Widnes

Robin Evans

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/24/2019 at 10:33 AM, elppaxr2i said:

But yes it is an excellent time to play them - not only because they are in strife but they picked up a few long term injuries in Tangata n Ashall-Bolt in that game and their squad is paper thin

We have a few squad issues to resolve ourselves before Sunday, assuming the game goes ahead. Think Dan Smith & Turner's initial loan periods are both up so will be interesting to see if either or both are renewed, though if I understand the loan system rightly it would be on a week-to-week basis from now on after that initial month.

Brad Day is suspended, think Bussey still might have one game to go on his ban unless I have missed something, and with Jack Walker's current injury status uncertain and Golding still out it remains to be seen if any reshuffling of the back division at Leeds impacts on Briscoe or Newman's DR availability.

Of course we are still some way away from even getting confirmation that there will be a game on Sunday, but looks like we will have to keep our eyes peeled for announcements relating to the squad this week.

53 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

. Think Dan Smith & Turner's initial loan periods are both up 

dan signed 29th Jan calum 30th so loans finish this week

53 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

think Bussey still might have one game to go on his ban unless I have missed something, 

ignoring the possible Widnes postponement I had Bussey back for Sheffield game surprised when he was named but his non appearance after  Ryan had bigged up his fitness and eagerness to play  told me someone at the club had got their sums wrong and he's still banned

2 minutes ago, POR said:

ignoring the possible Widnes postponement I had Bussey back for Sheffield game surprised when he was named but his non appearance after  Ryan had bigged up his fitness and eagerness to play  told me someone at the club had got their sums wrong and he's still banned

Yep, 2 bans of 8 and 2 games to run consecutively. Toronto played 3 games after his ban, you're allowed to count 2 pre-season games and we have now played 4 league games so that makes nine so in theory one more game left unless we have missed something.

Heard the Club asked if he could play last Sunday and were told yes, then on Friday they got confirmation, which I think everyone on here already knew, that he was still banned - although the person telling me said he could play in our next game which doesn't fit with the maths.

1 hour ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

We have a few squad issues to resolve ourselves before Sunday, assuming the game goes ahead. Think Dan Smith & Turner's initial loan periods are both up so will be interesting to see if either or both are renewed, though if I understand the loan system rightly it would be on a week-to-week basis from now on after that initial month.

Brad Day is suspended, think Bussey still might have one game to go on his ban unless I have missed something, and with Jack Walker's current injury status uncertain and Golding still out it remains to be seen if any reshuffling of the back division at Leeds impacts on Briscoe or Newman's DR availability.

Of course we are still some way away from even getting confirmation that there will be a game on Sunday, but looks like we will have to keep our eyes peeled for announcements relating to the squad this week.

I think that after the initial loan period the only 'rule' is that the length of any extension can be less than 28 days provided the extension is put in place before the end of the current loan period.

2 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I think that after the initial loan period the only 'rule' is that the length of any extension can be less than 28 days provided the extension is put in place before the end of the current loan period.

Yep that's right. As you say, if Cas/Huddersfield are happy for them to stay and we still want them, they can continue to play for us on a week-to-week basis providing we extend before the first 28-day period runs out, but if they get recalled by the parent club they can only return if a new 28-day loan period starts, and SL clubs tend to get less keen on giving a player up for that long as the season proceeds and injuries start to bite (see Mitch Clark last year).

Fev 1983 I do not believe Les Tonks is right regarding the credit card company,  but as I am sure your tickets did not cost over £100 and that is the lowest  figure that the credit card company will be interested in, for a refund

5 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Yep, 2 bans of 8 and 2 games to run consecutively. Toronto played 3 games after his ban, you're allowed to count 2 pre-season games and we have now played 4 league games so that makes nine so in theory one more game left unless we have missed something.

That's what I thought, too. What on earth were we doing naming him in the 19 man squad for Halifax. Bit of incompetence there?

10 hours ago, haskey said:

Fev 1983 I do not believe Les Tonks is right regarding the credit card company,  but as I am sure your tickets did not cost over £100 and that is the lowest  figure that the credit card company will be interested in, for a refund

Yes you're correct. I'd forgotten the lower limit on claims for a 'single' item - I've only ever had issues with the £30k max ?

23 hours ago, Robin Evans said:

Thing is Trojan.... it does.

And if you ask fans of almost every club in our league they all believe its their club being persecuted.

Last year some batley fans were whinging about "moneybags fev" getting all the decisions.....

The absurdity of this situation is we all think we're being sh at upon.

I get what you are saying, but it doesn't answer the question why it still happens when watching as a neutral.

I watch most games on Sky, and I've absolutely no time for Wakefield, (they shouldn't be in SL IMO due to the appalling ground), but whenever I watch them, it is amazing how often they are on the end of a hiding by the ref in terms of 50/50 calls. Same story with Huddersfield and all of the "unfashionable" teams, especially when they are playing a Wigan, St. Helens or Leeds with a big crowd behind them.

Shaun O'loughlin has never tackled anything below the top set of teeth and yet it goes unpunished, and has for years. If he had played for Salford or Wakefield for example, he would have spent more time suspended than he has injured. It is the same with the disciplinary system, it is amazing how many players for big teams get off with sending off sufficient or no case to answer when compared to very similar offences committed by players at the smaller clubs.

20 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Spot on.  It's one of the many reasons why Rugby Union is such a great cure for insomnia.

