If we brought back licensing....

Mr Plow

12 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Cumbria is a mess,

The fans said they would not watch a combined team. As it happens the fans aren't watching them as seperate entities!

Successful amateur clubs,

An academy was ran by the RFL

2 clubs slowly dieing

Now where would Cumbria RL be if they combined??

Probably in a new stadia with a successful academy and good links to amateur clubs all over Cumbria.

Manchester has scarily similar problems with their clubs.

Calder not too bad, but only Cas are producing players and there is a constant deadlock with stadia due to the council bot supporting any bids as tbey dont want to appear biased.

Widnes and Leigh fight on seperatly but in reality they have lost the arm wrestle in their areas and the best kids don't sign for their academy's the fan numbers will never be there to support FT clubs and the chances are they will eventually end us going the way of Bramley.

Anyone who is against mergers need look no further than the Catalan merger and how it has transformed RL in that heartland of the game!

But thats the point , the fans ARE the clubs , if leigh had merged with Wigan , and become ' Wigan ' would I have stepped foot inside the JJB/WD ? , certainly , but I'd have been watching Wigan Athletic , if I wanted RL it would have been miners or easts

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Tell them they won't get a licence as seperate entities,

This technically was done with the  sheffield hudds and gateshead hull mergers.

Gateshead and Hull wasn't a merger, the Gateshead franchise was moved there when Hull Sharks went bust. And the Hudd/Sheff merger stank the place out when it was agreed they played alternate home games, but Sheffield only staged one and that was it.

7 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Tell them they won't get a licence as seperate entities,

This technically was done with the  sheffield hudds and gateshead hull mergers.

So one of them ends up with a SL licence , playing in front the fans of whichever club played at the stadium used , the rest walk away , so yes in 20 years you might get to the point where the new club equals the support of the combined , providing no pheonix club has risen , as has happened with your examples

The ' net ' gain has been what ?

2 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What criteria ?

The criteria for a licence which they failed on... from memory

Stadium not good enough after empty promises to rectify

Not having enough fans (8k)

Not spending full cap

Academy not good enough

Not enough marketing...

1 minute ago, yipyee said:

The criteria for a licence which they failed on... from memory

Stadium not good enough after empty promises to rectify

Not having enough fans (8k)

Not spending full cap

Academy not good enough

Not enough marketing...

So you're back to your 7 team SL again ?

7 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

But thats the point , the fans ARE the clubs , if leigh had merged with Wigan , and become ' Wigan ' would I have stepped foot inside the JJB/WD ? , certainly , but I'd have been watching Wigan Athletic , if I wanted RL it would have been miners or easts

No the fans are not the clubs, the purpose of sport is not to entertain the masses!!

Does your locsl amatwur side tirn out to entertain one man and his dog?

5 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

So one of them ends up with a SL licence , playing in front the fans of whichever club played at the stadium used , the rest walk away , so yes in 20 years you might get to the point where the new club equals the support of the combined , providing no pheonix club has risen , as has happened with your examples

Cumbria is a perfect example of the failures of not merging

Catalan are a perfect example of the successes of merging

8 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

A superleague

5 minutes ago, yipyee said:

No the fans are not the clubs, the purpose of sport is not to entertain the masses!!

Does your locsl amatwur side tirn out to entertain one man and his dog?

Yes the fans are the club , they are the reason the clubs were formed in the 1 st place , and without them there is NO reason for the club to exist

Why is proffessional sport ' Professional ' , because people want to be entertained watching sport

9 minutes ago, RP London said:

And what?

You asked a question I answered it..

So how many Gateshead fans support a SL side in Hull ? , how many Sheffield supporters support a SL side in Huddersfield ?

They merged after all

Just now, GUBRATS said:

So how many Gateshead fans support a SL side in Hull ? , how many Sheffield supporters support a SL side in Huddersfield ?

They merged after all

I've not said anything about that I simply answered the question you asked... 

on those though its not quite the same as merging 2 entities right next door to each other... its a very different, very stupid scenario but it shows how you can make teams do it, which was, after all, the question YOU asked and I answered.

10 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Cumbria is a perfect example of the failures of not merging

Catalan are a perfect example of the successes of merging

Start up a completely new competition that no cumbrian club or their previous competitiors have played in and they would happily merge to create a new club and the fans possibly might support it , that is what the Catalan fans did and do , that isnt what you are asking the haven and Town clubs to do

3 minutes ago, RP London said:

I've not said anything about that I simply answered the question you asked...

on those though its not quite the same as merging 2 entities right next door to each other... its a very different, very stupid scenario but it shows how you can make teams do it, which was, after all, the question YOU asked and I answered.

