Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
marklaspalmas

Match Thread: Featherstone Rovers v Halifax Sunday 24th February 2019

31 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Its just an indication of how we have been playing really. Hammered by a good Widnes team was probably slightly unexpected, then looked distinctly average against a bang average Leigh team and then only able to string 20 minutes together against a very poor Batley team does not fill us with confidence. We look way off the pace of where we all expected us to be.

I watched the Batley game last night. I'm not sure you could drop that much ball again if you tried, and the ref caned you too, and had a very liberal interpretation of the offside rule. But dropping the ball at this level is a largely random act - if you do it 12 times in one game it doesn't follow the same will happen the next week.

Bit worrying that your only standout players last week were the two former Fev wingers (especially Sharp). Murrell always seems to turn up against us, though, and we have a lot of players (plus a coach) who might not be wise to his tricks. Tough game to predict.

On 2/20/2019 at 1:36 PM, marklaspalmas said:

Well. I thought the Leigh game was a big test and we came up short. Only three games played so no need to panic, we're still gelling, but if we are going to have a playoff season we'll need to start winning those kind of games soon. Here's another Halifax at home.

Hopefully the ilnesses that have laid low Wheeldon, Carey, Davies and lockwood will clear up. That's been a blow.

Hardcastle back from suspension.

So with Turner & Dan Smith continuing their loans, and Luke & Newman on DR with perhaps a forward, that'll be a stronger 19 and we'll be good to go.

A win would really set us up.

Carey had a troublesome hamstring from training. Said he should be back this week

21 hours ago, marklaspalmas said:

It's just one game counted off your ban, regardless of the number of fixtures your club plays.

AFAIK.

Well that has answered that question then, Bussey in the squad for Sunday!

53 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Well that has answered that question then, Bussey in the squad for Sunday!

Doesnt mean he will play

12 minutes ago, Cardypaul said:

Brad Day in squad, I thought he had got a 2 match ban?

For Championship teams (during the regular season anyway); bans are announced on Thursdays after the games, any appeals held the following Tuesday, bans come into effect the following weekend ie 2 weeks after original offence.

• Like 1

looking at squad think Maskill and Render will miss out with Davies Bussey  Hardcastle and Smith on the bench

6 hours ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

I watched the Batley game last night. I'm not sure you could drop that much ball again if you tried, and the ref caned you too, and had a very liberal interpretation of the offside rule. But dropping the ball at this level is a largely random act - if you do it 12 times in one game it doesn't follow the same will happen the next week.

Bit worrying that your only standout players last week were the two former Fev wingers (especially Sharp). Murrell always seems to turn up against us, though, and we have a lot of players (plus a coach) who might not be wise to his tricks. Tough game to predict.

Its been a similar tale in our other 2 games with a lot of dropped ball. The frustrating thing is that most of the errors are unforced and most of the penalties are justified. A few of our players just seem to be lacking motivation and I for one am hoping that Marshall moves along sooner rather than later. Given that there seems to be SL jobs coming up at the moment then it will boil down to if his contract will be renewed and 3 games in it doesn't look like its been mentioned yet so we should know pretty soon.

27 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Its been a similar tale in our other 2 games with a lot of dropped ball. The frustrating thing is that most of the errors are unforced and most of the penalties are justified. A few of our players just seem to be lacking motivation and I for one am hoping that Marshall moves along sooner rather than later. Given that there seems to be SL jobs coming up at the moment then it will boil down to if his contract will be renewed and 3 games in it doesn't look like its been mentioned yet so we should know pretty soon.

Is his contract up at the end of the season ? be careful what you wish for i think hes done a fantastic job at Fax

• Like 1

3 hours ago, POR said:

looking at squad think Maskill and Render will miss out with Davies Bussey  Hardcastle and Smith on the bench

What is the squad?

1 hour ago, gingdong said:

Is his contract up at the end of the season ? be careful what you wish for i think hes done a fantastic job at Fax

Yes his Contract is up. At the moment Fax are erratic to say the least  I will be there without any great expectations of a win

Told you just because you are named in squad doesnt mean you will play - and bussey not even in 17

Carey also misses out still cant be over his hamstring complaint

Edited by elppaxr2i

On 2/22/2019 at 1:02 PM, Private Baldrick said:

But if he is banned surely he can't be selected in the squad?

That's the puzzling aspect for me, he was banned for 8 + 2 games to be served consecutively, he served 3 games at Toronto, was eligible to count two of this season's pre-season games, and then we have played 3 games so far in the league, so in theory he ought to have 2 games remaining, unless there is some sub-rule I've missed.

After todays match and the goings on at Widnes (not nice to see but it will benefit us this season.) I’m more confident about our play off chances than the start of the year.

Good for you  . A big hammering for Fax   , the biggest win over them for six years.Oxy was right when he said it would be a comfortable win for us. I think we will get better as the season goes on.