Widnes

wozz

15 hours ago, wozz said:

Now could be the time to get a couple of players from Widnes,  like they all did when the bear's went bang???

That is probably what got Widnes in to trouble, signing player they cannot afford. happy with what we have got.

Also hope Widnes manage to pull through this. Not a nice position to be in.

2 hours ago, saints10coach said:

That is probably what got Widnes in to trouble, signing player they cannot afford. happy with what we have got.

Also hope Widnes manage to pull through this. Not a nice position to be in.

Your right it's not a nice position to be in, but all the vultures where hovering and stripped us clean, just hope a club in the heartlands like Widnes  can pull it round, or we could end up with another new club say Tunbridge hippos lol 

Sounds like yet another club who signed players on the basis of money promised by an 'investor'.  Keeps happening, and not sure what can be done to stop clubs doing it.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

My thoughts are with the players and other employees at the club,they will still have bills to pay if the club folds. Hopefully something can be done to avoid the demise of Widnes,which historically would be massive. There are probably other clubs living on the edge so the RFL need to look at ways of avoiding this in the future. On BBC radio Manchester they asked the question"is rugby league living it's means?". A big question for the game. Good luck to all involved with Widnes Vikings.

Widnes as a club has refused categorically to engage with the Supporters Trust for over 10 years. It's all been about so-called big money investors who turn out to be unable to honour the promises they make.

The RFL is supposed to have a 'fit and proper person' test and a 'due diligence' process for Directors: have you ever heard of anyone being turned down because of these tests? Thought not.

I hope something can be sorted out, preferably with Supporters Trust involvement.

4 hours ago, geoffcooke said:

Widnes as a club has refused categorically to engage with the Supporters Trust for over 10 years. It's all been about so-called big money investors who turn out to be unable to honour the promises they make.

The RFL is supposed to have a 'fit and proper person' test and a 'due diligence' process for Directors: have you ever heard of anyone being turned down because of these tests? Thought not.

I hope something can be sorted out, preferably with Supporters Trust involvement.

I think the chairman of Barrow was refused a few years ago Geoff.

5 hours ago, saints10coach said:

And didn't they take the licence from the guy at Doncaster.

And the guy at Blackpool who tried to avoid debts and come back like nothing happened.  

And the clubs themselves should stop falling for these con artists.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

21 hours ago, saints10coach said:

I stand corrected.

Incidentally the Rugby Oldham Facebook page posting today is on the 3 players who defected to Barrow in 2009 when the person you mention was splashing money around. Rob Roberts, Andy Ballard & James Coyle went but Barrow didn't reach the Grand Final. Oldham did but lost to Keighley. Would we have won if those 3 had stayed? Who knows but it was a blow at the time.

55 minutes ago, geoffcooke said:

I stand corrected.

Incidentally the Rugby Oldham Facebook page posting today is on the 3 players who defected to Barrow in 2009 when the person you mention was splashing money around. Rob Roberts, Andy Ballard & James Coyle went but Barrow didn't reach the Grand Final. Oldham did but lost to Keighley. Would we have won if those 3 had stayed? Who knows but it was a blow at the time.

That play off final was heartbreaking had the best team on paper but couldn’t get the job done. Remember Danny Jones being the best player on the pitch for keighley 

Tonight's Northwest News reported that Widnes have been saved by a consortium to be ratified on Friday. I wonder if it's anything to do with the RL.

Some questions to ask are, will they still have 12 points deducted for going into administration, are they still full time professionals and what happens when it happens again?

Archived