You can make the clubs do it , the name of the club , the limited company that owns and runs the clubs , but not the fans , and without the fans the club has no point in existing , so it doesnt

Before you decide on a structure / participants you have to answer 1 question

Are you planning on suiting the current fans or on suiting the TV audience as the answer to that question determines whether mergers/rebrands/franchises are sensible routes

If you are aiming for current fans/the heartland then West Yorks Wanderers is a mistake as it has no "soul", if you are aiming for a TV audience then licences/franchise by geographic coverage makes sense but if you are oging that orute you have to forget sentimentality and expect to loose big names from the sport (as well as a lot of die hard fans) 

I am sure someone somewhere has a formulae to guess which route gains more than it loses but they seem to be hiding it well

18 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Yes the fans are the club , they are the reason the clubs were formed in the 1 st place , and without them there is NO reason for the club to exist

Why is proffessional sport ' Professional ' , because people want to be entertained watching sport

Clubs are formed for people to play sport!!!

Clearly you have lost the plot

Right , lets get this straight , THE only succssesful ' MERGER ' that I know of in british based sport is the Catalan Dragons , BUT they had never played in the British competition before , they had never competed against any of the clubs they would then be playing against , they entered for them a cpmpletely new competition against completely new clubs

so if you want me [ and the 100,000 other fans of proffessional RL in the UK ] to start following new merged clubs , set up a brand new competition with brand new clubs

London North west

London South East

Birmingham

Bristol

South Wales

North wales

Liverpool

Manchester

West Yorkshire

South Yorkshire

Glasgow

Northumbria

These all to play at non current RL venues outside of the season that the existing clubs play in a completely new compatition , and I'll decide if I want to follow one of them as well as or instead of Leigh , problem solved

3 minutes ago, SSoutherner said:

Before you decide on a structure / participants you have to answer 1 question

Are you planning on suiting the current fans or on suiting the TV audience as the answer to that question determines whether mergers/rebrands/franchises are sensible routes

If you are aiming for current fans/the heartland then West Yorks Wanderers is a mistake as it has no "soul", if you are aiming for a TV audience then licences/franchise by geographic coverage makes sense but if you are oging that orute you have to forget sentimentality and expect to loose big names from the sport (as well as a lot of die hard fans)

I am sure someone somewhere has a formulae to guess which route gains more than it loses but they seem to be hiding it well

See my above post

2 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Clubs are formed for people to play sport!!!

Clearly you have lost the plot

Amateur clubs are formed for people to play sports , proffessional clubs were formed for people to pay to watch sport , if you dont realise that then you have lost the plot

19 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

What merged clubs / , show me which clubs have succssesfully merged in UK sport ?

Bury, stoke

Newcastle United!!!

QPR 

Ipswich

Watford

Luton

And loads more in soccer

LSH in english union 

Also the Welsh region's were merged teams and their national team are on a 12 game unbeaten run and could win another grand slam.

Rugby league you have hudds/Sheffield

Hull and gateshead in recent times.

3 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Amateur clubs are formed for people to play sports , proffessional clubs were formed for people to pay to watch sport , if you dont realise that then you have lost the plot

I think you'll find that back in the day all clubs were amateur until they broke away and formed RL....

Any true RL  fan knows this!

Fans started to watch but again this wasn't the main reason people play the game. They are not WWF wrestlers!

10 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Right , lets get this straight , THE only succssesful ' MERGER ' that I know of in british based sport is the Catalan Dragons , BUT they had never played in the British competition before , they had never competed against any of the clubs they would then be playing against , they entered for them a cpmpletely new competition against completely new clubs

so if you want me [ and the 100,000 other fans of proffessional RL in the UK ] to start following new merged clubs , set up a brand new competition with brand new clubs

London North west

London South East

Birmingham

Bristol

South Wales

North wales

Liverpool

Manchester

West Yorkshire

South Yorkshire

Glasgow

Northumbria

These all to play at non current RL venues outside of the season that the existing clubs play in a completely new compatition , and I'll decide if I want to follow one of them as well as or instead of Leigh , problem solved

I would be happy for a few disgruntled fans to disappear and the new merged clubs go about attracting new positive fans!

The above list is good but you would need to focus on the areas that already play the game. Also there arnt the players for a seperate comp so this would have to be the main comp...

Archived