Time for Sir Paul McCartney to call it a day?

5 hours ago, tim2 said:

Springsteen's Broadway show was a perfect example of what you can do when you're 70. Beuatiful recollection of his early life and career with chilling solo/acoustic versions of some of his best songs.

I think it's easier for a solo artist to remain relevant than a band over time, I've seen and heard some of his solo shows including those recent ones but for me it just doesn't have the same appeal, his last really great album to my mind was Nebraska, a solo effort far superior to BITUSA and especially when those tracks got the full band treatment later.

17 hours ago, Niels said:

I liked some of the Wings songs.

The note you never wrote (Wings at the speed of sound) is my favourite though it was originally sung by Denny Laine.

For no one is my favourite of his Beatles work. 

Wings were pretty good at their best. But when a band is the project of an ex-Beatle, it is always going to be compared unfavourably.

And Emmylou Harris' rendition of 'For no one' is quite possibly my favourite Beatles cover.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 2/22/2019 at 12:26 PM, Shadow said:

I dread to think what their summer 2019 tour will be like, embarrassing for all concerned I imagine.

Except their bank managers!!

19 hours ago, Copa said:

The current concert scene in Canberra includes Bananarama, Suzi Quatro and Leo Sayer. Paul McCartney would fit right in.

Come to Hastings.

We had Showaddywaddy last week.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

8 hours ago, Futtocks said:

Wings were pretty good at their best. But when a band is the project of an ex-Beatle, it is always going to be compared unfavourably.

And Emmylou Harris' rendition of 'For no one' is quite possibly my favourite Beatles cover.

'Wings - the band the Beatles could have been.'

Sheer genius from Alan Partridge.

And when they found our shadows

Grouped around the TV sets

They ran down every lead

They repeated every test

They checked out all the data on their lists

And then the alien anthropologists

Admitted they were still perplexed

But on eliminating every other reason

For our sad demise

They logged the only explanation left

This species has amused itself to death

No tears to cry no feelings left

This species has amused itself to death

Back in the 90s when satellite tv included all the German channels: ARD, SAT 1, SAT3 etc their Saturday night variety shows always included numerous British groups from the 60/70s who were still popular over there. The likes of Smokie, Mindbenders, Procol Harum or parts thereof certianly prolonged their career's over there.    Latterly it's the Cruise Ships that cover that market for entertainers: Jakki Graham, Jim Tavare, Jools Holland spring to mind unfortunately, but hey its a living I suppose?

On 2/22/2019 at 2:38 PM, Wiltshire Rhino said:

He should have been retired after this monstrosity 

I'm not sure that was the tipping point, coming as it did after the musical emetic "Ebony and Ivory" and his involvement with Michael Jackson's risible "The Girl Is Mine".

"The Frog Chorus" merely revealed that the barrel he'd long been scraping the bottom of turned out to have a hidden basement.

Archived