Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
John Drake

2-3 Mar: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Spicer said:

Maybe not but he won’t have  Super League DR players available like Thunder today. Only those not required from Broncos who are let’s be fair a Championship standard as a starting 13. Those DR players are also young and have  little experience unlike the opposition they are likely to meet this season when it comes to dual reg. 

This is a pretty fair assessment of where Skolars are at currently.

I really rate the Broncos youngsters Hindmarsh, Meadows, Boafo as great prospects, but they are on the way up at the beginning of their professional careers.

The Broncos u19s with ~5  Broncos u20/21 1st teamers hammered Skolars in the 1st half of a pre season friendly . It was only in 2nd half of the friendly when the Broncos largely put on the younger 17yr olds that Skolars had their fight back.

The supporters frustration is two part. Skolars again were good in the 1st half today and I thought they were going to win comfortably, but it fell apart completely in the 2nd half a trend that was common last season.  Secondly a couple of seasons ago, Skolars finished in the top half of table and were starting to really threaten and beat some of the heartland teams - I don’t see any real progression. Undoubtably league 1 has got stronger in this time and it is starting to be perhaps generous to say Skolars have hit a plateau, when realistically they may have fallen further behind and the gap is widening.

I really hope Skolars can turn it around. They do a great job to raise the profile of rugby league in North/East London at school, community and open age level on a very limited budget and the club seems to be run on a sensible financial plan that puts the long term future of the club at its heart.

Edited by dead man inc
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at attending the Keighley-Coventry game this afternoon. Ought to be close anyway but the forecast heavy rain should be a real leveller. I don't often watch heartlands versus non-heartlands fixtures (because I don't enjoy one-sided rugby league) but happy to make an exception for this. And, of course, put a few quid in Keighley's coffers at the start of their 'new/old' venture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dead man inc said:

This is a pretty fair assessment of where Skolars are at currently.

I really rate the Broncos youngsters Hindmarsh, Meadows, Boafo as great prospects, but they are on the way up at the beginning of their professional careers.

The Broncos u19s with ~5  Broncos u20/21 1st teamers hammered Skolars in the 1st half of a pre season friendly . It was only in 2nd half of the friendly when the Broncos largely put on the younger 17yr olds that Skolars had their fight back.

The supporters frustration is two part. Skolars again were good in the 1st half today and I thought they were going to win comfortably, but it fell apart completely in the 2nd half a trend that was common last season.  Secondly a couple of seasons ago, Skolars finished in the top half of table and were starting to really threaten and beat some of the heartland teams - I don’t see any real progression. Undoubtably league 1 has got stronger in this time and it is starting to be perhaps generous to say Skolars have hit a plateau, when realistically they may have fallen further behind and the gap is widening.

I really hope Skolars can turn it around. They do a great job to raise the profile of rugby league in North/East London at school, community and open age level on a very limited budget and the club seems to be run on a sensible financial plan that puts the long term future of the club at its heart.

Absolutely spot on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

needed that win, was worried when we went 12-4 down, though came back strongly, with the squad of players we have, we should be winning games, hooker keal carlile played fantastic today who we signed from featherstone pre season, looked a class above at hooker, finn played well too, agoro very good, now we need to kick on from this, glad i made the journey to london, been a great 2 nights, onwards and upwards!!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taking nothing away from Keighley who were excellent but a poor performance from the Bears today. Conditions a major factor and Keighley played alot better in horrendous weather. After being comfortable early leading 8-0 Keighley came back into it. When Keighley took the lead the Bears couldn't get back into the game. Finished 40-8 with Keighley running away with it 2nd half 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very enjoyable match at the Keepmoat. Couple of unexpected selections. Miloudi showed his undoubted star quality. Great performance (again) from Beharrell. Great scrum half. Backs were generally strong. Town were dominant in the forwards. Langtrees performance was worth 2 forwards for Donny. Real handful. Took a length of the field from a lad from Scawsby to win it. Very satisfied.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

Taking nothing away from Keighley who were excellent but a poor performance from the Bears today. Conditions a major factor and Keighley played alot better in horrendous weather. After being comfortable early leading 8-0 Keighley came back into it. When Keighley took the lead the Bears couldn't get back into the game. Finished 40-8 with Keighley running away with it 2nd half 

Also at Keighley, checking out the early days of Cougarmania II. As a neutral, I was hoping for a closer contest. To me, Coventry didn't seem to have the stomach for the fight as the conditions worsened. Once Keighley hit the front, in the 36th minute, there was going to be only one winner. Two tries, one converted, inside three minutes early in the second half killed off the Coventry challenge. Keighley's forwards were well on top throughout the second 40 minutes. In the mudbath, Cougars scrum-half Benn Hardcastle's goalkicking was excellent, I felt. Coventry did win one thing: the home man of the match award, which went to Jack Coventry! Keighley were hoping for a 1,000 crowd. On a foul afternoon, 915 was pretty close, and Coventry's travelling support could have come in a wheelbarrow. Admission was a bargain tenner (I paid the £2 extra to sit in the main stand - always a good view from the uppermost rows of benches). Congratulations to Keighley on issuing a fine, 'proper' programme, a printed 56-pager selling for £3. Lots of reading. The best programme I've seen this season. Free teamsheets also available from the club shop. All the elements of Cougarmania I were back. A fun afternoon. I'll certainly return to Keighley this season.

