Widnes problems

dkw

3 hours ago, Bomb Jack said:

This fundraising effort has nothing to do with Widnes Sport Ltd, the Company Steve O'Connor started after we went into Administration in 2007.

This is all being done by genuine fans of the Club, which includes Players and backroom staff. They obviously have no job if the worst happens, so they all worked 12.1/2 hours at the Club yesterday, for free!

Ex-Viking Big Wille Isa also went down and helped on the phones yesterday.

I do get that, but by using the official club social media, that blurs the lines around independence. 

I have full sympathy with employees and fans who are the ones who get shafted by poor management.

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, The Future is League said:

But importantly you did get back on an even keel.

I can only conclude that some clubs are way overspending, not just a little.

Well I hope we have.

How many clubs can honestly say they haven't overspent in the recent past ? I'm not saying it's right but unfortunately a lot of these hard nosed businessmen lose the plot when it comes to rugby league.

5 hours ago, ELBOWSEYE said:

Instead of this fundraising which is for the right reasons, simply  buy season tickets or is that too simple. 

The club has already had half a million quid or so in season ticket sales before the season started. There'll be a couple of thousand people who've paid £200 on a season ticket that will probably have got them admission to one game. One of the reasons so many people are pointing the finger at James "the club is debt-free" Rule is that clubs which go bust usually do so in the close season, not *after* they've already received a large proportion of their income for the year.  Buying a season ticket now would be utterly pointless - not going to benefit Widnes RL at all. Better to give that money to VIQI or any new club.

28 minutes ago, JonM said:

One of the reasons so many people are pointing the finger at James "the club is debt-free" Rule is that clubs which go bust usually do so in the close season, not *after* they've already received a large proportion of their income for the year.  Buying a season ticket now would be utterly pointless - not going to benefit Widnes RL at all. Better to give that money to VIQI or any new club.

This was similar to the last Bradford meltdown. Marc Green grabbed the season ticket money, most of it via 'early bird' deals - then put the club into Admin (later that turned into liquidation).

When Andrew Chalmers took over he felt obliged to honour those season tickets (and did so), but he had none of income - it had all disappeared with Green.

12 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

If Widnes go into liquidation and cease to exist will they be redirected like Bradford were and given a 12 point penalty? 

Twelve point penalty already applies I believe, due to going into administration (not liquidation yet.)

10 minutes ago, JonM said:

Twelve point penalty already applies I believe, due to going into administration (not liquidation yet.)

Yeah I know that. But if they were liquidated and a new club was formed would it be like the Bulls, instead of starting in League 1 they just carry on like nothing has happened 

6 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

Yeah I know that. But if they were liquidated and a new club was formed would it be like the Bulls, instead of starting in League 1 they just carry on like nothing has happened 

Liquidation and administration are completely different. It will be quite a while before the current 'Widnes RLFC' Co are liquidated no matter what happens.

13 hours ago, Dave T said:

I genuinely wish the club all the best, but I don't like the official club Twitter campaigning for these 'independent' funds.

It has stopped me donating to be honest.

I understand that it's being done out of desperation but I found the tweets to the SBRF foundation and Wire FM to be in poor taste and, being honest, emotionally manipulative.

I also share the sentiment, expressed by others, about what the intention for the money is. It's been stated that it's to “save” the club from administration but, with a great deal of respect, there isn't a hope of that happening from supporter donations and bucket collections. Again, I understand completely why people want to donate but I'm just witnessing people giving away sentimentally valued memorabilia with no conceivable benefit to anyone. There was a video earlier today of one guy who donated £10,000 and, accepting that first impressions can be deceiving, he didn't present himself as the type of person who would have that sort of money to spare. I really hope that it wasn't a substantial portion of his life savings.

15 hours ago, Dave T said:

I genuinely wish the club all the best, but I don't like the official club Twitter campaigning for these 'independent' funds.

It has stopped me donating to be honest.

Dave, don’t think of them as official club social media accounts.

If it helps, think of the club directors as an evil junta whose generals have fled for the hills.

All that has happened is that the rebels have seized control of the state communication apparatus.

It seems the Directors (Rule & Co) have bled the Club dry!

Our debts haven't been called in, and we haven't been put into Administration by HMRC or similar.

The Directors left less than £1,000 in our Bank Account, made sure they got their final salaries first, and then called in the Administrators.

Disgraceful behaviour, and also illegal!!!

Widnes - Cheshire's Original Glamour Club.

I have a soft spot for Widnes and really hope they get through this. It's obvious the club have been dreadfully mismanaged. I do however feel a bit uneasy at the requests for donations from fans. It's not clear what the money is for and I fear it may end up in a black hole. I also note Martin Offiah has recieved huge amounts of abuse for not publically supporting the fundraiser. 

28 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I have a soft spot for Widnes and really hope they get through this. It's obvious the club have been dreadfully mismanaged. I do however feel a bit uneasy at the requests for donations from fans. It's not clear what the money is for and I fear it may end up in a black hole. I also note Martin Offiah has recieved huge amounts of abuse for not publically supporting the fundraiser. 

Fair point , felt similar when I saw that email request for money going round . Doesn’t look great when you’ve got yourself into a total mess and with an uncertain future .  These things must be on the radar for some time and yet they signed Gelling ?

1 hour ago, Bomb Jack said:

It seems the Directors (Rule & Co) have bled the Club dry!

Our debts haven't been called in, and we haven't been put into Administration by HMRC or similar.

The Directors left less than £1,000 in our Bank Account, made sure they got their final salaries first, and then called in the Administrators.

Disgraceful behaviour, and also illegal!!!

where did you read that?

It'd be nice to think the money is being collected in one place and people will know how it is being used? rather than just getting thrown into the administration black hole. Without knowing how bad the situation is they may well be trying to put out a house fire with a water pistol.

Maybe some sort of trust could be put together and if There's no point putting the money into Widnes Vikings it could be used to help start a new club in the town.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

8 minutes ago, tuutaisrambo said:

It'd be nice to think the money is being collected in one place and people will know how it is being used? rather than just getting thrown into the administration black hole. Without knowing how bad the situation is they may well be trying to put out a house fire with a water pistol.

Maybe some sort of trust could be put together and if There's no point putting the money into Widnes Vikings it could be used to help start a new club in the town.

The money is being held by VIQI, which is a fan-run squad builder type organisation. 

The declared intention is to use it to come out of administration if feasible (possibly in conjunction with a business consortium) or to help fund a successor club if this one is liquidated.

16 hours ago, Mr Plow said:

‘... carry on like nothing has happened.’

Lordy.

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

15 hours ago, Steve Fox said:

Dave, don’t think of them as official club social media accounts.

If it helps, think of the club directors as an evil junta whose generals have fled for the hills.

All that has happened is that the rebels have seized control of the state communication apparatus.

Thats very good.

Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

Archived