I agree 100% but to allow a try when the "scorer" clearly didn't ground the ball correctly, or to effectively change the result of a match by awarding a penalty for an offence you've been ignoring for 79 minutes seems to be taking laissez faire a little far.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

On 2/22/2019 at 8:52 PM, RobLambert said:

Correct.  As I recall back in 1995 we had a televised game at home v Hull with one of the Connolly clowns in charge. (I'm sure it was an early pre SL Sky game but someone may be able to correct me on that).  In the first half we were disallowed 2 perfectly good tries where only Connolly saw forward passes.  TV replays showed that the tries should have stood and it was the main talking point of the match (needless to say we went on to lose). 

Afterwards Danny Divet was interviewed about the match and was asked about the decisions. He had just been named in the World team of the year and let's be honest he had achieved bigger things in the game but I always remember his response about those sort of decisions always happening to teams like Featherstone.

Mettre que dans votre pipe est la fumee - as the big man would have said - well if he spoke in French anyway. 

It was a Friday night game. Joe Nadiole's debut. Rovers were winning comfortably, Hull turned it around with Tevita Vaikona making the difference in the end. If I remember correctly the issue was more complex than Featherstone needing 2pts to finish 10th to make the SL in the end. 

Firstly there was the merger that was rejected by the three teams. Then there was a series of meetings to decide the make up of the super League. Surprise Surprise there was confusion right until the very end.

1 hour ago, Andrew Vause said:

It was a Friday night game. Joe Nadiole's debut. Rovers were winning comfortably, Hull turned it around with Tevita Vaikona making the difference in the end. If I remember correctly the issue was more complex than Featherstone needing 2pts to finish 10th to make the SL in the end. 

Firstly there was the merger that was rejected by the three teams. Then there was a series of meetings to decide the make up of the super League. Surprise Surprise there was confusion right until the very end.

It was also only the 16th of 30 league games so unless the ref was psychic.......*

Two other games that didn't help the cause were Salford away, where we threw away a match winning position and made one of the worst plays I've seen in 50 years of watching the game: Aston making a break, drawing the FB and then passing inside to Southernwood as though he was 50 yards away rather than 10ft resulting in a knock on and failure to go 2 (or 3?) scores in front. Hull away was also pretty dire with Steve Molloy strolling over early on only to fail to put the ball down correctly with no one near him -  we were never in the game after that.

*we didn't get higher than 10th place all season and that was only on 4 occasions

5 hours ago, DOGFATHER said:

I get what you are saying, but it doesn't answer the question why it still happens when watching as a neutral.

I watch most games on Sky, and I've absolutely no time for Wakefield, (they shouldn't be in SL IMO due to the appalling ground), but whenever I watch them, it is amazing how often they are on the end of a hiding by the ref in terms of 50/50 calls. Same story with Huddersfield and all of the "unfashionable" teams, especially when they are playing a Wigan, St. Helens or Leeds with a big crowd behind them.

Shaun O'loughlin has never tackled anything below the top set of teeth and yet it goes unpunished, and has for years. If he had played for Salford or Wakefield for example, he would have spent more time suspended than he has injured. It is the same with the disciplinary system, it is amazing how many players for big teams get off with sending off sufficient or no case to answer when compared to very similar offences committed by players at the smaller clubs.

This is the Man U syndrome.  A shop I used to go into had a list of "Ferguson Rules" for soccer.  I genuinely don't think it's deliberate, I think they do it subconsciously.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

3 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

It was also only the 16th of 30 league games so unless the ref was psychic.......*

Two other games that didn't help the cause were Salford away, where we threw away a match winning position and made one of the worst plays I've seen in 50 years of watching the game: Aston making a break, drawing the FB and then passing inside to Southernwood as though he was 50 yards away rather than 10ft resulting in a knock on and failure to go 2 (or 3?) scores in front. Hull away was also pretty dire with Steve Molloy strolling over early on only to fail to put the ball down correctly with no one near him -  we were never in the game after that.

*we didn't get higher than 10th place all season and that was only on 4 occasions

Crikey I always thought we were shafted in 1995 by the goalposts being moved after the end of the season, now I hear we deserved to be relegated because of a dodgy pass from Tubby and Steve Molloy being sh*te.  What an idiot I've been all these years.

17 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

Crikey I always thought we were shafted in 1995 by the goalposts being moved after the end of the season, now I hear we deserved to be relegated because of a dodgy pass from Tubby and Steve Molloy being sh*te.  What an idiot I've been all these years.

Don't be too hard on yourself mate! ?

52 minutes ago, RobLambert said:

You're so far from reality with that statement.....

12 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I was at that Salford away match and remember that well. We were bossing that game and it ended up as a draw.Going down memory lane looking at games that we should have won easily but lost in the final ten minutes one game sticks out above all others.It was in the early seventies I believe and my dad took me to Wheldon Road for the first time and we were easily outplaying Cas with good rugby until Mal Reily started doing up and unders to try and breach our defence and on three occasions our fullback ( possibly Harold Box ) dropped the ball to which they scored and won the game.Does anyone remember this game as this was the most sickening of results to take since watching Fev.

2 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

At the end of the day, whilst I feel sorry for the supporters Widnes have been cheating by spending beyond their means. It’s also a farce that no one knows as yet wether the match this weekend is going ahead.

MM,

And we haven’t been spending beyond our means? If we haven’t how do you account for our substantial debt?

Throwing stones in greenhouses comes to mind.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

Archived