Edited by Hopping Mad
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rob Nash said:

Very enjoyable match at the Keepmoat. Couple of unexpected selections. Miloudi showed his undoubted star quality. Great performance (again) from Beharrell. Great scrum half. Backs were generally strong. Town were dominant in the forwards. Langtrees performance was worth 2 forwards for Donny. Real handful. Took a length of the field from a lad from Scawsby to win it. Very satisfied.

Two poor teams today IMO Rob. I couldn’t see Worky scoring until they actually did! Donny don’t know how to defend a lead. Two weeks running they have been 12-0 up and managed to let the opposition back into the game. Hunslet took advantage whereas Worky didn’t know how to take advantage. Donny scored a long ranger from Miloudi and an interception from Cross. Outside of that there wasn’t too much between the teams. I suppose at the end of the day two points are two points.


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh Gawd, another chapter for the Cru's book 'How to Throw Away a Game from a Comfortable Position' (now running to 589 volumes!). Part the way through the second half we were 14-6 up and looking in control when an unnecessary pass was intercepted for a breakaway try which was followed not long after by the winner. All credit to Oldham, though, who after a first half where their kicking game had gone missing and their discipline wasn't all it might be, stuck at the task. 357 of us there on a truly atrocious afternoon (I've only just dried out) including a good turn out by Oldham, you're always welcome.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The baby steps  of West Wales Raiders went a bit off balance today.Awful display in awful weather conditions.

Not one for bagging officials, but they weren't very good.

We have also introduced ourselves to the disciplinary.

Least said soonest mended.

Newcastle and a 4g pitch next up on 2 occasions - the 1st just 6 days away.

A short time to put things right.

With Workington and Coventry losing, unpredictability and lack of consistency seems in vogue.

I would quite like the same to apply to West Wales Raiders.

Saturday would be a good time to start.

 

 

 

 


     No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hopping Mad said:

,.. and Coventry's travelling support could have come in a wheelbarrow. 

Luckily we didn't or it would have ended up being thrown at the awful ground announcer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Oh Gawd, another chapter for the Cru's book 'How to Throw Away a Game from a Comfortable Position' (now running to 589 volumes!). Part the way through the second half we were 14-6 up and looking in control when an unnecessary pass was intercepted for a breakaway try which was followed not long after by the winner. All credit to Oldham, though, who after a first half where their kicking game had gone missing and their discipline wasn't all it might be, stuck at the task. 357 of us there on a truly atrocious afternoon (I've only just dried out) including a good turn out by Oldham, you're always welcome.

The thing is Steve is that we played well apart from a couple of moments of madness/ill discipline that cost us. I thought we were definitely the better team. Fair play to Oldham they didn’t give up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Oh Gawd, another chapter for the Cru's book 'How to Throw Away a Game from a Comfortable Position' (now running to 589 volumes!). Part the way through the second half we were 14-6 up and looking in control when an unnecessary pass was intercepted for a breakaway try which was followed not long after by the winner. All credit to Oldham, though, who after a first half where their kicking game had gone missing and their discipline wasn't all it might be, stuck at the task. 357 of us there on a truly atrocious afternoon (I've only just dried out) including a good turn out by Oldham, you're always welcome.

Gutted to lose a game where we were in the acendancy. The breakaway try killed us. Lots of Oldham supporters said they got out of jail.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Oh Gawd, another chapter for the Cru's book 'How to Throw Away a Game from a Comfortable Position' (now running to 589 volumes!). Part the way through the second half we were 14-6 up and looking in control when an unnecessary pass was intercepted for a breakaway try which was followed not long after by the winner. All credit to Oldham, though, who after a first half where their kicking game had gone missing and their discipline wasn't all it might be, stuck at the task. 357 of us there on a truly atrocious afternoon (I've only just dried out) including a good turn out by Oldham, you're always welcome.

The game turned on it's head with that breakaway try, gutted to lose after being 14-0 up against one of the promotion favourites.

The attendance was announced as 426. Great support from Oldham as usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Clwydianrange obviously knows who I am - this week's problem is trying to work out who they are. I didn't hear the attendance announcement, someone told me it - somewhere along the line this afternoon I lost one of my hearing aids, I've e-mailed the club to see if it's been handed in

Edited for spelling,

Edited by Chronicler of Chiswick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chronicler of Chiswick said:

Clwydianrange obviously knows who I am - this week's problem is trying to work out who they are. I didn't hear the attendance announcement, someone told me it - somewhere along the line this afternoon I lost one of my hearing aids, I've e-mailed the club to see if it's been handed in

Edited for spelling,

I’ll type louder for your benefit CoC.


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...