Barla cup

6 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

I wonder why then any community team enter the challenge cup as they have no chance of winning it.

Prestige, we managed to be included in the challenge cup on two occasions, lost to Barrow Island then the following year beat Askam & Thatto Heath before getting beat in the third round by Whitehaven

Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Prestige, we managed to be included in the challenge cup on two occasions, lost to Barrow Island then the following year beat Askam & Thatto Heath before getting beat in the third round by Whitehaven

So then is it the same reason teams do not enter the barla, the prestige has gone from it, not then the dates the games are played

44 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

So then is it the same reason teams do not enter the barla, the prestige has gone from it, not then the dates the games are played

I suppose some go into the BARLA cup to try their hand against higher opposition and why would BARLA need to change the dates of the competition.

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

I suppose some go into the BARLA cup to try their hand against higher opposition and why would BARLA need to change the dates of the competition.

So it can attract some decent teams and make it worth competing for,but that would mean the BARLA  hierarchy emerging from Die Bunker in deepest darkest Yorkshire and actually doing something proactive 

4 hours ago, Impartial Observer said:

I wonder why then any community team enter the challenge cup as they have no chance of winning it.

Attitudes have changed. The National cup used to be looked at as a bit of an adventure, a chance to play against teams that you may never play against again. At least 75% of the teams that used to enter knew they had no chance of winning but back then I played for a pub team called Staff of Life and we wanted to get drawn away in London or South Wales, etc. We would expect to lose but we would have a great day out. Costs are higher now as well. My own club don't enter because an away tie at Eastern Rhinos would cripple us financially. Marauder is right again on the NCL stance regarding the National cup too. When the NCL work out the fixtures they don't factor in the National cup and clubs are not allowed to postpone league games to play National cup ties. I'm not having a go at the NCL - it's a great league but I don't blame BARLA for sticking by their rules either. I would love nothing more than to see the National cup returned to its former glory. I have posted a list of previous finals elsewhere and I attended 34 of those finals.

13 hours ago, Celtic Rooster said:

Attitudes have changed. The National cup used to be looked at as a bit of an adventure, a chance to play against teams that you may never play against again. At least 75% of the teams that used to enter knew they had no chance of winning but back then I played for a pub team called Staff of Life and we wanted to get drawn away in London or South Wales, etc. We would expect to lose but we would have a great day out. Costs are higher now as well. My own club don't enter because an away tie at Eastern Rhinos would cripple us financially. Marauder is right again on the NCL stance regarding the National cup too. When the NCL work out the fixtures they don't factor in the National cup and clubs are not allowed to postpone league games to play National cup ties. I'm not having a go at the NCL - it's a great league but I don't blame BARLA for sticking by their rules either. I would love nothing more than to see the National cup returned to its former glory. I have posted a list of previous finals elsewhere and I attended 34 of those finals.

So now we have another reason for not entering, the cost, you could do what other clubs do if they do not fancy a long trip to the opposition, just give them the game.

Do barla consult the ncl about their dates for the rounds or even publish them anywhere so they could be looked at?  

1 hour ago, Impartial Observer said:

So now we have another reason for not entering, the cost, you could do what other clubs do if they do not fancy a long trip to the opposition, just give them the game.

Do barla consult the ncl about their dates for the rounds or even publish them anywhere so they could be looked at?  

With your knowledge surely you know it's all sorted before the season starts at the community board level and yes check the BARLA website for dates which are more or less around the same time every year, these dates don't seem to be to big a problem for NCL clubs, they've won it for the last few years.

1 hour ago, Marauder said:

With your knowledge surely you know it's all sorted before the season starts at the community board level and yes check the BARLA website for dates which are more or less around the same time every year, these dates don't seem to be to big a problem for NCL clubs, they've won it for the last few years.

I have looked on the website and cannot see the dates, can you help with the dates for the semis and the final?

