Eric Perez buys Hemel’s licence, with plans to create second Canadian club (Merged Threads)

15 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

My guess would be buying the license avoids clubs blocking a new entrant in someones mind.

The licenses for Oxford and Gloucester have been revoked I believe.

"Buying a Licence" might be a bit like the £500,000 "bond" bandied about in other recent contexts?

Gloucester are  definitely making the Southern Conference their priority. They seem to have maybe jumped the gun by getting their fixture list out before the official announcement happened. According to Wikipedia Oxford have merged with the Gloucester All Golds. One interesting thing about the Southern Conference is their is no automatic promotion route. Although some of the participant clubs have expressed a wish that this may change. So, as things stand there is no automatic relegation from League 1 and there is no guaranteed promotion from the Southern Conference. Clubs would have to make their own case.

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

"Buying a Licence" might be a bit like the £500,000 "bond" bandied about in other recent contexts?

Gloucester are  definitely making the Southern Conference their priority. They seem to have maybe jumped the gun by getting their fixture list out before the official announcement happened. According to Wikipedia Oxford have merged with the Gloucester All Golds. One interesting thing about the Southern Conference is their is no automatic promotion route. Although some of the participant clubs have expressed a wish that this may change. So, as things stand there is no automatic relegation from League 1 and there is no guaranteed promotion from the Southern Conference. Clubs would have to make their own case.

I read somewhere that Toronto paid an amount close to that when they were accepted three years ago, so there does seem to be a similarity there.

And by North American standards 500,000£ would be dirt cheap as a joining fee for pro sports, it's well below the value of all minor league franchises over here.

18 minutes ago, JCXV said:

What happens to people who like/play/watch Rugby League in Hemel Hempstead/Herts/Bucks/N.W. London? 

They can continue to do whatever they're doing this year in the absence of the Stags

7 minutes ago, JCXV said:

What happens to people who like/play/watch Rugby League in Hemel Hempstead/Herts/Bucks/N.W. London? 

We might just give up. ??

Or we might cotton on to some exciting teams playing in the new Southern Conference like the Bedford Tigers or the Brixton Bulls, Hammersmith Hills Hoists, North Herts Crusaders. 

There's also the Milton Keyenes Wolves that are looking to relaunch and inviting new players to make contact.

1 minute ago, Manfred Mann said:

If Perez has in fact bought Hemel Stags, I hope that he does not waste it on Hamilton. It should be New York or Montreal. Big city. Think big.

I don't see the need to destroy financially self sufficient UK clubs in order to make spaces for overseas clubs. It's wrong thinking. Expansion means expansion in the UK as well as expansion to other countries. Why kill a club that has been flying the RL flag in enemy territory for nearly four decades?? This club has punched above its weight for years. It's not about a name, a licence, it's about roots, commitment and doing the impossible when everyone said it couldn't be done. Bob Brown is a Rugby hero and deserves a Knighthood for services to the game. 

17 minutes ago, TIWIT said:

They can continue to do whatever they're doing this year in the absence of the Stags

Not absent ! Full fixture list in the public domain following the successful launch at London. Carry on supporting the Stags, in fact bring your mates, relatives, co-workers, whoever you like. We are in for a great sporting summer. Never mind twitter, go to a game, have fun. It might not be "Superleague" but it's local, accessible, affordable and fun. Good weather, nice people. Please support the fledgling teams in the new Southern Conference. It may take some time but the game has to go national and all growth is important.

25 minutes ago, Manfred Mann said:

If Perez has in fact bought Hemel Stags, I hope that he does not waste it on Hamilton. It should be New York or Montreal. Big city. Think big.

Looking forward to the facts.

43 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

I read somewhere that Toronto paid an amount close to that when they were accepted three years ago, so there does seem to be a similarity there.

And by North American standards 500,000£ would be dirt cheap as a joining fee for pro sports, it's well below the value of all minor league franchises over here.

