodus.

Yes she’d put off many people 

3 minutes ago, Shadow said:

Could they approach Vince Cable please and poach him away? 

I accept you were being flippant but Jo Swinson is the Lib Dem I'd be looking at if I wanted to cripple what's left of the Lib Dems.  She'd also be a welcome Scottish voice in the Independent Group so it's not just an English lot.

1 minute ago, ckn said:

I accept you were being flippant but Jo Swinson is the Lib Dem I'd be looking at if I wanted to cripple what's left of the Lib Dems.  She'd also be a welcome Scottish voice in the Independent Group so it's not just an English lot.

Jacob Rees Mogg . Give it a broader church look 

3 minutes ago, ckn said:

If you got Jo, Layla and Wera then the Lib Dems would be gone as a force.
I'm just waiting for someone sensible, charismatic and dynamic (I'd take two of those three traits to be honest) to come along and make a credible leadership bid. One downside to the Lib Dems general concensus is the lack of leaders in waiting.  

A point that hasn't been picked up elsewhere but my heavily healthcare biased Twitter feed has is that these aren't junior MPs, many are senior members or Chairs of Commons Select Committees.  They now hold a far more powerful voice in these Committees by having an unwhipped opinion. 

1 minute ago, Shadow said:

If you got Jo, Layla and Wera then the Lib Dems would be gone as a force.
I'm just waiting for someone sensible, charismatic and dynamic (I'd take two of those three traits to be honest) to come along and make a credible leadership bid. One downside to the Lib Dems general concensus is the lack of leaders in waiting.  

I've got a bit of a soft spot for Tom Brake as well.  He's the type of solid, if unexciting, performer who all parties need as their core.

3 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Jacob Rees Mogg . Give it a broader church look 

Do you think they would have been better being neutral on Brexit?

Or do you think Brexit is the whole raison d'etre?

I ask because there must be many people like me who welcome the stand against anti semitism yet are against a people's vote. 

1 minute ago, Martyn Sadler said:

Craig, I thought one of the forum rules was that we are not allowed to edit quotes from other posters.

I only intervene in negative contexts or where it's being used to deliberately change the context of the post.  I doubt seriously that @JonM minded given he "liked" the post and we're like minded on many subjects around this area.

But... I do understand your point as it looks like dual standards.

Just now, Niels said:

I ask because there must be many people like me who welcome the stand against anti semitism yet are against a people's vote. 

Personally I don't think they would be better being neutral on Brexit, although nor is it their raison d'etre (though its clearly a big part). I've thought for a few years that both the big parties really need to split so that MP's can be more true to what they really believe and offer the electorate a wider variety of policies to choose from. Sadly that could only happen with electoral system reform which both the major parties will never endorse due to turkeys not wanting to vote for christmas.

Just now, Niels said:

Brexit is a central issue so by definition it’s hard to be neutral on it , to a big degree it’s bound them and threw them together . A small few can be united though ...but if this grows and picks up more MPs then by definition they’re gonna have different views , on brexit , on a second referendum etc , so you’re success is also a problem and you become like the other parties with various shades .

The idiot spin has started:

I wait for the "betrayers of the people" unofficial but remarkably consistent spin against the Tory defectors.

6 minutes ago, Niels said:

For me this is all about Brexit.

Archived