New Logos

Dave Naylor

I was hoping that the new badge would be Chris riding a white charger with a big lance in his hand. In Sir Lancelot fashion. 

Because of all his faults, and whether that be by good luck or good judgement we have not been in administration like widnes Bradford, and close to folding like Salford Swinton etc

It would be interesting to know the purpose of 4, 5 and 6 as they look like the old style, school uniform badges to me. The traditional ones are fine, but if a simpler one is required, surely it needs to have a more modern look.

However, that's only my opinion based on the options available and it's not a big deal to me anyway.   

A slight tangent, but what happened to the Oldham seven squares logo? Have the local authority replaced it now?

I remember when it was adopted...thought it strange at the time to have a bland geometric design that no-one understood...but then got it as a tattoo 25 years ago! 

Just had a look on Google images,and the local authority logo now seems to be a bullseye. What's that all about??

Of the two sets on offer, my preference would be number 2 for the full shield, by a country mile, and number 4 for the simpler shield, because the other two are just a straight no.

My overall preference would be something else, no surprises there really being an outspoken critic of the crest.  In my opinion the crest should be used on the shirt, I like it there strangely enough, but as a brand or logo, it's a lame duck.

I've been bleating on for ages about the need for something simple and  modern for use across social media and elsewhere online.

I'll have to keep bleating.

1 hour ago, Logic said:

It would be interesting to know the purpose of 4, 5 and 6 as they look like the old style, school uniform badges to me. The traditional ones are fine, but if a simpler one is required, surely it needs to have a more modern look.

However, that's only my opinion based on the options available and it's not a big deal to me anyway.   

The intention there is to use it across a future line of merchandise.  Fewer fiddly bits and colours means a lower number of stitches for embroidery and therefore a cheaper cost.

I'd not thought about the school uniform angle.  You're right, that's exactly what they look like.  The fuller shields look like sports day awards too . Lol.

7 minutes ago, SINGE said:

They're by Hobson aren't they.... ?

What a choice... 

I grok the work that's gone into them.  Honestly, I really get the effort that's involved. However, the logos are just bland served up on a bed of blandness drizzled in bland sauce.  Just awful.

On 2/22/2019 at 12:15 PM, Pigeon Lofter said:

A slight tangent, but what happened to the Oldham seven squares logo? Have the local authority replaced it now?

I remember when it was adopted...thought it strange at the time to have a bland geometric design that no-one understood...but then got it as a tattoo 25 years ago! 

Just had a look on Google images,and the local authority logo now seems to be a bullseye. What's that all about??

The council in their infinite wisdom decided a decade or so ago that it needed a rebrand. The current logo that you see as a bullseye is supposed to represent "one Oldham" and I remember much criticism at the time about it resembling a Polo Mint.

I concede many of you don't like any of them: that being so you need to come up with some alternatives pretty quick before a commitment is made to go with any of these.

A lot of people gave up their time attending meetings to discuss this. The club can't afford to waste money proceeding with something which won't pay off.

NB I have no personal interest in the input or the outcome.

2 hours ago, Whitworth Yed said:

It is also concerning that Dave's thoughts have been overlooked despite his design skills.

I really don't think I have any but thanks.  Maybe I suffer from impostor syndrome too much.

Anyway, it appears that the overriding factor has been to retain the crest "because that's what the fans want". 

I'd want the present crest on the shirt, satisfying the fans and then have something additional for marketing/social media.  It's a no-brainer really.

On 2/25/2019 at 10:59 AM, Dave Naylor said:

I'd want the present crest on the shirt, satisfying the fans and then have something additional for marketing/social media.  It's a no-brainer really.

Its hard to market a 'roughyed' though.  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Archived