Unfortunately, at this time,  it only gets you in at ground zero, semi pro, and your travelling expenses are going to be pretty obscene. However, with resources (like Toronto) you can be on the fast track to the top. But, you have to put in the hard yards and knock over all the smaller teams so you earn and get the respect. if things pan out right; in the long term, with major city clubs playing across North America, Europe, and linking up to Australasia this could be really massive in the long term.

2 minutes ago, Hemel Stag said:

Why, just why?? ?

Because Perez, like Argyle, has ambition. Something the game desperately needs.

1 minute ago, TIWIT said:

Because Perez, like Argyle, has ambition. Something the game desperately needs.

So you think two Canadian teams is more likely than bringing in USA, especially New York. I'm thinking ambition here, Hamilton v New York ? Hmmm.... Nope, don't see it.

34 minutes ago, Sparse Attendance said:

I’m amazed anyone would want to waste parting with their money, and putting it into a RL Club or starting one. The clowns at the circus at Redhall i would’ve thought would have put anyone off. 

That's why the sport needs a game changer, something new and uniquely ambitious which can lift its profile to heights undreamed of before with no involvement or input from those clowns or the traditional clubs which they are so determined to protect at all costs.

6 hours ago, JCXV said:

As much as I like the idea of a second Canadian club I’d sooner see a strong Hemel developed.

6 hours ago, Hemel Stag said:

I don't see the need to destroy financially self sufficient UK clubs in order to make spaces for overseas clubs. It's wrong thinking. Expansion means expansion in the UK as well as expansion to other countries. Why kill a club that has been flying the RL flag in enemy territory for nearly four decades??

I think the problem is that Hemel weren't financially self sufficient (granted, many teams aren't), were heavily reliant on RFL funds and took the decision, sensibly in my view, to move down in order to make themselves self sufficient (or at least more self sufficient).

As you have pointed out in an earlier post, there are an array of teams in the Southern Conference to watch. Hemel themselves exist within this Conference: https://www.rugby-league.com/article/54412/southern-conference-league--launched

Whatever the other criticisms of this, I don't think that Hemel have really "lost" anything other than their spot in League One and being subject to repeated hidings.

6 hours ago, Hemel Stag said:

I don't see the need to destroy financially self sufficient UK clubs in order to make spaces for overseas clubs. It's wrong thinking. Expansion means expansion in the UK as well as expansion to other countries. Why kill a club that has been flying the RL flag in enemy territory for nearly four decades?? This club has punched above its weight for years. It's not about a name, a licence, it's about roots, commitment and doing the impossible when everyone said it couldn't be done. Bob Brown is a Rugby hero and deserves a Knighthood for services to the game. 

Who has destroyed a financially sufficient club?

7 hours ago, JCXV said:

We decide the south coast is more appealing and move to Hastings.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

7 hours ago, TBone said:

Interesting because there isn’t any licence and the RFL Articles of Association state that membership is not transferable. Ergo he must have bought the club? In which case he would be vetted by the RFL as all owners are. To move the club he’d need permission from the RFL (and maybe the other members).

Sounds like a bit of a grey area then, he must have bought them before they resigned though

Except licences don't exist.....if you buy a controlling stake (51%+) in a club that holds membership then you buy membership. In theory you could move a club you own where you like and rename it what you like as long as the majority of other clubs don't object. The nearest thing to a licence would be the 3 non member clubs whom have Participation Agreements with the RFL which I guess you could call a licence, those Clubs may or may not hold membership of their own National Governing Bodies. Oxford, Hemel & Gloucestershire may still be member clubs, depends, if they've gone into liquidation or been dissolved then they won't be as those are grounds to be booted out, if they still exist as legal bodies holding membership and they made an agreement with the RFL to sit out of the structure for a number of seasons in exchange for not receiving central funding then they may still be member clubs. 

Maybe it's cultural differences between Australia and England but I'm not sure why Hemel fans are stressing about potentially losing their team over this situation. 

