Female pundits

Mr Plow

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

How long will it be until we get a female pundit on Sky or the BBC, seeing as the women’s game is gaining more publicity and giving more people opportunity to get involved with the he game. Should we be marketing the female players better?

It might be start if we marketed our male players for starters

10 minutes ago, Mr Plow said:

How long will it be until we get a female pundit on Sky or the BBC, seeing as the women’s game is gaining more publicity and giving more people opportunity to get involved with the he game. Should we be marketing the female players better?

I'd hope to see a bit more coverage of the women's Super League once it gets going again? Both BBC and Sky managed it last year, let's hope they do so again.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Signs of the times when we have to pander to leftist causes to gain exposure. Don’t get me wrong, I’d have no problem with a female pundit but just having one for the sake of it to show how ‘progressive’ we are doesn’t sit well with me 

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Signs of the times when we have to pander to leftist causes to gain exposure. Don’t get me wrong, I’d have no problem with a female pundit but just having one for the sake of it to show how ‘progressive’ we are doesn’t sit well with me 

Yes. It will be hard for any woman to match the quality input of the current Sky team. All of whom are there are on merit and show that each week.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

10 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Or isn't it just a bit odd that with all the presenters in the world, we just still end up with white men?

Some women are nearly as good as men at a few things nowadays.

13 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Interesting that you equate women's rights as being 'leftist', it seems very much that you would have a problem with a women pundit because you would think it's because we as a sport want to be seen as 'progressive', as if that's a bad thing !

My word, I dread the day we do. Not because the pundit is a woman, nothing misogynistic like that but because of the outcry there will be that a woman is talking about Rugby League on the TV.

The females who do punditry for football are absolutely castigated online for their opinions, mainly, IMO, because they’re a woman. Sue Smith the latest, for saying a football team didn’t have a goalscorer, when in fact they have a man who’s scored 20+ this season. Yet Martin Keown hasn’t received the same bile and vitriol for saying “you don’t see that often” last night when Sergio Aguero got taken off the pitch, when he’s actually been taken off 17 times in 21 games this season.  

I can only imagine what some RL fans would say if we ever employed a woman. 

Personally though, Jenna Brooks has always come across very well on Sky and I’d like to see more of her. Whereas, Angela Powers needs sacking, not because of her sex but because the stuff she says is often completely rubbish (as in the facts, not her personal opinion).   

6 minutes ago, Oliver Clothesoff said:

My word, I dread the day we do. Not because the pundit is a woman, nothing misogynistic like that but because of the outcry there will be that a woman is talking about Rugby League on the TV.

The females who do punditry for football are absolutely castigated online for their opinions, mainly, IMO, because they’re a woman. Sue Smith the latest, for saying a football team didn’t have a goalscorer, when in fact they have a man who’s scored 20+ this season. Yet Martin Keown hasn’t received the same bile and vitriol for saying “you don’t see that often” last night when Sergio Aguero got taken off the pitch, when he’s actually been taken off 17 times in 21 games this season.  

I can only imagine what some RL fans would say if we ever employed a woman. 

Personally though, Jenna Brooks has always come across very well on Sky and I’d like to see more of her. Whereas, Angela Powers needs sacking, not because of her sex but because the stuff she says is often completely rubbish (as in the facts, not her personal opinion).   

Agree about Angela powers, her after game interviews are cringe worthy. She struggles to string a sentence together that makes sense 

1 hour ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Sign of the times of the dog-whistle politics that we have nowadays that raising the possibility of having female pundits is described as a "leftist cause".

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

Interesting that you equate women's rights as being 'leftist', it seems very much that you would have a problem with a women pundit because you would think it's because we as a sport want to be seen as 'progressive', as if that's a bad thing !

Not sure what this has to do with women’s  rights but by all means, continue with your strawman argument 

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

Or isn't it just a bit odd that with all the presenters in the world, we just still end up with white men?

Some women are nearly as good as men at a few things nowadays.

Look if they add value then it would be a breath of fresh air to have them. But like I said, having one just for the sake of it. That’s problematic 

7 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Sign of the times of the dog-whistle politics that we have nowadays that raising the possibility of having female pundits is described as a "leftist cause".

It absolutely is a leftist cause when the basis of it stems from what’s between her legs and not what she is able to contribute 

5 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

It absolutely is a leftist cause when the basis of it stems from what’s between her legs and not what she is able to contribute 

Of course any appointments should be made on the basis of what they are able to contribute. But that applies to men as much as women. Wanting a meritocracy isn't exclusive to people with left-wing inclinations.

31 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Look if they add value then it would be a breath of fresh air to have them. But like I said, having one just for the sake of it. That’s problematic 

But who has asked for substandard presenters based on them being women? That is something you added in for some reason. 

I highlighted an example of a very good presenter Helen Skelton doing a superb job on the RLWC launch show.

14 minutes ago, The Phantom Horseman said:

Of course any appointments should be made on the basis of what they are able to contribute. But that applies to men as much as women. Wanting a meritocracy isn't exclusive to people with left-wing inclinations.

Who said anything about it being exclusive to the left? If anything, meritocracy and leftist views are mutually exclusive. In a world where being a female or minority has a greater value than personal skills, it is wrong to say anything but 

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

But who has asked for substandard presenters based on them being women? That is something you added in for some reason. 

I highlighted an example of a very good presenter Helen Skelton doing a superb job on the RLWC launch show.

In today’s world, being substandard is secondary if the person in question happens to be a female or minority

13 minutes ago, HarrogateKnights said:

To be fair Fox Sports in Australia have been leading the way with that with Yvonne Sampson being the main presenter presenting the Night/UK morning NRL shows (such as Saturday Night Footy Show) in the build up to NRL games. They often have a touchline commentator too

Yvonne Sampson knows her rugby and is a good example of what we should aim for, not just some token female pundit. Which brings me to the footy show and Erin Molan. I really don’t have to go there do I? 

3 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

In today’s world, being substandard is secondary if the person in question happens to be a female or minority

Here we go, the mantra of talentless, insecure white man who is trying to find someone else to blame for his lack of success rather than admit his own weaknesses. 

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived