23-24 Feb: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

The much maligned West Wales Raiders enter the first full month of the season on the same number of points as big-spending Newcastle Thunder,who were predicted for promotion by more than one individual.

The 2 games against them in March,in CCC and League 1 should be interesting.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, dead man inc said:

Great result for Bears & 3 of the Broncos youngsters on DR. Newcastle signed a lot of players in the off season, but do Newcastle DR with anyone?

They don’t but they’re spending an absolute fortune on wages and shouldn’t be losing to Coventry. I imagine Thunder’s head coach will be shown the door unless there’s a drastic change in form. 

Well done Coventry. 

59 minutes ago, Moscow01 said:

A mate was at the game and said he counted 123 people in the stand so it seems the real attendance is a lot less than 360. A real shame, the people of Coventry should be getting behind their team!

That’s odd. It’s normally the opposite at London - more people there than declared (due to freebies like players partners and guests). Great result though. Feels like this could be an interesting season with lots of close results so far. 

I have some good friends at Cov Bears from my days at the Midlands RL and their progress is nothing less than they deserve. Well done to Boomer, Ron, Tom and all the players and staff.

"I am the avenging angel; I come with wings unfurled, I come with claws extended from halfway round the world. I am the God Almighty, I am the howling wind. I care not for your family; I care not for your kin. I come in search of terror, though terror is my own; I come in search of vengeance for crimes and crimes unknown. I care not for your children, I care not for your wives, I care not for your country, I care not for your lives." - (c) Jim Boyes - "The Avenging Angel"

Donny managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in an ill tempered game at the Keepmoat. Hunslet were down to 11 men at one point and still managed to score a try whilst Donny were poor against that same 11. Brad Fash was easily the best Donny player on the pitch. Donny were too easily drawn in to the push and shove that seemed to happen far too frequently for me. Miloudi was way below his best at this level, trying to do too much with the ball and seemingly whinging to the ref every time he was tackled. Whilst some of his whinges were justified it became tedious after a while. 

rldfsignature.jpg

1 hour ago, IanMac said:

Your right mate but I think some credit to crusaders who never gave in and looked sharp with ball in hand. 

Cru were very good, very solid and scored a couple of good tries. Just ran out of steam as town lifted in the 2nd half. They will do well this season. 

18 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

That’s odd. It’s normally the opposite at London - more people there than declared (due to freebies like players partners and guests). Great result though. Feels like this could be an interesting season with lots of close results so far. 

His 'mate' is talking rubbish. The gate at the Bears is counted at the two turnstiles into the ground. Not to mention the main stand is too big to be able count everyone in it. And as you said players partners etc are not usually counted in the gate so if anything the numbers in the ground are under counted. 

1 hour ago, Moscow01 said:

A mate was at the game and said he counted 123 people in the stand so it seems the real attendance is a lot less than 360. A real shame, the people of Coventry should be getting behind their team!

He definitely needs to go to Specsavers.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

On 2/23/2019 at 9:48 AM, Bearman said:

I wonder how many times this season EVERY tipster on here will forecast the top of the table team will lose at home??

( just savouring the moment really?)

Heee, heee,heee.

Pundits? I've siht 'em

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

19 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

A few seasons ago Skolars beat Keighley, Doncaster and a few more established clubs. Since then they’ve been bitterly disappointing. I think LondonFan has every right to be very annoyed at how his club is performing, and for what it’s worth I agree with him. Skolars have been going a bloody long time now, they should be doing a lot better than scraping past West Wales. 

Tying in with this... Coventry had a few ex Skolars players in the team today (I think from my previous Skolars visits I’ve noticed, Hall & Purslow on the Skolars teamsheet before - I’m not 100% certain) did Skolars release these players or did the players choose to move themselves?

F8F39A28-181C-4B24-965B-DCFCC1A2346D.jpeg

well done coventry, i wasnt at the game so cant comment on the performance from thunder, what i will say is the club have spent alot of money this season in the hope of gaining promotion, first two games we lose both, not good enough, though what i will say is its only two games into the season with another 18 to play, we have players still to play a game yet to come into the side which will improve us alot, so not worried just yet, though we need to start winning and fast, off to london for two nights next weekend, hopefuly we beat the scolars.

7 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

Tying in with this... Coventry had a few ex Skolars players in the team today (I think from my previous Skolars visits I’ve noticed, Hall & Purslow on the Skolars teamsheet before - I’m not 100% certain) did Skolars release these players or did the players choose to move themselves?

Hall and Purslow both made their Coventry debuts last week. Sorry. I misread your post.

rldfsignature.jpg

18 minutes ago, dead man inc said:

I'm also curious about Kam Pearce Paul, I didn't realise he played for Coventry - is he on DR with the Bronco or permanent? He looked quite a good prospect when younger and played for England Academy

14 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

I'm also curious about Kam Pearce Paul, I didn't realise he played for Coventry - is he on DR with the Bronco or permanent? He looked quite a good prospect when younger and played for England Academy

I think the Broncos released him. His younger brother Kai is in the Broncos u19s & usually one of their best players.

15 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

He's permanent, but was on loan last year. Is an excellent prospect and based in the Midlands. 

I don't know all the individual circumstances but Bears have done well to pick a number of ex-Skolars and broncos players. Also got D/R with Broncos 

2 hours ago, OriginalMrC said:

Bit of drop today 360 but they enjoyed an amazing game. 

Those West Wales Raiders followers.Fill opposition grounds.?

1 hour ago, dead man inc said:

Great result for Bears & 3 of the Broncos youngsters on DR. Newcastle signed a lot of players in the off season, but do Newcastle DR with anyone?

We’ve got a fantastic dual-registration agreement with Wakefield and we’re going to utilise it.”

Source - Penultimate para - https://thunderrugby.co.uk/community/community-driven-newcastle-thunder-aiming-for-big-things-on-and-off-the-field-in-2019/

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

There is nothing wrong with rugby league. What a fantastic sport, always exciting to watch. Whatever level, it's always better than any other sport.

League 1. There is nothing wrong...  Okay, I shouldn't be posting this right now but look at it from a Bears perspective. If we can do it (albeit you don't have Alan Robinson as owner and Tom Tsang as coach...and you wouldn't want Tom Tsang as coach he's rubbish so don't even ask, you'll have to fight me if you do)  then other clubs can do it.

The great thing about League 1 is that Coventry Bears came in from amateur status and took a go at competing with professional sides. We could not have done what we did today without those games where we got smashed by the likes of Oldham, Doncaster, Bradford etc.  We picked ourselves up and learnt from those games.  The result is we now don't have

Archived