It'd make no sense for the new owners to completely shut down the operations of the Hemel club. If these rumors are in fact true and the people that own/operate Hemel have even half a brain between them then one of the stipulations of the sale would be that Hemel continue to be operated as a feeder club for the new club that is taking their League 1 license, and if Perez and his investors had half a brain they'd see that as a massive bonus.

It's a win-win, Perez and his investors get their license to enter a new club into League 1 and on top of that they get a ready made feeder system as well that they can use to feed Canadian/American players into to develop them until they establish a local feeder system in the new clubs city, and since they'd own Hemel the local players that Hemel produce from their system would feed into the new club as well. While yes Hemel would sell their license to participate in the professional tiers (which if I understand correctly they weren't coping with to well anyway, and were teetering on the edge of folding), and I understand that it may be disappointing to many fans to lose their spot in the pro system, but in return Hemel would get financial backing and certainty that they'll continue to exist for the foreseeable future, an injection of cash into the club to develop players and the local competition, and there's still a direct route for local players into the pro structure.

That's what would happen in Australia most of the time, the exceptions being if egos got involved or the people looking to buy the license and/or club can't afford to maintain the old club for it's feeder system on top of their operations at the new club, but if egos do get involved or Perez and his lot can't afford it then Hemel simply doesn't sell the license to them...

So yeah, if the rumours are true and Perez or whoever is trying to buy Hemel's license then calm down because however things turn out Hemel should be fine so long as the club isn't run by idiots. The clubs situation may change, and I can understand being disappointed at not being in one of the big leagues anymore, but in the grand scheme of things the club will be fine. 

3 hours ago, The Great Dane said:

Maybe it's cultural differences between Australia and England but I'm not sure why Hemel fans are stressing about potentially losing their team over this situation. 

It'd make no sense for the new owners to completely shut down the operations of the Hemel club. If these rumors are in fact true and the people that own/operate Hemel have even half a brain between them then one of the stipulations of the sale would be that Hemel continue to be operated as a feeder club for the new club that is taking their League 1 license, and if Perez and his investors had half a brain they'd see that as a massive bonus.

It's a win-win, Perez and his investors get their license to enter a new club into League 1 and on top of that they get a ready made feeder system as well that they can use to feed Canadian/American players into to develop them until they establish a local feeder system in the new clubs city, and since they'd own Hemel the local players that Hemel produce from their system would feed into the new club as well. While yes Hemel would sell their license to participate in the professional tiers (which if I understand correctly they weren't coping with to well anyway, and were teetering on the edge of folding), and I understand that it may be disappointing to many fans to lose their spot in the pro system, but in return Hemel would get financial backing and certainty that they'll continue to exist for the foreseeable future, an injection of cash into the club to develop players and the local competition, and there's still a direct route for local players into the pro structure.

That's what would happen in Australia most of the time, the exceptions being if egos got involved or the people looking to buy the license and/or club can't afford to maintain the old club for it's feeder system on top of their operations at the new club, but if egos do get involved or Perez and his lot can't afford it then Hemel simply doesn't sell the license to them...

So yeah, if the rumours are true and Perez or whoever is trying to buy Hemel's license then calm down because however things turn out Hemel should be fine so long as the club isn't run by idiots. The clubs situation may change, and I can understand being disappointed at not being in one of the big leagues anymore, but in the grand scheme of things the club will be fine. 

There is a great opportunity here for Hemel!...the lack of vision by many on this site is shocking, and yet tragic at the same time.  

Think about it for a moment...just take a second to think about things for a moment before reverting, like so many are prone to do, to a defacto negative position.

Firstly, the team would be hybrid in nature due to weather....splitting the season between a NA base and a Hemel base....top quality rugby back to Hemel with a whole new angle....the positive extrapolations for Hemel are endless...pathway to higher leagues for Hemel players....financial security...new partnerships...international exposure....etc.....etc....

Grasp this moment Hemel.....a gift horse (a stallion) has magically appeared to you and opened its mouth even....put the halter on that baby right now!!!!!!  Its could be one hell of a ride to the Promised Land!

Onwards and upwards....SEIZE THE DAY!

Archived