Widnes problems

dkw

• Replies 690
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, millomite said:

When does the 12 point deduction kick in?

Assuming the RFL allow the takeover, it already has. If they don't allow it, then presumably Widnes are out of the league anyway.

12 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I don't think there has been any official announcement regarding a points deduction, probably because IIRC the actual deduction depends on how much of the debt the newco take on, and that is not yet known.

You could be right, but I remember reading the RFL were unavailable for comment in one paper, but in another, the Mirror, this was taken from the press announcement:

“Experienced administrator Peter O’Hara fronted the media on Friday afternoon to outline the current situation at the club, which includes a 12-point deduction verbally confirmed by the RFL.”

12 hours ago, Bomb Jack said:

And I'm hoping we can stay full-time.

I'd hazard a guess that this is one of the reasons you went bust in the first place.

Everyone needs to be realistic about the future and I'd imagine that even considering remaining full time would land you back with the buckets back out quicker than you can say Bradford Bulls.

Club's running full-time below SL, TWP accepted, is to my mind financial suicide, I am surprised that the Bulls given their recent past run with a mixture of full-time & part-time I believe, that's obviously why their admission prices are so high, knowing that they are more than likely to be in SL in the short term irrespective of their finishing position probably justifies it their eyes.

Delighted that Widnes appear to be on a safer footing now. It's probably already been said, but if we are to take positives from this saga, it's that the Widnes public have rallied around and showed how passionate they are to keep a presence in the town. That was probably needed after what seemed to be a developing apathy over the last few years.

I also saw a suggestion that the supporter's trust may have a place on the new board, which is wonderful if true.

2 minutes ago, Chris22 said:

Delighted that Widnes appear to be on a safer footing now. It's probably already been said, but if we are to take positives from this saga, it's that the Widnes public have rallied around and showed how passionate they are to keep a presence in the town. That was probably needed after what seemed to be a developing apathy over the last few years.

I also saw a suggestion that the supporter's trust may have a place on the new board, which is wonderful if true.

Now they just need to re brand as liverpool and all will be well

17 hours ago, chuffer said:

Looks that way, which is pretty brutal/ruthless if true but what else can be done?

what Degsy had to do at Leigh was brutal but essential - everyone on here supported his actions then. Manage FACTS not faces and don't let emotions cloud reality. Any club is the sum of its fans, players and coaches come and go

I think Widnes fans this week have shown enough that they want a Widnes RL club. The new directors are mainly from the town as far as I know. A move to any form of association with Liverpool would kill all the good work so far

18 hours ago, MZH said:

I aren't massively up on who they will be likely to keep and who will move on (I see Gelling is one already), but they have a good squad. Even with a few stars leaving they should remain one of the better teams and with 4 points on the board already I would expect they will be well clear of relegation.

Ar'nt they getting a 12 points deduction then? 

34 minutes ago, Rupert Prince said:

Mersey Vikings.

I'm pretty sure the people of liverpool are aware of the RL clubs in their doorstep and will go watch them if they want to.

Forming a new club in Bootle or somewhere.........or changing Widnes' name isn't going to tap into a new dormant market of rugby league fans in the city.........It's a football city.........just like Sheffield is.

england_identity2.jpg1921_button.jpg

Widnes will comfortably make up the gap to the rest. They've only got to win 4 more games than Swinton and Rochdale this season to catch up - and unless the squad is totally decimated then they'll do that easily.

So any talk about Widnes being relegated is well wide of the mark in my view.

On the other hand, they need to so avoiding relegation as their ONLY aim this season. Forget about making some sort of charge towards to the Top 5. Stabilise the club, and build for the future. They've no chance of stopping the Toronto juggernaut anyway, so might as well build for next season.

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

what Degsy had to do at Leigh was brutal but essential - everyone on here supported his actions then. Manage FACTS not faces and don't let emotions cloud reality. Any club is the sum of its fans, players and coaches come and go

just read that Tangata's former club Fax have pledged to support him through his injury recovery which is great news

1 hour ago, Spidey said:

I think Widnes fans this week have shown enough that they want a Widnes RL club. The new directors are mainly from the town as far as I know. A move to any form of association with Liverpool would kill all the good work so far

Yeah , but then you'd be massive , the mersey dome would be full every week and youd be taking on Brisbane in a couple of years for the WCC again

Archived