South Stand closing for Toronto Game

Blind side johnny

HWD Hospital Radio @HWDRadio

Don't miss any of the action on Sunday with HWD Hospital Radio. We've LIVE commentary as @DewsburyRams take on The Toronto Wolfpack from 3.00pm.
Hear all the action from the Tetley Stadium. Listen live for free:http://ow.ly/mNpD30ncrca  
Join our volunteers Martin & Rob from 2pm for all the build up.

It's next best to being there!

2 hours ago, jamesb0551 said:

Actually felt closing the south stand made for a better atmosphere 

It did, but sitting down really is pants..I went and stood in the rain for the second half...

2 hours ago, jamesb0551 said:

A better atmosphere in the North Stand or a better atmosphere all round?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

20 minutes ago, NickD said:

It did, but sitting down really is pants..I went and stood in the rain for the second half...

Oh dear!

I do remember in our time at Crown Flatt all of those dedicated Long Stand occupants who would stay there, unmoved, no matter what the elements might throw at them. In fact, for a number of years, I was one of those occupants. Looking back I can offer no sensible explanation for such behaviour, except meanness.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, jamesb0551 said:

The obvious test then is to shut the whole ground...

Touch Rugby W(h)inger and part-time Super Hero (Thursday mornings by appointment) :superman:

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

10 hours ago, jamesb0551 said:

Just more atmosphere generally BSJ. I think there’s something to be said for bunching all the fans up. Which is why away support is normally noisy. 

Probably something in that.......I remember the Alliance fixtures were always (nearly) atmospheric occasions. 

11 hours ago, jamesb0551 said:

Just more atmosphere generally BSJ. I think there’s something to be said for bunching all the fans up. Which is why away support is normally noisy. 

Then perhaps it might be an interesting experement to close the north stand and polarise all support in the South stand!! ... of course I don't think its feasible but it would be interesting!!.. 

11 hours ago, jamesb0551 said:

Well, it works particularly well at Hunslet, doesn't it?

I’m talking about density of support our average attendance will be higher than there’s bsj that’s a bit of a flippant remark, and that’s a terrible rugby ground to boot. I’m only saying maybe it would be better for the games that will pull a smaller attendance to pack out the north and Beaumont terrace rather than spreading 1000 or so fans out around the ground.

www.dewsburyramstv.co.uk - free highlights service

51 minutes ago, jamesb0551 said:

I’m talking about density of support our average attendance will be higher than there’s bsj that’s a bit of a flippant remark, and that’s a terrible rugby ground to boot. I’m only saying maybe it would be better for the games that will pull a smaller attendance to pack out the north and Beaumont terrace rather than spreading 1000 or so fans out around the ground.

Would there be enough room for my drum though?

1 hour ago, jamesb0551 said:

You expect BSJ to dip his hands in his pockets for another fifteen quid a year ? :swoon: Big ask.

Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads.

George Bernard Shaw.

If a low attendance is expected then why not close south stand, get a better atmosphere in north stand, no steward cost for south stand and make more money. --- simples!  We could also contrive to lose the game to make even more money not having to pay winning pay.  ------     HOLD ON!  SOMETHING NOT QUITE RIGHT THERE!

7 hours ago, myview said:

If a low attendance is expected then why not close south stand, get a better atmosphere in north stand, no steward cost for south stand and make more money. --- simples!  

I’m sure we would save money but it would be ######. I managed one half sitting down last Sunday before deciding to stand in the rain thus ensuring I could t see anything at the other end of the pitch.  I’ll keep the south stand if it’s ok. Maybe just cut down from the 29 stewards to a more sensible number?

I wouldn't be surprised if the southstand is closed for the West Hull game. 

Common sense will help the club financially.. Treat it as a A Team game, don't think they'll be more than 500 Hardy souls. 

It's all pay so season tickets won't feel out of pocket. Closing the southstand is in the best interests of the club, the fans & most of all the bank. 

33 minutes ago, jamesb0551 said:

But people want to stand up so we should open it anyway......

I prefer to stand. However, given that it is a CC match with a shared gate and probability of a relatively low turnout, I fully understand the pragmatism of opening the main stand only.

I won't be happy about this but, then again, I never am.   :rtfm:

Could always close the North stand!!  .... surely the cost of opening the South stand would be less than the North stand ... the players could get changed in the gym!!   ... 

I'm sure the Hull lads have got changed in worse places!!  ....

For the avoidance doubt ... I know it's not feasible!!  .... and as practical as it might be to close the South stand ... some of us prefer to stand!! ... and not behind the sticks!!

It reminds me of the old main stand at Crown Flatt .... the first tier was all standing with the seats being on the second tier.... .... now that would be completely acceptable .. to all!!

On 3/14/2019 at 10:43 AM, coolie said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the southstand is closed for the West Hull game. 

Common sense will help the club financially.. Treat it as a A Team game, don't think they'll be more than 500 Hardy souls. 

It's all pay so season tickets won't feel out of pocket. Closing the southstand is in the best interests of the club, the fans & most of all the bank. 

Hate sitting and not keen on standing behind sticks but would be happy to see south stand closed for this game if it saves us a fortune. 

22 hours ago, NickD said:

Hate sitting and not keen on standing behind sticks but would be happy to see south stand closed for this game if it saves us a fortune. 

Low turn out

Shared gate

These are the kind of games we've to be flexible, and keep the expenditure down. 

I'd never expect the Southstand closed for the likes of Rochdale, Swinton, The Toronto closure was acceptable for the low crowd & TV. 

Archived