RIP Peter Fox

Keep The Faith

Famous, amongst many other things for once, when he was the Batley goalkicker and Batley were awarded a penalty one yard out in the nine oyl corner, for placing the ball on the ground ( no kicking tees in those days) and aiming for goal. His intention, I'm sure was to kick crossfield for the Batley players to challenge and hopefully score a try on the far side of the field. Incredibly and probably to his intense disappointment, he somehow managed to kick the ball between the posts. I was standing directly behind him when he kicked and couldn't believe he had scored. Can't remember the year or even the opposition I'm afraid.

A great character

RIP Peter

That  has to be around 1960/61 Bromley! A sad day for the whole of RL and sad for us at Batley for the service of one of the game's biggest characters as player and coach. Hope we shall give him the respect he deserves prior to our next home game 

He played in the famous victory over second favourites Hull KR in the Challenge Cup back in the mid 1960s.  He had just rejoined us from Hull KR.  

He was blind in one eye which probably accounts for his goal kicks and long passes sometimes going awry.  But a shrewd Rugby League brain which saw him have a long coaching career at club level, unbeaten as Yorkshire coach despite Lancashire supposedly having the better players, and a famous victory in charge of GB against what was said to be one of the all time great Australian sides.

Really sad news.  RIP

On 2/26/2019 at 6:11 PM, phildog said:

That  has to be around 1960/61 Bromley! A sad day for the whole of RL and sad for us at Batley for the service of one of the game's biggest characters as player and coach. Hope we shall give him the respect he deserves prior to our next home game 

I agree and since the next home game is Bradford another former club hopefully he gets a wonderful send off 

37 minutes ago, Bi11 said:

I don't know if this is just ambiguous or a genuine mistake but I don't recall Peter Fox ever being our first team coach.  Possible confusion with his brother Don? 

correct Peter didn't coach at Batley but played twice 57/63 and 64/66 first  spell played  148 scoring 12 tries kicking 70 goals second time played 32  scoring 1 try    kicking 33 goals   Don coached Batley 72/74

RIP Peter Fox. A true Yorkshireman from a great Rugby League trio of famous brothers. A great servant at the Mount, and famously coached  Bradford Northern on the night when Big Jeff Grayson walked his team off the pitch in disgust against Hull KR back in May 1982 after 6 red cards had been given in the game.

Archived