Competition schedule:      

Prelim Round                            Saturday  12th  January    

Round one                                 Saturday    2nd February

Round two                                 Saturday    23rd February

Quarter Finals                          Saturday     9th  March

Semi finals                                 Saturday    30th March

Final:                                          Sunday     14th April

14 minutes ago, Impartial Observer said:

Thanks, I looked on the website but obviously in the wrong place

I thought the final was always at Easter 

Your club secretary would have got the dates when he got an application form.

They will be played on the same date and the clubs involved will have to decide where to send their first and second teams. Some might see the Challenge cup as more important or, they might think it would be more prestigious to win the National cup. It has happened in the past that if two clubs can agree a mutually acceptable alternative date to play a National cup tie - BARLA would have no objections. The problem with doing that though is that the NCL will not allow league games to be postponed to accommodate National cup ties.

Celtic Rooster & Marauder i agree with you both

BARLA never release game dates

NCL just add games to league fixtures hence why teams cant fullfil fixtures they commited to

How hard would it be for them to talk to each other and support teams trying to play rugby league and stop bitching and trying to get one over the over each other at the expense of lads playing rugby get a grip

Surely Barca & ncl should sit down together at the end of the season & agree dates for the following seasons Barca cup. Not rocket science, they should be working together. Preliminary & 1st round could be played just before ncl starts. 

4 hours ago, kev p said:

Surely Barca & ncl should sit down together at the end of the season & agree dates for the following seasons Barca cup. Not rocket science, they should be working together. Preliminary & 1st round could be played just before ncl starts. 

They do sit down and work out dates for major events and the county cups are played just before Christmas and to have two major trophies running at the same time would be to much disruption to the BARLA fixtures.

10 hours ago, Little no it all said:

Celtic Rooster & Marauder i agree with you both

BARLA never release game dates

NCL just add games to league fixtures hence why teams cant fullfil fixtures they commited to

How hard would it be for them to talk to each other and support teams trying to play rugby league and stop bitching and trying to get one over the over each other at the expense of lads playing rugby get a grip

BARLA did release all dates before the competition started, it was sent to the club secretaries on the application form.

5 hours ago, kev p said:

BARLA had the chance to bring in fresh blood/ideas a few years ago,instead they made sure new appointments stayed "in house" and so we are left with the mess we have now,BARLA a Yorkshire bias nonentity stuck in their ways who the NCL don't seem to want to work with for the good of the game.

18 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

BARLA had the chance to bring in fresh blood/ideas a few years ago,instead they made sure new appointments stayed "in house" and so we are left with the mess we have now,BARLA a Yorkshire bias nonentity stuck in their ways who the NCL don't seem to want to work with for the good of the game.

Didn't the NWC & Cumbrians take the RFL shilling along with the NCL

I'll agree with you on appointments which IMO has proved that jobs for the boys doesn't work, Time for those in charge to sit down with the forward thinking and thrashing out a system that will give everyone the chance to play during the tradition season.

2 hours ago, Marauder said:

Didn't the NWC & Cumbrians take the RFL shilling along with the NCL

I'll agree with you on appointments which IMO has proved that jobs for the boys doesn't work, Time for those in charge to sit down with the forward thinking and thrashing out a system that will give everyone the chance to play during the tradition season.

Sorry but the playing season shouldn't come into it when looking to revive the National Cup,it can span both,it only  needs a few forward thinking people with the best interests of the amateur game and a little bit of planning to make it work.

2 hours ago, Davo5 said:

Sorry but the playing season shouldn't come into it when looking to revive the National Cup,it can span both,it only  needs a few forward thinking people with the best interests of the amateur game and a little bit of planning to make it work.

How would you work it in bearing in mind that a lot of players are playing in both season and BARLA have far to many local cups as well as the county cups.

57 minutes ago, Marauder said:

How would you work it in bearing in mind that a lot of players are playing in both season and BARLA have far to many local cups as well as the county cups.

Never said it would be easy,you seem very good at putting over excuses,are you on the BARLA board ?

On second thoughts don't do anything,let this sorry excuse for a once great comp continue to wither away into obscurity,I'm sure BARLA will be happy when the dog & duck beat the plough mans arms in the final in a few years time,as long as they are Yorkshire pubs.

Archived